Wicked Vibration at Right Handgrip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Along with what Bustanut said, some folks (me) have found help from gloves with gel palm inserts. Olympia, maybe others, make some nice ones. I can't get used to the foam grip sleeves but the gloves help a bit on longer rides.

I can smile about it now, but I had a '92 Concours and those C10 Connies were famous for vibes. One popular fix was to pack the handlebars with lead shot and silicone caulk. That, big bar end weights, and careful carb synching helped a lot. Of course my ST1300 was smo-o-o-th as a baby's butt. :rolleyes:

pete

Ya need to do Goat nuts in pairs! Otherwise the karma from the Goat is one sided or off balance (it's a weight thing ya know) causing the afflicted critter to walk in circles..

Obviously you've done this.. Did ya check the right hand bar to see if it was loose?

Seriously, ya might wanna think about the Carpal issue bud. The one hand thing is a pretty good indicator.

:jester:

I had a sudden unexplainable vibration on my Ninja 250. After trying a bunch of things, it turned out to be a bad front tire. The tire had plenty of tread and plenty of air, in fact was almost new, but something happened that caused it to vibrate like crazy.

Ya need to do Goat nuts in pairs! Otherwise the karma from the Goat is one sided or off balance (it's a weight thing ya know) causing the afflicted critter to walk in circles.. Obviously you've done this.. Did ya check the right hand bar to see if it was loose?

Seriously, ya might wanna think about the Carpal issue bud. The one hand thing is a pretty good indicator.

Do you think maybe I should switch hands? :yahoo:

Believe it or not I've watched a forum member do just that while smoking a ciggy while driving. :D

Odot is kinda crazy like that.

Ya know a few years back I remember somebody installing rubber o rings between the bars and triple clamp.. I don't remember who or how it worked out though

Believe it or not I've watched a forum member do just that while smoking a ciggy while driving. :D
Odot is kinda crazy like that.

Ya know a few years back I remember somebody installing rubber o rings between the bars and triple clamp.. I don't remember who or how it worked out though

That reminds me of a story a friend of mine told me after coming back from traffic court. Guy got busted for smoking a joint as he went through a toll booth. He claimed innocence by saying "I couldn't have been smoking a joint, I had the wheel in one hand and a beer in the other". Yes, they busted him for drinking and driving too.

I think I'll take the bike out today with my old gloves. Why is the right hand worse you say? Well, I typically almost never let go with my right hand except when I'm at a stop light or operating the throttle with my size 11 boot. As someone who's played drums for 32 years, if I had carpel tunnel issues they would have come to light well before now.

Maybe I should just buy a car...

As someone who's played drums for 32 years, if I had carpel tunnel issues they would have come to light well before now.
Playing drums for 32 will CAUSE carpal tunnel, ya dink!

Sheesh...have to explain this stuff to n00bs!

Since everyone else here is offering anecdotal evidence of "hand numbing" I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Back in the mid 60s, my right hand would go numb working the throttle on my Sears Allstate scooter.

My right hand would go numb on my Honda 350 scrambler.

My right hand would go numb on my Kaw H1.

My right hand would go numb on my Kaw H2.

My right hand would go numb on my Kaw Z900.

My right hand would go numb on my Kaw Z1R-TC.

My right hand would go numb on my Kaw GPZ900R.

My right hand would go numb on my Kaw KZ1300.

My right hand goes numb on my Kaw ZRX1200R.

My right hand goes numb on my FJR 1300.

My right hand goes numb on my Honda Del Sol.

My right hand goes numb on my Honda Civic.

My right hand goes numb on the company's F250 vans.

Singles, two cylinders, triples, I-4s, straight sixes, V-8s and V-10s. ALL make my right hand go numb.

Goddamnit, why can't ANYONE build something that won't make my right hand go numb!

Or just buy a new cartridge for your pissin-and-moanin filter. :p

As someone who's played drums for 32 years, if I had carpel tunnel issues they would have come to light well before now.
Playing drums for 32 will CAUSE carpal tunnel, ya dink!

Sheesh...have to explain this stuff to n00bs!

Since everyone else here is offering anecdotal evidence of "hand numbing" I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Back in the mid 60s, my right hand would go numb working the throttle on my Sears Allstate scooter.

My right hand would go numb on my Honda 350 scrambler.

My right hand would go numb on my Kaw H1.

My right hand would go numb on my Kaw H2.

My right hand would go numb on my Kaw Z900.

My right hand would go numb on my Kaw Z1R-TC.

My right hand would go numb on my Kaw GPZ900R.

My right hand would go numb on my Kaw KZ1300.

My right hand goes numb on my Kaw ZRX1200R.

My right hand goes numb on my FJR 1300.

My right hand goes numb on my Honda Del Sol.

My right hand goes numb on my Honda Civic.

My right hand goes numb on the company's F250 vans.

Singles, two cylinders, triples, I-4s, straight sixes, V-8s and V-10s. ALL make my right hand go numb.

Goddamnit, why can't ANYONE build something that won't make my right hand go numb!

Now my feelings are hurt. Where exactly is my "pissin-and-moanin filter"? Looked in the owners manual but all I see is an oil filter. Hmm.

Now my feelings are hurt.
Then you'd better grow some thicker skin real quick. This place can be brutal.

Where exactly is my "pissin-and-moanin filter"? Looked in the owners manual but all I see is an oil filter. Hmm.
Typically, it's installed by your parents. It's normally found right next to the "life ain't fair" discriminator and the "man-up and walk it off" generator.

