Windshield Auto Retrack stopped working

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duster19

Reaction score
I've done some research...

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/lofiversion/...php/t18690.html

But haven't found anything that shows how to fix the problem, only how to get the auto retrack to stop working. I actually kind of liked having it working and was wondering how to fix it.

FYI- It has never been disabled. Winshield still works (up and down) just won't retrack when key is turned off.

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
It may well be that the loop connector which enables auto-retract has gotten loose. There are two connectors to the windshield, a 6-wire and a 2-wire. If the 2-wire is unplugged, the auto-retract is disabled. It doesn't go anywhere else, it's just a jumper that if present enables the retract, of not preset, disables it.

It's also possible that a fuse is blown, but that fuse being blown would also reset your clock and tripmeters every time you shut off the bike. The BACKUP fuse supplies power to the windshield drive when the key is off.

I've done some research...
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/lofiversion/...php/t18690.html

But haven't found anything that shows how to fix the problem, only how to get the auto retrack to stop working. I actually kind of liked having it working and was wondering how to fix it.

FYI- It has never been disabled. Winshield still works (up and down) just won't retrack when key is turned off.

Thanks,

Dave
Some people would pay good money to have that feature. Might try some sort of moisture displacement spray (WD40) on the switch. Seeing where you live, I'm sure it has seen it's share of moisture. Good luck and hope you're enjoying those gloves!

Some people would pay good money to have that feature. Might try some sort of moisture displacement spray (WD40) on the switch. Seeing where you live, I'm sure it has seen it's share of moisture. Good luck and hope you're enjoying those gloves!

He lives on the dry side of the state, and it's not really even that humid there.

Well, I'll just add it to my list of things to do when I have all the plastic off to put in my HID light kit, new instrument panel bulbs. :) .

Heck, I should probably add a pair of mega blaster horns too. :)

Dave

Unforunately Duster know one anywhere has come up with a fix for this one. I have the same issue of wanting the auto retract to work again but have given up. I also checked the loop connector thinking it would be coroded but it was clean as a whistle. It just stopped working one day and now only works when it feels like it. Maybe one day someone will get to the bottom of it. Good luck.

Gazza

Mine does the same thing, never been disabled and only retracts very rarely. Maybe someday I'll check the connector.

It's a fault with FJR's and no ones ever nailed it for some reason.
If it truly was a "fault with FJRs" don't you reckon there would be more posts about it?

A true fault would be something like the Ignition Switch issues on Gen IIs...or the Instant MPG readout issue on Gen IIs...or the Altitude Sickness issues on Gen IIs...or the Spider Bite issues on Gen IIs...

As CM pointed out, the auto-retract works off the backup fuse, and when working, will light the Neutral light when the shield is going down after the key is turned off and removed, so here's a stupid question:

Is your neutral light working?

Just checked. With key on (bike not started) the neutral light is on. I moved the windsheild up and turned key off. The neutral light went off and the windsheild did not move.

Dave

Just checked. With key on (bike not started) the neutral light is on. I moved the windsheild up and turned key off. The neutral light went off and the windsheild did not move.

Dave
There MUST be some sort of "trigger" switch that detects the shield is up when the key is turned off. That's got to be the issue.

On my Gen I, if the windshield is up and I turn the key off, then the neutral light comes on and the shield lowers. So there's some voltage interruption somewhere, because even if there was a mechanical reason the shield wouldn't retract, I'd guess the neutral light would still light up during the retract phase.

Looks like you need to get out a voltmeter, dig out the wiring diagram and start tracing wires.

Such a switch would be inside the drive mechanism, I think. Haven't looked for it, haven't needed to, but it may not be immediately accessible. Wiring and voltages to the unit may be just fine, but some switch inside full of crud and stuck.

Mine ('03) became intermittent, now only very rarely retracts automatically. I did not deem this a problem, until my dash board began to melt. I have the over-sized "AHAMAY" touring windshield and have seen it reported here that unretracted touring screens contribute to the "magnifying glass" effect that is melting the dash. Just recently, a new melting to the left of the reset button (the original melt was to the right). Now I DO deem the failure of the auto-retract to be a problem and have taken to manually retracting. I'm now definitely intending to get this fixed.

Hey Duster, can't quite figure out if you're trying to fix something that's not (really) broken.

Mine's kinda going there too (very occasionally), but WTH.

Well, it's not that big of an issue. I just really didn't mind it when it worked. If it was a simple fix, it prefer it to work.

Dave

Hmm. Interesting. Mine's disabled but when I washed it after SFO the devil screen retracted. Only once. Has never retracted while riding in the rain though. Figure that out.

Mine ('03) became intermittent, now only very rarely retracts automatically. I did not deem this a problem, until my dash board began to melt. I have the over-sized "AHAMAY" touring windshield and have seen it reported here that unretracted touring screens contribute to the "magnifying glass" effect that is melting the dash. Just recently, a new melting to the left of the reset button (the original melt was to the right). Now I DO deem the failure of the auto-retract to be a problem and have taken to manually retracting. I'm now definitely intending to get this fixed.
Yes, yes, and after I rode in the rain all day Friday, the retract function is back full time. There must be a connection...or disconnection.

Latest posts