Wobbling front end

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When "on tour" withthe topcase installed, I fasten my Nelson-Rigg tail bag on the pillion seat. That's where I carry my tool kit, straps and tiedowns, cleaning gear, shock blanket and first-aid kit. It seems to "fill the void" and defer and vortices that affect handling as described by you.

Try a sleeping bag, or anything that will tie onto the pillion seat. It doesn't have to be tall, maybe 18" or so.

I have a tall rear seat bag as well as the Givi 46 and have not noticed the wobble, so the aerodynamic theory has merit...

When "on tour" withthe topcase installed, I fasten my Nelson-Rigg tail bag on the pillion seat. That's where I carry my tool kit, straps and tiedowns, cleaning gear, shock blanket and first-aid kit. It seems to "fill the void" and defer and vortices that affect handling as described by you.
Try a sleeping bag, or anything that will tie onto the pillion seat. It doesn't have to be tall, maybe 18" or so.
I don't have a box but i have a large t bag that sits directly behind me as a back rest. Flat out with panniers on no problem.

The Givi is way behind and in the airflow as it reconnects behind you. Wiggle wiggle!

All the more reason to learn how to take less on those trips and do w/o a top box. They look like crap anyway :wacko:

I have noticed same wobble with lunch box on the rack thanks for the insight I will move it closer in the morning and let you know how it works.

as for daughter being to young I used to take my daughter to preschool on my sv650, Boy did I get a lot of dirty looks from the other parents when we pulled up to the school all the kids came running my daughter was the coolest girl in the place.

she rides her own bike now!

There was a slight wobble at 60-70 with my Givi C-46 (with wind gusts it seems to affect front & rear a little differently). Faster than that & it seems to disappear.

Maybe there is some difference between the aerodynamics of the Yamaha top box & the Givi ?

Did 13k last year, most with the Givi on, most at highway speeds or better. Wasn't an issue for me, or if it was, it was so minor I just adapted & forgot about it...

Maybe there is some difference between the aerodynamics of the Yamaha top box & the Givi ?
I'm quite sure there is , but there would be no way to make any comparisons other than trying out each box on the same bike with the same rider.

Those that travel should note here that although this event will likely not cause any serious problems , it is however a "flaw" in the bikes aerodynamics and will help you to burn more fuel.

KM

I will place a bag between me and the box to see if the effect goes away.
I think you could find kinder words to describe your mistress. :D

I agree the issue is aerodynamic. I had the same experience with my Yamaha top case until installing a CeeBailey +4+4. Suddenly the wobble problem was gone. But then not everyone wants a barn door windscreen, 'specially if ya hail from AZ.

100% concur. Also use the nelson riggs tailbag.

This is the answer, plus you can carry tons more gear.

How do you attach yours? I'm using 2 bungie buddys in the rear side panels near the forward dacing luggage opening and givi rack in the rear.

I use the Givi rack on the rear, and put the front hooks "under" the pillion seat. It's never moved.

I use the Nelson-Rigg for the "heavy" stuff, like the tool kit, etc., because that puts the weight on the pillion seat ahead of the rear axle. I'd rather carry too much stuff when group riding or touring....I hate to be "stuck" needing wrenches or sockets. Plus, "in case" we ever need the first aid stuff, its right on the top of the bag. Thank God I've never needed it for anyone: my group, another group or a single rider!

as for daughter being to young I used to take my daughter to preschool on my sv650, Boy did I get a lot of dirty looks from the other parents when we pulled up to the school all the kids came running my daughter was the coolest girl in the place.
If it was for my daughter... she would love to ride with me, it is the wife giving the dirty looks that prevents us from riding together. :(

FJRocha, I you are not using your side cases, pull them off and try it. I noticed a big difference in stability and buffeting in general with the stock windscreen '04 model. I have a CeeBailey's +4+1 with a flip for winter riding and it doesn't make as much difference. I only get a slight side to side in the rear over 110 mph. The front thing you are feeling could be totally different. I would make sure your tire pressure is spot on, and some door knob hasn't adjusted your left or right fork knob while you were parked somewhere. That happened to me once, immediately noticed a wierd 'feel' to the front end.

Good luck, hope this is helpful.

... I would make sure your tire pressure is spot on, and some door knob hasn't adjusted your left or right fork knob while you were parked somewhere. That happened to me once, immediately noticed a wierd 'feel' to the front end.Good luck, hope this is helpful.
Good point on the shock adjustments, maybe numb-rod tinkered with it while I was away.... I'll have to check that.

Also, being in the middle of the crude AZ winter, I am riding with a deployed parachute (CB +4+4), and I can feel the wind moving the bike from time to time, but what the top box is doing is more perceivable that the CB windshield.

I have noticed same wobble with  lunch box on the rack thanks for the insight I will move it closer in the morning and let you know how it works.
as for  daughter  being to young I used to take my daughter to preschool on my sv650, Boy did I get a lot of dirty looks from the other parents when we pulled up to the school all the kids came running my daughter was the coolest girl in the place.

Today I moved lunch box forward all the wobble is gone.

Thanks for bringing the subject up and all the great input.

problem solved!