Typically, it's installed by your parents. It's normally found right next to the "life ain't fair" discriminator and the "man-up and walk it off" generator.
Right hand numb?, reading this thread made my brain numb.

... Seems more and more ridiculous things being discussed .....and the common denominator is Gen2 bikes and Gen2 owners.

So, -truly the question that needs to be answered: Is it the bike(?) or the rider(?).

Surely MamaYama ain't doin' anyone any favors by taking yet another step backwards each year of production with this bike -and perhaps that makes the bike an easy scapegoat. .....but really, are all these things really the bike's fault?

, .... I can't help but think it's the new breed of finicky owners that MamaYama is attracting that is the base of much of the whining and sniveling. Once MamaYama (in 2006) replaced performance with more fluff, more frills and more weight as their objective .....hence attracting the harley niche ......well I guess this all should have been expected.

1/4 mile times and horsepower-to-weight ratios ...well that dialogue has now been replaced with "The grips are hard on my manicure -what is wrong with my bike"

Girlz, it ain't the bike, trust me.

Uhhh, or is it??

Last edited by a moderator:

... Seems more and more ridiculous things being discussed .....and the common denominator is Gen2 bikes and Gen2 owners.

So, -truly the question that needs to be answered: Is it the bike(?) or the rider(?).

Surely MamaYama ain't doin' anyone any favors by taking yet another step backwards each year of production with this bike -and perhaps that makes the bike an easy scapegoat. .....but really, are all these things really the bike's fault?

, .... I can't help but think it's the new breed of finicky owners that MamaYama is attracting that is the base of much of the whining and sniveling. Once MamaYama (in 2006) replaced performance with more fluff, more frills and more weight as their objective .....hence attracting the harley niche ......well I guess this all should have been expected.

1/4 mile times and horsepower-to-weight ratios ...well that dialogue has now been replaced with "The grips are hard on my manicure -what is wrong with my bike"

Uhhh, or is it??
It could not have been said better. This is a bizarre topic. Like a bad movie, I had to see what would happen next. As an old riding buddy used to say if I ever complained about the suspension not working right on my modern sport bike or some other nonsense, "just shut up and RIDE".

Uhhh, or is it??
It could not have been said better. This is a bizarre topic. Like a bad movie, I had to see what would happen next. As an old riding buddy used to say if I ever complained about the suspension not working right on my modern sport bike or some other nonsense, "just shut up and RIDE".
Ok fucksticks, here's your thick skin. What part of this do you not understand. For the first 7,000 miles, no vibration. Now, vibration.

If this vibration had been there from the beginning, no problem. But it WASN'T there before. Therefore, something has changed.

I love all you assholes here who think just because you never experienced a problem, it can't possibly exist. How about shut the **** up and let us discuss this and find a solution instead of blaming riders for whinning.

Holy shit. "Just ride it" you all say. Well what the hell are you doing runnin your pie holes on here if your bike is so nice to ride. Shut up and go ride yourself.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program...

Ok fucksticks, here's your thick skin. What part of this do you not understand. For the first 7,000 miles, no vibration. Now, vibration.
If this vibration had been there from the beginning, no problem. But it WASN'T there before. Therefore, something has changed.

I love all you assholes here who think just because you never experienced a problem, it can't possibly exist. How about shut the **** up and let us discuss this and find a solution instead of blaming riders for whinning.

Holy shit. "Just ride it" you all say. Well what the hell are you doing runnin your pie holes on here if your bike is so nice to ride. Shut up and go ride yourself.

Attaboy.

Hope you can find the/a solution and post it. That would be of value.

Uhhh, or is it??

Component replacement might be needed. Start with the rider and if that doesn't do it, you might need to have the bike crushed. :D

Uhhh, or is it??

Component replacement might be needed. Start with the rider and if that doesn't do it, you might need to have the bike crushed. :D
Brilliant. Now why didn't I think of that?

Anyone else with constructive comments?

Anyway, gonna drive it to work today and see what happens. The odd thing is this JUST started happening for no reason. I will check the throttle body synch and probably swap out the spark plugs I just replaced with the original ones to see if maybe I have a bad one or something. The mechanic has sort of convinced me that it's not the shocks so we'll see. Maybe a bad tire, just had the front replaced 1,300 miles ago.

You say you just replaced the spark plugs. I would check the plug wires. If you pulled the boot loose and one cylender is not firing properly it will create a big vibration. Happened to me on my 2006 Concours.

I'd been thinking about that but it just makes no sense. There is a harmonic at 4000 rpm and 1) I just never noticed it before, or B) the engine was not fully broken in and, well, see #1).

If the vibration had a wider rpm range I could see a throttle body synch or ignition issue but with such a consistent vibration at a specific rpm, it probably has to be a harmonic resonance. On the flip side, I definitely feel a difference between the stock spark plugs and the iridium plugs. Go ahead, shoot all the arrows you want.

I'll just drive it for a while and see what happens.

You say you just replaced the spark plugs. I would check the plug wires. If you pulled the boot loose and one cylinder is not firing properly it will create a big vibration. Happened to me on my 2006 Concours.
And if you had the plugs out you most likely had to move a vacuum hose or two out of the way, and could have left one off (been there done THAT myself). It could also be possible you have a tire failing on you. That's been talked about before here and may be worth looking into. And if you want to revisit the front suspension settings (the dealer may have screwed them all up) check here for a good place to start. Note the part that says it reduced the steering vibration. And you may want to check the steering head torque, I think I've seen here that they're not right from the factory on some bikes.

And don't pay any attention to the Gen I folks....they know they're at a disadvantage so dropping f-bombs like "fickle" just make them feel big. :lol: