Windshield feedback plz. 6'4" rider....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Joe

Reaction score
Hi All,

I know this is a subject which has been discussed in and out onto various posts. I've read about the Ceebay, CalSci, V-Strom, Rifle, OEM touring, etc. but have yet to make a decision on the one I'll purchased.

I recently purchased a 2008 FJR and LOVE it. You've got to understand that I'm coming from a "racer" background, having been on the Katana's, Gixers, etc, and was fed up with being cramped all the time. I'm 6'4, 34"inseam, 270lbs and wanted a bike which would give me the excitment a sport bike can, without having to stop and massage my legs and forearms every 15 minutes. I found that bike...

With the recent purchase, the owner (bought used) gave me his open face helmet. I've always riden with a full face, now Shoei RF1000 and love it...but I've tried out the open face on a few hot summer days. Where I'm from, hot summer days are between July and August...usually snow on the ground from November to April...Nevertheless, I kinda liked the open face felling, sensing even more this feeling of freedom you get when you ride your bike.

On my first rides, I had the stock windshield in the down position and got the air hitting me from top shoulder up. In the up position, I've got air hitting me just at eye level and it's a PITA...lot's a bug where I'm from and would love to be able to ride the bike without having to duck a few inches, in order to keep my Oakley's clean.

Furthermore, I've also noticed like most of you, that in the full up position, there is a lot of turbulence which rocks the riders head wobbling from left to right. Also, depending on winds; I guess, some backpressure which forces the helmets to be pushed forward.

To make a long story short, (pretty long so far- sorry, first post) for a tall rider like me, which windshield would be a good option for me. If possible, specify Make and size. I'd like; if possible to still be able to look over the windshield.

Thanks for any help you can give me; (I'm from Ontario, Canada)

Dr. Joe

Cee Bailey's 4 High 2 Wide flip is what I run. Your measurements are the same as mine, I won't tell you it's the best but I have liked it well enough that I haven't looked else where either. We don't have real summers or winters here in the Pacific North Wet so I'll throw in a disclaimer that when I head out on a trip where they have real summers I'll throw on the stocker and put up with the extra buffeting.

Please try a flip helmet, not the best protection but when you start to play you can flip it down and have better protection.

I had a Calsci large and didn't like the buffeting on my shoulders. Went with the Rifle +5 and it ended the noise and buffeting, flows good air when down, protects you when up. It's a little wide, but great. IF you want more air flow when up and deflecting bugs in the heat, get the Baker Air Wings. I really like the Rifle.

Come out to CFR in June. There will be quite a few bikes there with all kinds of farkles on 'em. You can ask the owners first-hand about their 'speriences.

With that said, when I bought my '04 it came with a Givi flip. After EOM '08 I decided to get a V-stream. Yeah, it's big as a friggin' barn door, but I really like it.

I haven't seen Big-D post up yet, but I know he has the rifle as well and he likes it. Don't know his exact dimensions, but he's a big/tall guy.

I am 6'5" and about your weight and I have a calsi +5.5 and it is good but not great. If I were doing it again I would try the rifle +5.

I am 6'5" and about your weight and I have a calsi +5.5 and it is good but not great. If I were doing it again I would try the rifle +5.
+ 1/2. I'm 6'5", and a little lighter at 240, but whatever.

Only other remark is that with the CalSci XL windscreen in top position the high pressure airstrean coming in between the fairing and bottom of windscreen is strong enough to carry a stream of raindrops upwards, where they hit me right at the bottom of my helmet visor. Rainy days are the worst for fogging, so I like to ride with the visor cracked; if the visor is so cracked, the rain comes right in.

With a shorter widnscreen, or with the XL windscreen down a bit, the rain stays out of my helmet. As another resident of the Great North Wet, I wanted the big windscreen for rain protection as much as anything else and find that the need to keep it below full height means that it doesn't help as much as I'd hoped.

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2008 FJR and LOVE it. You've got to understand that I'm coming from a "racer" background, having been on the Katana's, Gixers, etc, and was fed up with being cramped all the time. I'm 6'4, 34"inseam, 270lbs and wanted a bike which would give me the excitment a sport bike can, without having to stop and massage my legs and forearms every 15 minutes. I found that bike...

Dr. Joe

Here's the part I don't understand.

You say you are used to "racer" bikes and usually wear a full face helmet but found the stock shield too small. :blink:

Just buy a Gold Wing and be done with it. :glare:

Heum! That's not the reason I started this thread. If I wanted advice on what type of bike to get, I would've probably not joined this forum which I found was providing it's readers some very good information. Furthermore, I also found that 99.99999% of it's members were very respectfull and wanted to assist other FJR owners with great feedback to get the most enjoyment from our bikes. By the way, THANK YOU very much SRT8 for the thread link you posted in this thread (just a few rows up). I've read the entire thread posted by BIG-D and found out exactly what I'm looking for. Looks like I'm buying a Rifle shield...all you tall guys out there, look no further, read up on this thread posted by Big D.

So, after all, it seems I won't have to get myself a Goldwing...

I'm 6'3", 270, and love the V-Stream. The shield widens at the top and spreads the airflow around my shoulders better. Its easy to adjust the screen yo just the right position for most speeds and conditions.

To make a long story short, (pretty long so far- sorry, first post) for a tall rider like me, which windshield would be a good option for me. If possible, specify Make and size. I'd like; if possible to still be able to look over the windshield.
I recently bought an '06, I added a Yamaha Touring shield and I'm quite satisfied with it. I wear an old worn Nolan helmet that's pretty noisy, but that's no fault of the shield. The Yam shield provides more than enough protection to suit me. It doesn't equal my EG, but different bikes, different protection. Oh yeah, I'm 6'4", 280#, 34" inseam.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have contemplated the rifle but I think it looks kinda wierd in pictures, the way the bottom sticks out. However I have never seen one in real life. Does it look better than the pics? I recently saw an '06 FJR at a bike shop that had a windshield with a kind of triangular shape towards the bottom of it. does anyone know what kind that might be and how it works. I thought it looked like it could possibly reduce the buffeting.

I have contemplated the rifle but I think it looks kinda wierd in pictures, the way the bottom sticks out. However I have never seen one in real life. Does it look better than the pics? I recently saw an '06 FJR at a bike shop that had a windshield with a kind of triangular shape towards the bottom of it. does anyone know what kind that might be and how it works. I thought it looked like it could possibly reduce the buffeting.
It's a big windsheild, no doubt about it. But it works and when I have it all the way up, there;s no wind or turbulence, which is nice this time of year.