Wilber Failures?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wilbers from your 04 fits the 06?
Yep bolts right up, same length, but it's a bear geting the top bolt on, The ABS was tight on the 04, but now the linked brake valves are also in the way. Also the ECU is tucked in there creating a tight sqeeze to route the preload adjuster and lines, but at least the Cali smog can was relocated so the hi /lo res can easily be mounted. The bracket for the preload needs another hole drilled in it to mount up, but it works out fine. I've a couple pics if anyone's really interested , I'll post them up.

From a previous post in this thread, Skyway from Sonora, Ca says:

I'm planning on having Aftershock in the Bay Area handle all my suspension needs
916 Commercial St.

Palo Alto, CA 94303

(650) 494-8849

Not too handy to VT!

AfterShocks is in Palo Alto, Ca. Phil replaced the rear under sprung spring with the correct one and fixed Wilber's progressive front springs to match up with the stiffness of the rear. He knows his suspensions and not only motorcycle suspension. The best the FJR's suspension has ever felt. Even with the fuel cell and all the crap on the bike, it now rides closer to a sport bike or can be leveled out to cruise the highways.

AfterShocks is in Palo Alto, Ca. Phil replaced the rear under sprung spring with the correct one and fixed Wilber's progressive front springs to match up with the stiffness of the rear. He knows his suspensions and not only motorcycle suspension. The best the FJR's suspension has ever felt. Even with the fuel cell and all the crap on the bike, it now rides closer to a sport bike or can be leveled out to cruise the highways.
Bastard.

First it's the forum name change :p , and now you're trying to cost me some serious coin. You just won't quit will you? :lol:

So how did he fix the Wilbers progressive front springs?

Got my Wilbers rear shock back from WilbersUSA. It

was being rebuilt under warranty and I was getting a stiffer spring

installed. They were a little overwhelmed with new orders and rebuilds

so it took longer that I expected. Just under two months. However, I

was only charged for shipping. No charge for the spring swap.

Just wanted to let folks know what a stand up guy Klaus is.

Derek

Got my Wilbers rear shock back from WilbersUSA. Itwas being rebuilt under warranty and I was getting a stiffer spring

installed. They were a little overwhelmed with new orders and rebuilds

so it took longer that I expected. Just under two months. However, I

was only charged for shipping. No charge for the spring swap.

Just wanted to let folks know what a stand up guy Klaus is.

Derek
Yep, that ST.n group buy most likely buried poor Klaus. Always available when you need him, tho...

I had my Wilbers shock rebuilt by GP suspention a few mo.s ago and the preload fluid leaked out last week.

Today the shock fluid leaked out. Now I feel like I am riding a pogo stick!

I will send back this shock to GP and have them rebuild it again but I'm not to happy about this.

I see a Penske in my future.

I had my Wilbers shock rebuilt by GP suspention a few mo.s ago and the preload fluid leaked out last week.

I will send back this shock to GP and have them rebuild it again but I'm not to happy about this.

Please could you follow up with some more information. Any previous problems with this unit, is this the first rebuild, and if so how many miles are on this shock?

Please could you follow up with some more information. Any previous problems with this unit, is this the first rebuild, and if so how many miles are on this shock?
This was the first rebuild and I have put 7-8k miles on it. I have 50-60k total miles on the shock. I have not had any problems with the unit except for the soft springs.

Skooter brough tup a good point - perhaps it is a problem with the way GP rebuilt it.

I will be sending the shock back today and we will see what GP has tp say.

Gotta wonder how companies like this stay in business.

Bro. Bob... You going have her ridin' smooth for me for the "Rick & Bob Great Adventure" this summer?

Rick V

Gotta wonder how companies like this stay in business.
Bro. Bob... You going have her ridin' smooth for me for the "Rick & Bob Great Adventure" this summer?

Rick V
They have a pretty good reputation as far as how they work, but they do fail unfortunetly. I've never had a stock shock blow out, so for all that money, I don't know why it failed, especially since I only had around 5-7k miles on it.

I should see the shock back by trip time, but the old shock is back on the bike and it works just fine. So either way the bike will be ready.

I'm finished with the Wing and it's ready for my big trip. All I gotta do is change the oil and hit the road. I purchased a new rear tire to throw in the trailer in case the original wears out. Some folks encouraged me to put new tires on, but these only have 7.5k on them with lots of tread left.

My Wilbers was 100 and so soft I had 3.5" of sag with a passenger on full preload, just put on a 130 and with me only on the bike can and no pre-load I have barely 1.5" of sag, rides well, no leaks so far at 24000 miles.

Neville

My Wilbers was 100 and so soft I had 3.5" of sag with a passenger on full preload, just put on a 130 and with me only on the bike can and no pre-load I have barely 1.5" of sag, rides well, no leaks so far at 24000 miles.
Neville
I sent my shock off for a rebuild on 4/6. I also complained that I thought the spring was too light.

Still waiting for the shock. Maybe I'll get it in time for the WFO6. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if I didn't.

Cost me $20.00 to ship (including insurance) and they have the chutzpah to charge me return shipping!

I would not ever recommend this company from either a service or quality standpoint.

After reading these posts about Wilber shocks and the failure issues, I would never have these installed on my FJR. Shop around is a fitting solution I believe.