Wiring Zumo550 Help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on wiring my new GPS?

Wire straight to battery?

Add a fuse box?

Add a power Distribution unit?

The power wire that came with the unit does have a in-line fuse.

I have a friend willing to help with the install tonight. So, with any luck I will be up and running tomorrow.

Thank you,

John T.

I tried this post, but no pictures.

Link

Does anyone have any suggestions on wiring my new GPS?
Wire straight to battery?

Add a fuse box?

Add a power Distribution unit?

The power wire that came with the unit does have a in-line fuse.

I have a friend willing to help with the install tonight. So, with any luck I will be up and running tomorrow.

Thank you,

John T.

I tried this post, but no pictures.

Link
The zumo comes with a wiring harness that even with the inline fuse cut off, I was able to connect to my switched power Blue Seas distribution block located under the passenger seat of my FJR. I highly recommend this wiring method. It turns the zumo on when the key is turned on and shuts it off 30 seconds after turning the key off.

In about five minutes I am wiring my new Zumo to the Accessory Circuit (glove box plug). It's readily available up front, fused and IMO, totally freakin' useless for anything else.

I am using six-pin mini DIN connectors for presenting all my circuits up front. I bought a keyboard/mouse extension cable and cut it in half to get the connectors and wire needed. This allows me to make changes on the receiving(male) side without disturbing the supply(female) side wired to bike.

I did run a dedicated ground wire from the battery to the handlebar area and female connector.

In about five minutes I am wiring my new Zumo to the Accessory Circuit (glove box plug). It's readily available up front, fused and IMO, totally freakin' useless for anything else.
I am using six-pin mini DIN connectors for presenting all my circuits up front. I bought a keyboard/mouse extension cable and cut it in half to get the connectors and wire needed. This allows me to make changes on the receiving(male) side without disturbing the supply(female) side wired to bike.

I did run a dedicated ground wire from the battery to the handlebar area and female connector.

I wired mine to the battery.

How you wire any Farkle ultimately ends up being a personal preference.

Two thoughts on GPS wiring:

-Switched power - Save your battery if you forget to turn off the GPS. Bike is off, GPS is off. GPS units don't draw huge amounts of power but it will drain your battery eventually.

-Unswitched power - GPS doesn't turn off and lose your satellite fix, stop playing music, etc.. when you turn off the bike for a rest, refuel, etc...

The newer GPS units like your Zumo do have much faster GPS satellite acquisition than older units but some prefer not losing reception or having to deal with any navigation warmup time if possible.

I vote for unswitched power with an inline fuse via a distribution box (i.e. blue-sea) on my GPS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all.

Anyone have a link to the Blue Seas distribution block?

I will wire to the battery tonight so I cna use the unit this weekend. Then re-wire to the Blue Seas distribution block once I get it.

How you wire any Farkle ultimately ends up being a personal preference.
Two thoughts on GPS wiring:

-Switched power - Save your battery if you forget to turn off the GPS. Bike is off, GPS is off. GPS units don't draw huge amounts of power but it will drain your battery eventually.

-Unswitched power - GPS doesn't turn off and lose your satellite fix, stop playing music, etc.. when you turn off the bike for a rest, refuel, etc...

The newer GPS units like your Zumo do have much faster GPS satellite acquisition than older units but some prefer not losing reception or having to deal with any navigation warmup time if possible.

I vote for unswitched power with an inline fuse via a distribution box (i.e. blue-sea) on my GPS.
Definitely wire with a switched power source...when the bike is turned off the Zumo allows you to continue on it's battery power to maintain satellite contact or to switch off completely. By the way, I am so happy with my Zumo I use it instad of the GPS in my car or my motorhome. I now need to buy another as my wife and I fight over it.

Definitely wire with a switched power source...when the bike is turned off the Zumo allows you to continue on it's battery power to maintain satellite contact or to switch off completely. By the way, I am so happy with my Zumo I use it instad of the GPS in my car or my motorhome. I now need to buy another as my wife and I fight over it.
+1000

Wiring to unswitched power is a disaster in the making. You can either leave the unit on, in which case you will run down the battery on the bike - it is only rated 12 AH. Even switching it off drains the battery over time - the charger will suck current forever.

You can set the unit to give you 30 seconds to abort the powerdown and have it power up automatically.

Wire to switched power.