Who discounts OEM parts?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Santa rides a Ducati! :yahoo:
AND....he manages to make the 1100 look rather tiny, doesn't he. :blink:

My reply above was meant only in a completely generic sense and (definitely) not in regard to the flame thrower daddyg in this thread.
We do have a (somewhat deserved) reputation for jumping on newbs posting NEPRT questions with the SY (Search Yourself!) and RTFR! (Read the Farking Rules!) responses. This guy, OTOH, was just waiting in the wings to whip that reputation out to shake things up, since nobody actually told the OP that.
I completely understand, Fred. We (The FJR Forum) have earned that reputation. It's all too easy for some to type ascerbic and less-than-helpful responses. We sometimes forget how overwhelming it is to learn the ropes here and access the information that is available if one knows HOW to find an answer. And, like schoolyard bullies, once someone is down others join in the "fun"....or is that a shark feeding-frenzy at the expense of an innocent new member.

Daddyg was probably run over by a freight train of less-than-helpful or oblivious members and still hurts from the experience. I think we forum members do much more harm than good in our rush to be humorous, or the first to be pointless. Thankfully I was treated with a bit more respect and the owners were much more gentile and helpful when I first joined the "green room" in '03 while waiting for my FJR to arrive (for those who remember and/or participated in the PDP).

Last edited by a moderator:
Might as well step back in . . . . .

I'm assuming daddyq has a reading comprehension problem. My post not only answered the OP's question, it pointed out that he may not even need to buy the thing he asked about in the first place, it may be lying around somebody's bench or shop cabinet. Then I suggested a way to find discount vendors, even though I didn't actually list any. The list that comes from my suggested search is rather large.

ONLY THEN did I go to the FAQs and New Owners section suggestions, at the same time pointing out that he'd already been directed there.

I'm very conscious of running somebody off the forum with rudeness. Some of them deserve it, because they really don't pay attention to anything given them, but they won't get that from me in my first response. (The guy last year comes to mind, with the problem going into first gear, insisting it couldn't be the clutch but never actually checking the clutch as suggested. It started nicely . . . .)

n00bs will always have questions that are ancient history to the rest of us. That's why we built the FAQs and New Owners sections. Some folks just can't be bothered, or don't quite understand that that's what's in there. It's hard to digest that much material on a computer screen for some people. Fine. But running somebody off by saying "Here's the answer, you twit!" will run them off the forum. Had I been run off the forum in 2007, Nitrotate might still be trying to figure out his starter interlock relay problem. You never know what might come from it when a n00b grows up.

People can name off all their favorite parts places until their blue in the face. But that still doesn't change the fact that Zanotti beats them all.Prove me wrong.
OK...

'06 L.H. Side Case -- $504 @ Zanotti; $456 @ Yamaha Sports Plaza
Well Done Sir!

Everybody give it up for charismaticmegafauna! He accepted my challenge and found a new pars source price leader. I checked several items and sure enough, YSP was cheaper than Zanotti on all counts. I guess Zanotti ain't 'the shizzle' anymore.

Way to go cmmf!
Not so fast!!

I'm in need of a few Yamaha gold trinkets so I did the old online price comparo between the two aforementioned stealers:

Yamaha Sports Plaza:

SKU ------------------ Item ------------------------------------------------------------- Price

5JW-14451-00-00 --- ELEMENT, AIR CLEANER ----------------------------------- $22.21

5JW-15461-01-00 --- GASKET, CRANKCASE COVER 2 (5JW-15461-00-00) - $10.05

5JW-15456-00-00 --- GASKET, OIL PUMP COVER 1 ------------------------------ $4.06

5JW-12210-10-00 --- TENSIONER ASSY, CAM CHAIN (5JW-12210-01-00) --- $85.99

Total = $122.31

Zanotti's

SKU ------------------ Item ------------------------------------------------------------- Price

5JW-14451-00-00 --- ELEMENT, AIR CLEANER ----------------------------------- $21.98

5JW-15461-01-00 --- GASKET, CRANKCASE COVER 2 (5JW-15461-00-00) - $8.64

5JW-15456-00-00 --- GASKET, OIL PUMP COVER 1 ------------------------------ $3.53

5JW-12210-10-00 --- TENSIONER ASSY, CAM CHAIN (5JW-12210-01-00) --- $73.96

Total = $108.11

As you can see, Zanotti beat Plaza on every item. Zanotti does charge full boat on shipping ($16.97 for the above) but Plaza would charge me $17.44.

Zanotti is getting my business.

Not so fast!!
I'm in need of a few Yamaha gold trinkets so I did the old online price comparo between the two aforementioned stealers:

Yamaha Sports Plaza:

5JW-14451-00-00 --- ELEMENT, AIR CLEANER ----------------------------------- $22.21

5JW-15461-01-00 --- GASKET, CRANKCASE COVER 2 (5JW-15461-00-00) - $10.05

5JW-15456-00-00 --- GASKET, OIL PUMP COVER 1 ------------------------------ $4.06

5JW-12210-10-00 --- TENSIONER ASSY, CAM CHAIN (5JW-12210-01-00) --- $85.99

Total = $122.31

Zanotti's

5JW-14451-00-00 --- ELEMENT, AIR CLEANER ----------------------------------- $21.98

5JW-15461-01-00 --- GASKET, CRANKCASE COVER 2 (5JW-15461-00-00) - $8.64

5JW-15456-00-00 --- GASKET, OIL PUMP COVER 1 ------------------------------ $3.53

5JW-12210-10-00 --- TENSIONER ASSY, CAM CHAIN (5JW-12210-01-00) --- $73.96

Total = $108.11

As you can see, Zanotti beat Plaza on every item. Zanotti does charge full boat on shipping ($16.97 for the above) but Plaza would charge me $17.44.

Zanotti is getting my business.
Interesting.

Zanottie had always been the low price leader on EVERYTHING pretty much, but when I checked a few high price items the other day they were way off. I don't get it.

Meanwhile, I still miss Gary McCoy... a LOT!

He sure had excellent pricing, a wealth of knowledge, quick and reasonable shipping.

I hope he landed on his feet somewhere that appreciates him as much as I do. Too bad it apparently isn't in the motorcycle parts business. <_< <_<

Continuation of my above post...

I ordered that handful of parts via Zanotti's online ordering page. No problem. Order went in successfully.

A few minutes later I get an email saying they are checking the parts ordered to see if they are in stock.

4 hours later I get an email saying some of the parts are not in stock, and that I will get UPS notification when they ship. :blink:

In this case, it is no hardship for me as these are all PM parts for my impending 40k maintenance (I do everything on the 5k's). But had I actually needed a part and my bike was down hard I'd be a bit ticked. I think it would be nice if they told you if they were in stock before you placed the order so you could find someone else that does have it in stock.

If a big outfit like they are don't have these parts, where do they get them from? Yamaha corp in Cypress? :unsure:

Yeah, even Gary McCoy rarely stocked the parts I ordered. It would take a while to get them cause he would have go get them, package them, then send them on to me.

Hello everyone. I just want to thank all of the members who have offered their assistance, experiences and insights into my question. Its true that new folks can sometimes ask familiar questions as they come to up to speed. I appreciate how this community was accommodating and friendly regarding my inquiry.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Hello everyone. I just want to thank all of the members who have offered their assistance, experiences and insights into my question. Its true that new folks can sometimes ask familiar questions as they come to up to speed. I appreciate how this community was accommodating and friendly regarding my inquiry.

Awwwww........Quit being such a kiss-ass!

:p

Thanks for the recommendations.

Now that's what I'm talking about!! :thumbsup: :)

Awwwww........Quit being such a kiss-ass!
Oh geeze!

Last edited by a moderator: