will my 2003 get that hot?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Semper Fi

Reaction score
I have a 2003 FJR with 14000 miles on it, I just bought it. I have been reading about these bikes for close to a year. I have read that the bikes built before 2006 are very hot. I understand that they don't overheat, but you get very hot in the seat. How true is that? I don't live in a town that has a lot of traffic with long waits at stop lights, so I am wondering if my bike is going to get as hot as they say.

I have had a 2004 FJR since October of 2003. Although some bikes may be warmer than others, I think most of the variation depends on ambient temperature, riding gear, and the predilection of certain riders to whine more than others.

I hope to have my 2004 for many more years, and if there are any left...buy another to replace this one when it is done.

Last edited by a moderator:
It'll roast your walnuts right off and shrink your sausage to nothing :eek: But most of us are so old it won't make much difference. :(

Read up on the heat fix threads. My 03 has never been a real problem unless you are stupid enough to ride in shorts and then you deserve it. I did the left side fix this year because I had the plastic off that side and it helps a bit.I have some space age heat stuff under the tank. One of my customers builds heat shields for NASCAR and Indy teams so he gave me some good stuff.

Keep the tank as full as you can and wear good gear and you will be fine.

Read up on the heat fix threads. My 03 has never been a real problem unless you are stupid enough to ride in shorts and then you deserve it. I did the left side fix this year because I had the plastic off that side and it helps a bit.I have some space age heat stuff under the tank. One of my customers builds heat shields for NASCAR and Indy teams so he gave me some good stuff.

Keep the tank as full as you can and wear good gear and you will be fine.
FJRay and TominCA are both correct, do those recommended heat fixes and you will be just fine. I ride in Phoenix, Arizona where it is 118F degrees with no problems.

It'll roast your walnuts right off and shrink your sausage to nothing :eek: But most of us are so old it won't make much difference. :(
Senor Fred is also right on: But thanks to those little blue pills, Herradura Tequila and twenty year old Mexican girls we "Dos Hombres Viejo" can overcome anything ese!

It's All A Lie!!

man_on_fire.jpg

have owned mine for 10 years and driven from Maine to Florida. it get hot when you are stuck in traffic or on a 85+ day. By the way I am living in Coatesville, PA for the rest of the year PM me if you want to met someplace in between.

Never really had a heat issue with my 03. But just consider that the power plant between your legs is producing ~150hp. Heat will be generated...

The engine itself, stays at the correct temperature. The gas tank may get a little hot and you might feel some heat on our legs when it's very hot outside.

There are very easy and cheap fixes for this, if it really does bother you.

I have a 2003 FJR with 14000 miles on it, I just bought it. I have been reading about these bikes for close to a year. I have read that the bikes built before 2006 are very hot. I understand that they don't overheat, but you get very hot in the seat. How true is that? I don't live in a town that has a lot of traffic with long waits at stop lights, so I am wondering if my bike is going to get as hot as they say.
I also have a 2003 and have not noticed any heat problems. Now we do have an inline 4 engine between our legs so you have to expect some heat, but nothing too bad.

I never understood the heat issue B.S. on Gen 1s. My 05 feels no different than any other inline 4 high performance rice burner I have owned. Take it for a ride and check it out. My FJR is the funnest ride I have owned.

I never understood the heat issue B.S. on Gen 1s. My 05 feels no different than any other inline 4 high performance rice burner I have owned. Take it for a ride and check it out. My FJR is the funnest ride I have owned.
Yeah and blueman lives in Lake Havasu City, Arizona: On the face of the Sun; when we feel like we are on fire here in Phoenix, we look at the temps in LHC and all of a sudden we feel COOLER!

Under-tank blanket took care of any heat issues I had on my '03. When a Florida boy makes a daily driver out of it and doesn't whine about the heat, the rest of the guys that do whine are...... effeminate.

Yeah, but how do those engines compare to the inline 4 high performance engines made in America??

Oh, wait a second............

I've had my 03 for about a year and yes it gets hot when you have less than half in your gas tank. I bought the heat insulation from spdzn on ebay and it did really make a difference, was not difficult to install.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=190721440027

I tried riding my 2004 wearing a kilt. I won't do that again!

Best regards

Surly

:ph34r:
Q. How does an Aussie become a Nickel Queen?

A. Rides in a kilt 'til he's Googie Withers :yahoo:

For those of you too young to go to the movies in 1971 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_Queen

Oh sorry, we were talking about Gen 1 heat. Did the mods to mine, wished I hadn't in Castlegar this year.

Al.

I tried riding my 2004 wearing a kilt. I won't do that again!

Best regards

Surly

:ph34r:
Q. How does an Aussie become a Nickel Queen?

A. Rides in a kilt 'til he's Googie Withers :yahoo:

For those of you too young to go to the movies in 1971 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_Queen

Oh sorry, we were talking about Gen 1 heat. Did the mods to mine, wished I hadn't in Castlegar this year.

Al.

:dribble: :lol: :drinks:

You still got it Al.

Best regards

Surly(Steve)

:D