Winter storage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little bit OT but I was just curious...

Any of you foul weather riders located in the salted country ever use products like Salt Away since it's such a common issue?

I use it in/on my offshore boat after each outing and treat all my high dollar fishing gear, too. Stuff works very well.

It is now December 22 (Merry Christmas, by the way). There is no snow forecasted here in CT for quite some time. The roads are dry. It's cold, but that's why they make heated vests.

But there's too danged much salt on the stupid roads. It's like they had to use their December (and January and February) quotient regardless of whether it was needed.

Bah humbug.

1. Plastic (or wood) under the wheels (I had just enough MotoFloor tiles left over from my previous house to fit under the bike)

2. Trickle charger (I currently use Yuasa, but have used Battery Tender Jr on other bikes)

3. Ride it when weather allows (last winter it meant 4-5 times)

Forgot to add 4. Cover when not in use

Last edited by a moderator:
Going on a ride today and I'm in Salt Lake. I figure 30 degrees, yep, no problem!

Well, it will be a little cold, and I will get a few strange looks, but I have cold weather gear, pants, jacket, boots, gloves. If the streets are dry, I'm riding a bit. :yahoo:

All done as long as I remember is plug in the battery tender, rise the bikes off the floor, put the covers on, and wait till the salt is off the roads....

I don't due a lot. I charge the battery once on week for a couple of hours. I have a bunch of battery chargers. A four stage fancy one I use on my boat battery and a couple of moto chargers. Not sure if the Walmart cheapy or the batterytender works better. I use a multimeter to check the voltage and recommend them for assessing the state of the battery. Keep the voltage above 12.5 v and I dont think you will sulphate the battery. Full charge should be around 12.7- 12.8 V. If you can't get 12.7 V you may in the sulphate mode. AGM batteries (FJR type) lose less charger per month than lead acid batteries. I don't trust the constant charge idea. I am always afraid I will boil the electrolyte in the battery.

I did everything when I left for 7 months at the end of last year (including pulling the battery and putting it on a trickle charger the entire time). I'm on my way out again this time, but for no more than 90 days. I just changed the oil a couple of months ago and haven't gotten in much riding. Think I might just pull the battery and plug up the holes (critters) this time around.

Actually, I think I just figured out the best winter storage: take the Feejer over to have an Ohlins shock and some other work done, so it's ready to go when it warms up. :)

Rode into work on Christmas Eve - 28'F - not bad at all but then got caught off guard two days later by the 30"s of snow delivered by the 2010 Blizzard. since I don't have a garage I had to dig the old girl out after the plows finally cleared the roads. I added my Stabil topped her off and finally rode her over to my brother-in-law's garage the day after New Years. I'll stop over this weekend to throw her on the tender and see when I can get to the other items on my to do list.

Winter Sucks. :angry: