Why is nothing wrong with my bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see in the thread started by TruWrecks about the 07 surging that there is no trend of complaints from the late year VIN number bikes. It lists those ending in 385-3350 as being in the problem zone. I choose to believe that Yamaha has been using new ECM's for a while, especially since I own a late year 07. :rolleyes:
I was there for the overheating GL1800 in 2001, we got an extra 2 year engine warranty from a class action suit and 2 lawyers got rich. That bike also had huge tire wobble issues until they made special tires for it. We also had bad welds give us cracking frames in small numbers of bikes. They fixed all that stuff by 2006, I bought a 2005 before they were done tweaking, never had anything but good luck and an occasional redline on the temp gauge in 60k miles. And hey, the final drive was great.

Anyway I started this thread because I have had nothing to complain about with this bike. I am completely unaware of any throttle problems, mine is smooth as silk. And I won't be in the mountains again until next summer and hopefully it will be ok but the FI is great here at sea level and I will love it all winter. I wanted to know if I was the only guy with an 07 who had no complaints. I am glad to see that I am not and I am pleased that you guys with problems are fighting the battle because hey, maybe that will be my bike someday. Thanks for the input guys, and hang around Yamaha man, you add a perspective that we do not have.
You're lucky, my '06 has been nothing but trouble. The son thinks it looks cool and likes that it's fast. The wife thinks it's comfortable and relaxing to ride on. :blink: I had to buy a trunk so that the two of them can ride on the back, and an intercom so we could talk to each other without slaps to the helmet. The trunk looks nice enough as trunks go, but it certainly takes away from the sporty look. Problem is I can't take it off because I can't get a ride in alone anymore, and with the intercom we're stopping to pee every couple of hours. I miss my nasty looking, old, uncomfortable Magna. Frickin' Yamaha. :)

Well my wife thinks that I jinxed myself with this post because today one screw fell out of the right bag lock holder and the other was almost gone when I found it. I tried to tell her that my having a screw loose was not a broken bike but you know how it goes. Well I should have been listening to all of those people who said I had a screw loose, but then they never told me which one.

As for Yamaha, the devils used a security torx on those particular screws so I had to drop in to a dealer (Daytona Fun Machines) for the loan of a tool and a couple of free screws, they were great. They gave me phillips head screws which was all that they had but I will see about finding a few hex heads and replace them all... adding some threadlock.

Well my wife thinks that I jinxed myself with this post because today one screw fell out of the right bag lock holder and the other was almost gone when I found it. I tried to tell her that my having a screw loose was not a broken bike but you know how it goes. Well I should have been listening to all of those people who said I had a screw loose, but then they never told me which one.
As for Yamaha, the devils used a security torx on those particular screws so I had to drop in to a dealer (Daytona Fun Machines) for the loan of a tool and a couple of free screws, they were great. They gave me phillips head screws which was all that they had but I will see about finding a few hex heads and replace them all... adding some threadlock.
Bob, loose bag-lock screws are a perrenial problem with Feejers. LOCKTITE--LOCKTITE--LOCKTITE!! (as you've discovered)

Took a look at the webpage links in your signature and think a LOT of Feej owners would like to know about the helmet lock you've added to your 07, so I've taken the liberty to hijack a couple of your photos and information and put them here. Hope ya don't mind... :)

hg005.jpg

hg006.jpg

hg007.jpg

Installation Notes:
A good locksmith rekeyed my lock for $20. The install time was about 30 minutes and it was very easy. The lock looks like it came there from the factory and is very functional. You do need your passenger peg to keep the helmet off of the exhaust pipe.

Bracket by Scott Townsend. Bracket(s) are still available for all year FJRs. 2003-2005 bracket fits both sides, 2006 and up-right side only. Please e-mail Scott direct at: [email protected] for information/to order.

Well my wife thinks that I jinxed myself with this post because today one screw fell out of the right bag lock holder and the other was almost gone when I found it.
You have been a bad boy Bob. You haven't read the New owners checklist have you? Now get in there and read it and don't come out til yer done...

check list link

Well my wife thinks that I jinxed myself with this post because today one screw fell out of the right bag lock holder and the other was almost gone when I found it.
You have been a bad boy Bob. You haven't read the New owners checklist have you? Now get in there and read it and don't come out til yer done...

check list link
You know what, I read that before I bought my bike but it just slipped my mind after bringing the bike home. Thanks for the reminder about the list, I gave it another look. The screws that come with the locks are 6mm with a security hex head. I found at the Yamaha dealer that 8mm long 3mm screws work just fine. So I hit the hardware store and bought some with a hex head that work just fine and give me a little more grip. And of course I used some brand new blue threadlock.

Took a look at the webpage links in your signature and think a LOT of Feej owners would like to know about the helmet lock you've added to your 07, so I've taken the liberty to hijack a couple of your photos and information and put them here. Hope ya don't mind... :)

No problem Howie, I like to document my mods for just this reason. Bob

Ha! Bob, opened my side case last night when I got home and pulled out the lock with the key. When I lifted the handle the screws fell out. NO LOCTITE!

Took the case to the dealer as my hex torx drives would not work (tamper proof screws). Anyhow the mechanic and I put Humpty Dumpty back together again and then I bought the correct drive.

I laughed when I saw your post. :blink:

AZ

really now. People should read the FAQ stuff. The issue about loctite and the bag locks has been gone over in depth. TWN recently reminded us about it when he cursed himself for not taking heed himself. It's the FIRST item on the list! (for both Gen I and Gen II)

New Purchaser ChecklistEither personally double-check or ask the dealer specifically the following things before taking acceptance of the a new FJR:

Are the saddlebag lock latch screws loctited? (validated this is still an issue with '07's, and:Security Torx Bit Link Clicky )
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=8660

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read this post since day one, but I had not ridin my bike in altitude so I did not want to post on something I was not sure about. So this week at CFO I had ridin the bike hard and over 6700 feet, even lugging it down up a steep gravel road at that altitude. I am happy to report not one instance of stalling, surging, no fork wobble or tank slappers, or poor performance. Everytime I cruised around or cracked the thottle it responded effortlessly. Here's the kicker this is a very early 07 ser. no 681 plus if it makes any difference it's also a california model. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have NO complaints what so ever. Stan