Which Tank Bag Do You Use?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitelife

Reaction score
As I anxiously await my new FJR I am searching for a tank bag. Please tell me what you use and why. Pictures or links would be great!

Thanks,

Larry

I use a large Cortec(sp) expandable. It holds a ton of stuff, and is srill out of the way. Was leery of the magnetic mount, but hasn't moved around at speeds in excess of 100mph, Detatchable map pocket is good, also.

I use a cortech super mini magnetic and it's been great.

not too big but it holds important stuff.

Phone,keys,badges for work,flashlight etc.

I use a Tourmaster Cortech super mini magnetic tank bag for most rides. I just bought a Tourmaster Cortech mini magnetic tank bag for longer trips.

One is, and one will be, wired to a Powerlet w/ 2 cigar outlets inside the bag.

Quality stuff!

I bought a Yamaha factory tank bag from FJR Goodies. While the fit is nice , I find it large for daily use. I also purchased a Joe Rocket Manta bag which has a fairly low profile, fits well, and is available in four colors. It's a great size for electronics and smaller stuff. My brother uses the Cortec super mini, I also concur that it is an excellent choice as well. :D

BTW, Always make sure you don't have any debris, both metallic or not on the bottom of the magnets before installing bags. It's really easy to scratch the paint with embedded debris. I would HIGHLY recommend you DO NOT keep any cards or wallets with magnetic swipe bars on them or they WILL be erased by the rare earth magnets in some of these bags. :blink:

I use a Tourmaster Cortech super mini magnetic tank bag for most rides.  I just bought a Tourmaster Cortech mini magnetic tank bag for longer trips. 
One is, and one will be, wired to a Powerlet w/ 2 cigar outlets inside the bag. 

Quality stuff!
+1 (I think he means a mini and a big bag both magnetic mount)

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a Yamaha factory tank bag from FJR Goodies. While the fit is nice , I find it large for daily use. I also purchased a Joe Rocket Manta bag which has a fairly low profile, fits well, and is available in four colors. It's a great size for electronics and smaller stuff. My brother uses the Cortec super mini, I also concur that it is an excellent choice as well. :D
BTW, Always make sure you don't have any debris, both metallic or not on the bottom of the magnets before installing bags. It's really easy to scratch the paint with embedded debris. I would HIGHLY recommend you DO NOT keep any cards or wallets with magnetic swipe bars on them or they WILL be erased by the rare earth magnets in some of these bags. :blink:
I keep and Ipod, wallet, camera, etc.... in my Cortech Mag bag and never had a problem. The magnets are shielded, so they don't hurt anything.

I use a Marsee (www.marseeproducts.com) 18 liter magnetic mount. Marsee makes very high quality bags and gear. Check out the etankbags.

i've got the fjr factory bag also. i like the large size. doesn't get in the way, i can keep my clear (or tinted) shield in there, as well as anything else i want. never keep my hard bags on unless i'm traveling and the larger tank bag is much more versatile in what i can carry, to and from work or where ever.

-b

I also have the Tourmaster Cortech tank bag. Worked great on the Vstrom and should do the same on the FJR. Has a small expansion zipper but I never used it. Holds the essentials and keeps them handy. No problems with the magnets.

TourMaster Cortech Mini Magnetic modified for my GPS...

tankbagbikeSmall.jpg

Souldn't this topic be in the endless oil, gas, and shaving cream threads section? :D

Souldn't this topic be in the endless oil, gas, and shaving cream threads section? :D
Hmmmmm..........you got a point there O god of the knuter valves. It does belong in Parts and Accessories, so..........Abra Cadabra...........Poof!

As for the topic, as you can see tank bags are like most other motorcycle stuff, everybody loves what they got.

As for that Cortech mini bag - Way too friggin small. You know what they say about a tank bag representing the size of a man's........uhhhh..........appendage. NO? Well you should.

I have as many others do, the big Yammie magnetic tank bag:

TankbagSide.jpg

Which is available here: FJRGoodies.com

My second favorite tank bag, which I have never owned, is the Tank Locker:

tank2a.jpg

Its pretty trick as it locks to the gas cap ring. That way it sits off your tank so it never gets scratched, and it can't be stolen either (unless they cut it off).

You can get the Tank Locker, as well as other cool stuff here: LuggageLocker.com

Good luck!

Marsee makes great bags I used one (Mr Pockets) for years on my Buell.

For the FJR I run the 2pc JoeRocket "Sport" that has the zip-off "backpack" that goes on top.

Problems:

The strap for the steering neck to hold the bag on the bike is too short - can't use it on the FJR.

With the D&D risers I can't use the top part zipped on - the bars hit it unless I slide it back practically into my lap.

So I only run the bottom part and don't use the hold-down strap.

I added the Powerlet PowerMate and now run all my electronics in the bag.

This sight is costing me $$$$ everytime I look at it!! :eek: Now I've ordered the Cortec Super Mini Magnetic bag -- this, after the Super Brace, Wild Bill pegs, and the Radiatior guard last month. Does it ever end?????? :blink: Jay