Wide open sweepers or tight twisties

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to your original title: Yes, please to both wide open sweepers and tight twisties.

Gunny on tightening up your suspenders. HUGE difference in how she railed the corners after I tightened up the stock stuff (and rode happily for 3+ years) and then another big gain in all aspects (tight twisties, sweepers, and comfort) once after-market bits sized for my weight got installed.

Also, tire pressure down even a couple of pounds from optimal (I run 42R, 41F, but I'm much fatter than you) can dramatically increase the effort needed to initiate corners.

Even with hard suspension settings and tires, if I get lazy about shifting my carcass to the inside, my cornering definitely feels more like a wrestling match than a dance.

Hopefully catch you on one of the group rides,

RsvlFeej

Practice makes perfect, but lets face it ... the FJR is a sport TOURING kinda bike. It weighs close to 650 pounds, and its wheelbase is over 60 inches. It is not going to be at its best carving through switchbacks and decreasing radius turns.
Get a CBR600RR, or even a Kawasaki Ninjette (250), or a Ducati Hypermotard, and your practice will make perfect more quickly.
Coming from my last ride, a GL1800, I find the fjr a blast on the sweepers and a real challenge for me to learn to take advantage of its capabilities in the twisties. Being basically a ldr, the centers of my tires will wear long before the edges.

Personally, I enjoy the physical challenge of wrestling the big girl in the twisties. The FJR is not going to snap and rail, but if you do a lot of pre-positioning, brake extra-hard and extra-early, she will rail a Yamaha corner for you. The reward is when you hit it just right and get a front tire lift, pulling the reins around the apex with all that torque and sacrificing rear rubber.
Man!!! That's good stuff!
: :poster_stupid:

FJR likes it all.

maybe it's the bike but...

God I love wide open sweepers on the feejer! I still need a lot of work on the my form in the tight stuff but I feel that even as I become a better rider, you can never fully relax in the tight stuff.

Well I'll chime in here too. I guess it depends on how you define "twisties", but anything that would be a 30 mph corner or up is just great on the FJR, with or without bags and passenger. However, the 20 and 25 mph corners where visibility is limited just aren't that fun because of the risk of oncoming traffic. Nothing quite like railing around a corner in Oregon to see a big old grill coming up the center line at you. (Ended up with a fine line between the edge of the road and the side mirrors of an idiot driver).

I'm fairly light (165 at 6' 3") and I never ride with a trunk, so I generally don't find clearance to not be a problem. Granted, the FJR doesn't fall into the corners like my FZ6 did, but it isn't a slouch either. I'll also add that putting a new Pilot Power on the front drastically improved turn in over the stock Bridgestone tire.

That said, there are a select few 15 mph corners with positive camber and, no gravel or dirt of any sort, complete visibility through the corner, and in excellent repair in which I can push the bike and it does excel. That leads me to conclude that it most certainly isn't the bike but rather the rider. Just don't push yourself where it isn't safe to do so.

You want to try throwing something heavy around, take a K1200LT through the tight turns. That's nearly 900 pounds, but it sure handles great for a bike that big. Scrapped the sides of my boots on many a turn.
Having come off of that, I don't find the FJR as heavy as some of you do. I'm sure a sportsbike handles better, but I'm having a blast on this "light weight" bike.

My best suggestion is to keep your arms relaxed. Often when we get a little tense in the twisties our arms tighten up and that will really throw your timing off on a turn. Stay relaxed. If that means slowing down a little then do it. We're not riding on race tracks and don't know what's on the other side of that curve.

I've watched a video of a guy on a Goldwing blow the doors (metaphorically) off of sportbikes on the Dragon. Having taken a GXR 1000 around Virginia International Raceway, I can tell you, virtually every motorcycle has capabilities beyond most riders abilities. I would guess your problems with the tight turns are you and not the bike's ability, but that's nothing to worry about. Stay relaxed, slow down to your comfort level and practice. You will be amazed at your improvement.

Keith
I'm w/you Daddy...Totally loved the way the K1200LT got me from NC to the great roads and solitude out west in comfort then let me scream!! Must say the main reason I came to the FJR ('08) was I finally felt like the LT had taken me as far as it could..after 100,000 mi I wanted more sport, willing to sacrifice comfort. Now I feel like I'm starting all over, and like they say, start slow, relax, LOOK Ahead, be carefull. It is A BLAST!

You want to try throwing something heavy around, take a K1200LT through the tight turns. That's nearly 900 pounds, but it sure handles great for a bike that big. Scrapped the sides of my boots on many a turn.
Heh-heh! Yeah, I've been reading this thread from my perspective of having spent the past 200,000+ miles on Gold Wings. I didn't drag the pegs too often, but my soles were beveled on the outer edges. <_<

Having come off of that, I don't find the FJR as heavy as some of you do. I'm sure a sportsbike handles better, but I'm having a blast on this "light weight" bike.
My best suggestion is to keep your arms relaxed. Often when we get a little tense in the twisties our arms tighten up and that will really throw your timing off on a turn. Stay relaxed. If that means slowing down a little then do it. We're not riding on race tracks and don't know what's on the other side of that curve.
Before I got the FJR, a friend of mine told me to bend my inside elbow and tuck my inside shoulder on turns. It made an amazing difference! Leaning forward just a couple of inches is very noticable, as well.

With the FJR and its forward seating position (as compared to the Wing) I found myself keeping my arms straight and sometime even locking my elbows. (I find out if my elbows are locked either when I hit a bump or try to turn!)

I've watched a video of a guy on a Goldwing blow the doors (metaphorically) off of sportbikes on the Dragon.
Yeah. One of his promo videos was of a guy on a sport bike following him. The guy was shifting his weight and sticking his knee out in great form, but, every time I thought about that Wing in front of him, I snickered.

I've still got my Wing, but most of the miles go on the FJR. :yahoo:

+1 on the tire pressure. I had a hard time holding a line in fast, and especially in the slow corners. Front tire was running at 38# and rear at 38#. Pumped up front to 42# and rear to 40# and it was a completely different bike! Steering is near neutral at lean, effort at holding a line is 100% + easier. Almost hard to believe that a couple of pounds of pressure would make that much difference.

JBWBHS,

I'm originally from NC. Been in Kentucky almost a year now. You sure do live in a beautiful part of the state.

I got rid of the LT for a couple reasons, one, no dealer support within 4 hour drive.

But in complete honesty, I had lost some enthusiasm for riding. The FJR has brought that back. I'm on it just about every day and looking for every excuse to ride. I guess, like you, the LT had taken me as far as it was going to also. It was a great bike and I enjoyed it, but it was time for something else and the FJR was the ticket!

Ride safe,

Keith

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I like the sweepers a whole lot better than tight twisties (curves with a less than 20 mph sign). I've ridden the Gap on 4 different bikes now (over 12 times total) and every single time I feel relieved that it's over rather than any sort of exileration my fellow riders seem to have. But put me on the cherohola skyway or the roads near my house like hwy 8 or 89 and I'm a really happy camper. However, I really think its me. I do the best on the FJR. I rode a VFR through there I think at about 10 mph.. ugh.

I have found a tip that really helped me. I leave my left hand open as I go through curves. It keeps me from tightening up, getting a "death grip" and pulling the bike upright without meaning to. I can still push and countersteer and it's made the curves much smoother for me. :biggrinsmiley:

Does anyone else find that the tight twisties are a lot more challenging going downhill rather than up? I find that I can take them at least 10 mph faster and feel far more comfy with a steep lean angle going uphill. Any suggestions?

I am extremely happy with my 05 (Wilburs shock and GP fork springs) in both sweepers and twisties. Just set up your ride differently in your head and find a ride rythym that gets you anticipating the turn in and man you will love the twisties. I am not saying it beats my VFR in twisty handling but its does a hell of a good job for its size and weight. And I'm north of 60!
+1 with the Wilbers-I am South of 60, but don't stumble or I'll catch you. Some may agree or disagree, but I've ridden later models and I feel my '05 turns/handles quicker-maybe a subtle difference due to the shorter swing rm?

jetflier,

I feel the same. I can take uphill curves must faster comfortably than downhill. Part of it may be the difference in the camber of the road uphill vs. downhill.

I feel the same. I can take uphill curves must faster comfortably than downhill. Part of it may be the difference in the camber of the road uphill vs. downhill.
There are a lot of people who feel more comfortable riding twisties uphill compared to down. I've always thought it was a combination of the psychological difference between climbing and falling, and the actual physical issue that you can stop faster going uphill because gravity is assisting your stop, allowing you to go faster with confidence.

If you're a skier, you may prefer downhill. Pick your line, and fall with the bike....well, not literally...

I feel the same.
Most will.

I can take uphill curves must faster comfortably than downhill. Part of it may be the difference in the camber of the road uphill vs. downhill.
It's gravity - helping you on the way up but working against you on the way down.

If you're a skier, you may prefer downhill. Pick your line, and fall with the bike....well, not literally...
I ski - I much prefer falling downhill on skis than on a motorcycle. :)

I ski - I much prefer falling downhill on skis than on a motorcycle. :)
Yeah, I know what you mean.

Seriously though, when you're coming down a ridge, not circling a mountain, but ridge running with elevation changes, don't you get the same feeling as when skiing? Pinch the tank with the knees, tuck in, and move your weight... Its especially similar when the ridge is more like a chicane. Sort of like running a slalom.