Why is nothing wrong with my bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I could say the same for my early model 06. It is not near as bad as some of the 07's surge as it has only done it twice so far and for only a few seconds but it is the surge. Always around 2000 ft. elevation going down hill and happens when just starting to apply some throttle. But other than that, the bike has been great. I plan on doing some testing and documenting any events when or if I can get some time. PM. <>< :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you're riding more "sporty" then others, or you stop more often for a break. Ride it enough and it will show. I doubt you have a "fixed" version. Yamaha is still doing EPA certification with the new programming (from what I've heard).

[You are quite astute, but I painted the house pink and burgundy a few months ago for my wife Jeannette. She had breast cancer a couple of years ago and pink is her favorite color so when she was feeling a bit down I thought that I would try to cheer her up. Matching the bike color is an added bonus of course.

Bob what a nice thing to do for your lovely wife. I hand it to you; that is going the extra mile. Congratuations to you both for being a "survivor". My wife worries about that a lot. We have been lucky so far but she is at that age. I just wanted to jump in and tell you how glad I am for you.

Bob, the way I figure it, my '07 1300A has created a major problem for me. Typically I buy a bike and inside of a month or two I find a few things I don't like about the bike. For example, with my '05 FJR, it was the heat. But finding things I don't like about a bike I own is GOOD! Why? Because when newer and better models eventually arrive those little things that bug me, end up bugging me more and more until eventually I have reason to buy a new bike! So why the problem?

I can't find anything I don't like about my '07A! Hell, I may have to keep this one for good! :blink:

So I know that I am a lucky guy because I read the posts with the problems but why is it that I don't have any? Is the other shoe going to drop? Or am I a lucky guy with a reengineered bike?

/quote]

Bob,

I understand your quandry and feel your discomfort. Twice now I though I saw a leak of some sort on the left side, near the side-stand pivot point, but it just turned out to be a shiny spot in the black paint. I don't really quite get 4th gear either.

My 4th gear is perfect for cruising the 2 lane backroads at 65 or so, and then when I want to pass or feel a great burst of power, kapow, it's super sonic boomer to 95 mph. Is there something wrong with this machine? I guess mine was an experimental '04 or something.

Nice to hear of some other 07's that're working properly. 8.5k miles on mine, I live in UT and go up in the mountains quite often and haven't had a single surging problem. However, I do have one small gripe, the bike doen't believe in personal hygiene. No matter what I do I can't get it to take a bath!

You are quite astute, but I painted the house pink and burgundy a few months ago for my wife Jeannette. She had breast cancer a couple of years ago and pink is her favorite color so when she was feeling a bit down I thought that I would try to cheer her up. Matching the bike color is an added bonus of course.

Bob what a nice thing to do for your lovely wife. I hand it to you; that is going the extra mile. Congratuations to you both for being a "survivor". My wife worries about that a lot. We have been lucky so far but she is at that age. I just wanted to jump in and tell you how glad I am for you.
Your wife should be worried. Jeannette was 40 years old when she found a lump and went for her first mamogram. The mamogram did not show anything specific but a radiologist who had never seen my wife just her films wrote in latin the equivilent of "If she has a lump, get a sonogram if not follow up in six months". Well Jeannettes OBGYN did not read latin appearantly because she told us, no she had an employee call and tell my wife "You can get a second opinion from a surgeon or follow up in six months".

In six months Jeannette went to another diagnostic center with a digital mamogram and they found something small, like a fingernail, and did a ultrasound (which is the difinitive test if there is one) and confirmed it as did a biopsy.

Well 2 weeks later we are doing a lumpectomy and the hospital mamogram does not show anything at all (not digital) but the surgeon assures us that he has done this so many times that he needs no help locating the source of the lump. Well after six hours in surgery he comes to tell me that it was the size of a fist and that he could not get clean edges (no cancer) around a large lumpectomy so in 2 weeks we do a mastectomy, this man and I almost cried in public, good man. Well he got it all the next time and Jeannette did chemo, radiation and an oopherectomy that year. Needless to say no summer trip for us.

Well the next year we where back to normal. Rode to Montana, Wyoming and Colorado. Jeannette walked the Avon walk for the cure in October in NYC, that's 26 miles Saturday and 13 miles Sunday and we have been moving forward ever since. But fear is always with her as are a handfull of drugs in the morning and evening that make things harder, but she did not get a choice so this is what we do.

Tell your wife to get digital mamograms because the others are junk. If she feels a lump get an ultrasound no matter what. And remember that 1 in 7 women get this but if you catch it early it is so much better than if you catch it late.

And by the way we are walking for the cure on October 13 in Melbourne Florida (only 5k) and anyone who wants to walk with us or support us (you can use a credit card online in our names to the American Caner Society) can check us out here:

https://teamacs.acsevents.org/site/TR?px=27...&fr_id=3449

Your wife should be worried. Jeannette was 40 years old when she found a lump and went for her first mamogram. The mamogram did not show anything specific but a radiologist who had never seen my wife just her films wrote in latin the equivilent of "If she has a lump, get a sonogram if not follow up in six months". Well Jeannettes OBGYN did not read latin appearantly because she told us, no she had an employee call and tell my wife "You can get a second opinion from a surgeon or follow up in six months".

In six months Jeannette went to another diagnostic center with a digital mamogram and they found something small, like a fingernail, and did a ultrasound (which is the difinitive test if there is one) and confirmed it as did a biopsy.

Well 2 weeks later we are doing a lumpectomy and the hospital mamogram does not show anything at all (not digital) but the surgeon assures us that he has done this so many times that he needs no help locating the source of the lump. Well after six hours in surgery he comes to tell me that it was the size of a fist and that he could not get clean edges (no cancer) around a large lumpectomy so in 2 weeks we do a mastectomy, this man and I almost cried in public, good man. Well he got it all the next time and Jeannette did chemo, radiation and an oopherectomy that year. Needless to say no summer trip for us.

Well the next year we where back to normal. Rode to Montana, Wyoming and Colorado. Jeannette walked the Avon walk for the cure in October in NYC, that's 26 miles Saturday and 13 miles Sunday and we have been moving forward ever since. But fear is always with her as are a handfull of drugs in the morning and evening that make things harder, but she did not get a choice so this is what we do.

Tell your wife to get digital mamograms because the others are junk. If she feels a lump get an ultrasound no matter what. And remember that 1 in 7 women get this but if you catch it early it is so much better than if you catch it late.

And by the way we are walking for the cure on October 13 in Melbourne Florida (only 5k) and anyone who wants to walk with us or support us (you can use a credit card online in our names to the American Caner Society) can check us out here:

https://teamacs.acsevents.org/site/TR?px=27...&fr_id=3449

Thanks for the advice and congrats to Jeannette on the recovery. I will make sure she gets that kind of "digital" mamogram. Sharing this information that you can not get aywhere else is invaluable.

By the way I can tell just by the way you write about your wife how deaply you feel for her. You are both lucky to have each other.

We will get the tests done right away.

So I know that I am a lucky guy because I read the posts with the problems but why is it that I don't have any? Is the other shoe going to drop? Or am I a lucky guy with a reengineered bike?
BTW I love this bike and I am going to keep it even if I buy other bikes in the future, it's a fun bike!
Just ride to the top of Pikes Peak with an '07 and you will experience the surging problem. You will have to restart the engine every ~2000 feet or about 3 times from the gate to the top. Hit the kill switch, turn on kill switch, hit starter button and continue. What a pain.
Pikes peak made my 2005 GL1800 go to max temp before we left the pavement. I look forward to trying it out on my FJR :D
I live at the base of Pikes Peak (Woodland Park) and had never ridden my Valk, 1800 Wing, or FJR to the top. In late July several 1800 Wing riders from Ohio were in town and were doing the Peak, so I led them up -- me on my 06 FJR. As is normal for 1800 Wings when running in that dead zone of air flow over the radiators (between the fans pulling the air through and the natural air flow pushing the other way through the radiators), the temperature gages climbed on most of the Wings. Just slowing down to where the fans kicked on or going a little faster (ie on the new pavement or the dirt above that) resulted in more cooling and no issues. As for my FJR, it was a fun day. No overheating -- no surging. Just fun!!! Glad that I don't have an 07-- I change several thousand feet of elevation in every ride. Photos below:

183168628-L.jpg

183212659-L.jpg

BTW I love this bike and I am going to keep it even if I buy other bikes in the future, it's a fun bike!
I don't know, but I must be really lucky because I rode my FJR for 5 years and never had an issue with it (except for wearing out tires and one set of fork seals, which Yamaha replaced for free).

I finally just got bored and sold the darned thing :lol:

I don't know, but I must be really lucky because I rode my FJR for 5 years and never had an issue with it (except for wearing out tires and one set of fork seals, which Yamaha replaced for free).

I decided within a week that other bikes may come and go but the FJR is here to stay, too much fun. Do you mis yours or did you get something great?

I decided within a week that other bikes may come and go but the FJR is here to stay, too much fun. Do you mis yours or did you get something great?
I thought the FJR was a keeper also, but then I like to try new things once in a while. The FJR (number 376 was a totally new thing for me and many others back in 2002) I bought a GL1800 about a year and a half ago on a whim even though I had never ridden a Wing and really grew to like it. Last couple of summers the FJR was more of a second bike and I only put a few thousand miles on it.

This summer I finally did a USA4Corners ride on the Goldwing (just under 12k miles door to door) and thought about what I would like to do next year. I have always thought that a ride up to Alaska would be a real hoot, but neither the Goldwing or the FJR seemed to be a good candidate, since I want to run the haul road up to Prudhoe Bay. Sure wouldn't want to coat either one with calcium chloride. Needed a 'sacrificial' bike.

I was always intrigued by the dual-sport adventure bikes and I spotted an 03 V-Strom DL1000 on e-Bay for a killer price and low mileage to boot. Even had a few farkles on it. So I went ahead and purchased the V-Strom after a ride around the block and rode it home. So now the man cave is full of motorcycles. My understanding mate said it was my choice whether or not I would sell the FJR. I half heartedly posted it on the internet and in the local paper. Almost didn't sell, since I put an incorrect phone number in the newspaper ad. But one fella visited my picturetrail site with photos of the FJR and sent me an e-mail that he wanted to see the FJR. After seeing it and the farkles it was pretty much a done deal.

I told him that when he drove away, not to look back unless he wanted to see a grown man weeping. Of course I was kidding around and I am ready for a change. I had many miles of fun on this most wonderful of machines - you just can't beat Yamaha quality, but I am looking foward to getting to know and appreciate my 'new' bike.

I will probably miss the huge rush and great handling of the FJR beast (had aftermarket everything on it), but the V-Strom and the Wing aren't slouches either.

Maybe one day down the road I will try the C14 (if they fix the heat issue) :rolleyes:

Well I am glad that you are going on the big trips and riding to Alaska on the DL should be really nice too. I have not had a really fun bike (other than my wifes VFR) since my 97 Magna and I always missed it when it was gone. I just don't want to let this one get away from me in a week moment.

Well I am glad that you are going on the big trips and riding to Alaska on the DL should be really nice too. I have not had a really fun bike (other than my wifes VFR) since my 97 Magna and I always missed it when it was gone. I just don't want to let this one get away from me in a week moment.
Well Bob,

After seeing your photos, I don't think that will happen with the FJR, since it really goes well with the color scheme on the house. I also saw that you have enjoyed many nice bikes, including a Silver Wing, which I wouldn't mind checking out one day. I never heard anyone say they didn't miss their Magna. Must have been one heckofabike...I did hear people complain that Honda discontinued the 1 liter magna.

I'm glad that everything turned out well for the love of your life. Please give her my best wishes.

Bob V

The Vstrom 1000 is the most fun bike i've ever owned. It

gets the most miles for sure.

The Vstrom 1000 is the most fun bike i've ever owned. Itgets the most miles for sure.
Rumor has it that there will be no K8 in the DL1000 model. At least they (Kaw) haven't announced one.

This bike is a real weird duck and very basic, so I think I'm going to have a good time with it. Only downside I

can see is the chain drive. I haven't owned a chain drive since my 1968 Honda 350 and 1950 Harley, but that was

long ago.

As a sales manager at a Yamaha dealership who has been selling the FJR since it first hit the American market, let me say that over all the FJR is a very trouble free motorcycle. But what happens is some body will have a problem and post it on a forum and the next thing you know everybody seems to have it. Take the fuel injection issue that some are complaining about.

When I first heard about it I called Yamaha to talk to my RTA about it ,they put my friend who said "I think my bike has this problem on a list" But here's the deal the first word's out of the RTA's mouth were "He's been on line at the FJR forum, and read about this!"

Now I am not going to get into a debate about the merit's of this forum or others, but I do think that some time a false issue can becaused by a few people.

As a sales manager at a Yamaha dealership who has been selling the FJR since it first hit the American market, let me say that over all the FJR is a very trouble free motorcycle. But what happens is some body will have a problem and post it on a forum and the next thing you know everybody seems to have it. Take the fuel injection issue that some are complaining about. When I first heard about it I called Yamaha to talk to my RTA about it ,they put my friend who said "I think my bike has this problem on a list" But here's the deal the first word's out of the RTA's mouth were "He's been on line at the FJR forum, and read about this!"

Now I am not going to get into a debate about the merit's of this forum or others, but I do think that some time a false issue can becaused by a few people.

Yes, everyone of you damn consumers should just shut up and listen to everything the dealer tells you. Wait, isn't that what a big brother government would have you do as well? I'm confused.

You attack the FI complaints. Guess what, it does have issues. The late 06's and early 07's are in the process as we speak of being addressed because Yamaha (gasp) heard from it's customers and dealers of the problem. That's a no-brainer debunk of your complaint.

Taking it further, others have complained about the FI mapping even outside of the surge problem being recalled. I am one of the first to tell people that it's not a "factory defect" and that I simply took it into account when riding before I eventually got a PC3, but on the flipside, I'd DEFINATELY say that it could have been done better by Yamaha in the first place. Am I hanging on the service counter bell demanding a new, remapped ignition unit? Of course not. Have enough people identified the problem to make it resoundingly clear to Yamaha corporate that they need to up the quality? I sure hope so for their sake.

Same thing with throttle position sensors. The world went out, people rioted, Yamaha listened and issued a recall. Your shop pocketed $$$ in reimbursed shop labor. Poor you, all those damn forum users finding out that they should be checking to see if their VIN was within the range and then taking it to you to get replaced. Oh damn, the agony for your shop...

Do some things get over-hyped? Sure. Do manufacturers HATE forums where people share like experiences and often flush out service issues that would otherwise be kept within the manufacturer's office or, at best, in a quiet memo to service managers? Unfortunately for you guys, this is an information age. God forbid, but the masses out there communicate with each other. You can either evolve with the times or be buried by them. I don't envy you in having to sort through the real problems vs. the hyped ones (in my days, we always CRINGED when we'd see a Gold Whiner pull up because we KNEW a half hour complaint about a minute detail was often coming), but I suppose one of the alternatives would be for your customers to just give Yamaha the middle finger in disappointment and go elsewhere (vote with their feet).

Furthermore, forums are a GODSEND to a service manager a lot more than they are a hinderance. One phrase for you: call interception/deflection.

Without such forums, service managers would go back to the old days like when *I* worked at a dealership and the service department phone rang off the hook all day with informational questions more than appointments. Sure, you sell a few less service manuals this way, but think about all the users of this single forum alone and how often most of them have referred to the FAQ sections or asked service-related questions that would otherwise have fallen upon YOUR staff as a Yamaha dealership to answer. If you're going to try to tell me that a comparable shop today carries as much admin staff as they did 20 years ago, I'm gonna laugh in your face and say "bullhockey." Only a small % of owners may be internet savvy, but between their participation in net groups and then their subsequent participation in riders groups, the information gets disseminated to the masses, and some other entity BESIDES your service staff is doing it now. So, take the good with the bad, mi amigo.

Finally, and most critically to your dealership, forums like this make for a GREAT dealer review and evaluation service. You have to get it right every time or make it right after the fact or the WORLD is gonna hear about it. Do you mean to say that you don't think forum users can't swim through the blah blah and the whiners and form their own opinions based on the information in front of them? What puckers a dealership more than anything is getting repeated bad press on forums such as these because there's only so much of a consumer base out there that ISN'T wired in these days. If word gets out that you really screwed the pooch with someone and, worse, didn't do anything or enough to make it right after the fact, you might as well tell your employees to punch people in the face when they come in, because the effect is going to be the same. Information keeps a retail competition market honest and, well, competitive. If you can't hang with that model, there are TONS of other dealerships that this darn members of this information-sharing forum have identified all over the country that welcome and even cater to such customers.

Evolve or die.

As a sales manager at a Yamaha dealership who has been selling the FJR since it first hit the American market, let me say that over all the FJR is a very trouble free motorcycle. But what happens is some body will have a problem and post it on a forum and the next thing you know everybody seems to have it. Take the fuel injection issue that some are complaining about. When I first heard about it I called Yamaha to talk to my RTA about it ,they put my friend who said "I think my bike has this problem on a list" But here's the deal the first word's out of the RTA's mouth were "He's been on line at the FJR forum, and read about this!"

False issue?

Failure of ignition switch on the old RSTDs? Sometimes while underway? Now, that's a scary time! Mine failed 3 times.

Failure of ignition switch on the FJR? A friend got stranded atop a mountain at the WFO this year. They had to 'tow' the bike to a dealer.

Tickers? I'll bet there wouldn't be a goodwill top end rebuild on those if it weren't for discussions on the internet and some real hard arm twisting of folks in Cypress by certain people on this and other FJR websites - FYI, this isn't the only FJR website.

Where's the power on the old Royal Stars? Wasn't any until the bloggers shared information on how to make those carburators and gear ratios work much better. Wouldn't have happened w/o the internet.

I agree that the FJR has very few issues. Lean burn is not a real big issue for many and because of the various websites I learned how to overcome this issue on my own.

I purchased a GL1800 last year and I read about a problem with the left side storage compartment not opening. Parts would fail and adjustments needed to be made. When one part popped off I went to my local dealer after returning from a trip and purchased the part. Just a small and rather expensive, but somewhat unobtainium plastic clamp. Of course the dealer had no idea what I was talking about and said they probably didn't have it in stock (even though on the internet - several websites - this is a fairly common problem) I had researched the part on-line via a fische and presented him with the p/n. They had one and he told me that I was lucky, because they might sell one part a year. I told him that I had read about this on the internet and he said "You know how those folks on the internet are." Yes, I know how they are. Helpful and informative. More than I can say about many of the dealers that I have dealt with.

If I am looking for a solution to a perceived or real problem (like, it's broke or it don't work right!) I go first to the internet, no matter if it's related to motorcycles or whatever. Last place I am confident I will get an honest, knowledgeable response (other than bring it in, we'll take a look at it), would be the store. There are exceptions to this and they get all my biz.

++++EDIT++++

One other thing to add; if it weren't for the internet and all the information available to anyone with a computer for decision making and troubleshooting, where would the average rider be? Same place they were back in the days I first started riding (1965). In the dark. Without a clue. At the 'mercy' of the local dealer (I hate the word stealer, so I won't go there). I will give you this. At times a rider will read about a problem some have and will anticipate developing the same problem. Newbies or prospects many times mention the ticking problem, which is not that common, considering the relative large numbers of units sold, although there really should be less if any ticking problems. If one could not read about this on the internet, they most likely would have a much tougher time rectifying the problem. All the dealer would have to do is drag their feet or play 'stupid'.