Woot!!!! Scala Rider G4 getting real close now.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djon

Reaction score
Mine has been on back order since July. I talked myself out of getting the Q2 and wait for the G4 to come out in September. So 6 months+ I am still waiting but now the website reflects new model. The show dates match up with the V-Twin show in Cincinnati.

1 mile range will have to see it to believe it.

They don't list the price of headset for sale on there site yet.

https://www.cardosystems.com/us/homepage

Feb 6-8 2010 V-Twin Expo

Feb 12-14 2010 Dealer Expo

There are two ebay listings, one claims to ship end of January, the other claims 5 in stock. According to him, MSRP is $299.95

https://cgi.ebay.com/Scala-Rider-G4-Bluetoo...=item2eaa1dd44c

There is/was a lot of misinformation out there previously about these. I will wait until the dust settles, but I am interested. I have the Q2 units at present, and wondering if an upgrade is called for. Not that much to gain really, unless someone can tell me the speakers are better for music. The current ones have poor bass response, but good for voice.

Mine are in transit but I know it won't make in by this weekend. The speakers are suppose to be upgraded from the Q2 so I hope this will help with any issues with the lack of volume and music quality. WebBikeWorld should have units in their hands now since UK has been shipping since January so I was hoping the would have a review pretty soon, then they will have decent comparison of volume with the F4.

FM is a deal maker for me because I want to have XM via FM for longer rides.

Rec mine from Premier cycle yesterday. That price is for one headset. Did not look like that in the add but with that price point I knew it was only one set.

Have not had a chance to try it yet.

If you can get someone to go in with you for a powerset $399. Downside would only be one charger.
Link
Looks like the charger port is a micro USB, so I would wind up using my own 12v cable and likely keep the 120v charger at home... I would need both units, so I can't split the cost with anybody,, unfortunately... I am interested in getting some feedback before making a purchase.. I am really trying to hold out until they have a system that will integrate with FRS/GMRS as well.

If you can get someone to go in with you for a powerset $399. Downside would only be one charger.
Link
Looks like the charger port is a micro USB, so I would wind up using my own 12v cable and likely keep the 120v charger at home... I would need both units, so I can't split the cost with anybody,, unfortunately... I am interested in getting some feedback before making a purchase.. I am really trying to hold out until they have a system that will integrate with FRS/GMRS as well.
I agree with the FRS/GMRS integration comment. That would solve the multiple bike-to-bike issue nicely.

Scala is a Bluetooth company promoting their own communication systems, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to embrace FRS/GMRS too. I can see them improving phone, GPS and entertainment but not RF communications.

Scala is a Bluetooth company promoting their own communication systems, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to embrace FRS/GMRS too. I can see them improving phone, GPS and entertainment but not RF communications.
I am not sure that they will, but sooner or later one of these companies will realize that not everybody is going to buy their units alone, and that their needs to be some standardization for bike to bike comms. I don't even want or expect built in FRS functionality, just the ability to add it, even if it has to be via cable. There are some Bluetooth adapters like the IMC Camos BTS-300, but I don't think they work very well.

For rider/passenger comms, most of these systems are great. To do rider to rider, everybody has to have the same unit, and while I might be able to talk a few friends into the same unit, I doubt I could convince everybody, especially those that already have something. And when riding with "new" people, who knows what they might have.

I don't expect the manufacturers to standardize on a protocol that they will all use, but allowing the units to be expandable to support some common comm method on the few occasions we might need it would be nice. Thats the beauty of the Autocom and Starcom systems. You can do almost anything you want, albeit, with wires.

I just got a Motorola Soundpilot so I can stream GPS/Music/Phone to my helmet, so I have most of the functionality I want for $30. If I needed a system now I'd be looking into the Scala G4 and Interphone F4 systems.

Edit: And it doesnt need to be Scala that does this. There are other players in this market, and if one were to do it, its likely the others will follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I've been watching and reviewing for the last couple years, as I know I'll be upgrading from the old AutoCom set-up.

FRS/GMRS is the one aspect that isn't being dealt with on most of these systems, except for

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-int...tooth-intercom/

This system seems to be the only possible way to possibly have the best of both. Haven't seen much real world evaluations yet out there.

In reality, we don't use the FRS radios much for other than between the wife and I anyway. I think we've tied into others on some group rides maybe 3-4 times in the last 2 years. At that rate, I'm thinking about just foregoing that ability. Still waiting and watching though.

FRS/GMRS is the one aspect that isn't being dealt with on most of these systems, except for

This system seems to be the only possible way to possibly have the best of both. Haven't seen much real world evaluations yet out there.
Wow, thanks for pointing that system out! It pretty much does exactly what I want it to do. Availability however looks limited here in the states.

I am not sure that they will, but sooner or later one of these companies will realize that not everybody is going to buy their units alone, and that their needs to be some standardization for bike to bike comms. I don't even want or expect built in FRS functionality, just the ability to add it, even if it has to be via cable.
For rider/passenger comms, most of these systems are great. To do rider to rider, everybody has to have the same unit, and while I might be able to talk a few friends into the same unit, I doubt I could convince everybody, especially those that already have something. And when riding with "new" people, who knows what they might have.

I don't expect the manufacturers to standardize on a protocol that they will all use, but allowing the units to be expandable to support some common comm method on the few occasions we might need it would be nice. Thats the beauty of the Autocom and Starcom systems. You can do almost anything you want, albeit, with wires.

Edit: And it doesnt need to be Scala that does this. There are other players in this market, and if one were to do it, its likely the others will follow.
I'm totally with you on this post and think the ability to connect to a FRS, CB, or any other radio would be the holy grail to get people to buy these systems. The manufacturers could bury Autocom with this feature. It would take a simple BT dongle that plugs into the FRS or CB headset port.

Our Chatterbox XBi2 units work fine but all the trucks and a lot of Goldwings on the road run CB while other people run FRS radios, and then there's the whole problem of figuring out who is on the same system. I would love to be able to run CB with the XBi2! It's even more frustrating that Chatterbox XBi2 and Scala G4 are both state of the art A2DP but won't communicate.

Wow, thanks for pointing that system out! It pretty much does exactly what I want it to do. Availability however looks limited here in the states.
I contacted the manufacturer and they will ship their complete system with optional noise filter via fedex for $699. MSRP is $749 without noise filter or shipping. contact email is: [email protected] . This system is tops on my list right now, but I haven't gotten CFO approval yet. :angry:

My main concern would be that these would not be loud enough to work well with a good set (read 33dB) earplugs in place. The smaller (but still significant) concern is that they are 100% incompatible with FRS/GMRS that everyone else uses.

Sure seems like a lot of money for what you are getting. :unsure: