Woot!!!! Scala Rider G4 getting real close now.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My head is pretty fat, so my helmet is a little on the big side (RF1000, XL). As of now, putting the helmet in the side case is a little snug.

I wonder if the Q4 hanging off the side of my helmet will make it so it won't fit on the side case anymore???

Anyone have experience with any of these side mounted comm systems have any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
My XL Arai with a Q2 fits in my side case but only facing one direction. My wife's M Arai with Q2 fits facing either direction. May be apples and oranges (Arais and Shoeis?).

My main concern would be that these would not be loud enough to work well with a good set (read 33dB) earplugs in place. The smaller (but still significant) concern is that they are 100% incompatible with FRS/GMRS that everyone else uses.
Sure seems like a lot of money for what you are getting. :unsure:
I have some of the same concerns.

I tried Nolan's Ncom system and the volume was barely adequate in the store when maxed out - forget it on the road. I emailed Bikercom with my volume concern and received the following reply:

I am confident you will not have any concern with the BikerCom speaker output.

We have had three reviews to date and all have commented that the BikerCom audio quality is good.

Please read the comments below…

[ https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-int...tooth-intercom/ ]webBikeWorld

“Audio broadcasting from the Control Box to the rider and passenger headsets works really well and as long as nothing of a higher priority intrudes the stereo steam is virtually perfect.”

[ https://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/2009_O..._Communications ]Ultimate Motorcycling

“Not being tethered-by-wire to the iPod was also liberating for me. More importantly the audio quality of my iPod was superior to other systems I have used in the past. That's especially true regarding the stand-alone type systems.”

[ https://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/re...tion-gear-1.htm ]Bikes in the Fast Lane

“I connected up my iPhone via wire to the Control Box (#5-6), and turned it on. The iPhone started playing music. Damn! The music was very, very loud! You turn down the volume level by pressing the Volume Down button on the head set (#7-1). If you've reach the maximum (or minimum), the light in the head set (#6-4) stays red for a few seconds. Of course, you need to have taken off your helmet to see the light. In fact, it was a good sign that the volume can be very loud. Many bikers complain that at speed, and often with ear plugs, they can not hear anything. This is so loud, that people in cars should hear you.... Anyway, the music was great, and in stereo. Good sound reproduction. Of course, it's not a concert hall with top-of-the-line audio equipment, so if you're an audiophile, forget it. But to listen to some riding music, it's great.”

You might also like watch a YouTube review from Two Wheels 2 Anywhere which features live demonstrations of the BikerCom audio.

[

]Click here to watch the YouTube BikerCom Review

They also give a 2 week money back guarantee - if you're not satisfied, send it back on their dime.

The cost is also a concern, but this system is a complete stereo bluetooth audio integrator with all cables and parts needed. I'm still mulling it over.....

I just ordered the G4s for myself, gf, and my brother. I hope they work out well...

Finally got some ride time with G4's. Did not get to test phone system. So here are my first impressions, since I have never owned a headset I don't have any comparisons.

Install on the Arai was easy enough took 20 minutes in all. Speakers were attached to helmet liner with velcro.

The wife has a Scorpion EX 400 and I mounted her speakers behind liner at the end of the cheek pads because the hole were the ears has no liner, so that install took about 45 minutes.

Bluetooth synch worked well with both units just follow instructions. Bluetooth on the phone has to be on when you power up headset or it won't make link. I keep mine off to save on power when not on bike.

I ran with a V-Stream windshield down at indicated speeds of 75 MPH range with an Arai Quantam II helmet, Iphone 3GS and MAX ear plugs rated at 33db.

The FM audio level at highway speeds I would consider adequate. I think it could use a little more volume but that may have been done on purpose from the factory as a safety factor. I had no problems hearing music, words or speech. At 20 mile range out of town the FM started cutting out but I don't think I had RDS activated at the time., default is off. The AGC-automatic gain control takes a little getting used to when slowing down, sounds fuzzy. When max volume is reached and the button is held down the the sounds cuts out for 3 or 4 seconds trying to figure out what to do.

Audio streaming via bluetooth was definitely better quality and more volume than FM. The only headset controls that seem to work for me was volume. The pause/play, forward and rewind functions for bluetooth did not work according to instructions. Not sure which device is at fault for that one.

The intercom worked OK but I would have liked a little more volume on it also. I found it easier to activate with the button than with the VOX. It does take 3 or 4 seconds to switch over when using switch. I got tired of waiting the 30 seconds for the vox to kick out so I would use switch. The microphone has slots on the back side for gain compensation.

I am just glad to be able to listen to tunes without the wires. So it's FM locally and Ipod/Iphone for trips.

Scala Rider G4 Review Part One

I have been waiting for a "good" Bluetooth helmet communication and entertainment system for almost three years. The specifications for the Scala Rider G4 looked like it would fit the bill nicely, so I pulled the trigger and bought one.

Necessary criteria for purchase:

A2DP and AVRCP with quality sound for music loud enough to hear clearly

Intercom with three separate riders in full duplex

Full duplex communication with four people; two riders and their passengers

Greater than 1/2 mile range (G4 claims one mile with flip up antenna)

It is relatively cold here today (42 F), but I installed and test rode.

Particulars:

FJR1300A, Shoei RF1000, T-Mobile Android G1.

The installation was very easy. I had to remove the foam from the mic so it wouldn't be rubbing against my lips. The ear spaces in the helmet required a little padding to bring the speakers up against my ears. This was easily accomplished by cutting up one of those thin foam 'Koozies' that one would use to keep their favorite beverage cold on a hot summer day. Two layers worked for me, and I used STRONG double sided tape to attach the layers together, and to the inside of the helmet. The velcro with tape (suppled with the G4) was stuck to the koozie-foam, and the speakers 'velcroed' to the koozie-foam.

Performance

Pairing was a breeze. A tone announces power on, followed by a feminine british voice telling me the phone was paired. Long press on the MP3 button, and my shuffled music played clearly. Sound quality is VERY good, but is a little lacking in Bass. This is MUCH less noticeable when actually riding. Automatic volume control works as advertised and dropped the volume when slowing down and stopping. There is plenty of clear volume available for un-plugged ears up to triple digits (if you know what I mean). Turned off at a stop, and when turned back on, pairing resumed and that british lady again told me the connection was there. Long press on MP3 button and tunes resumed.

I am recommending to my friends that they purchase these units, and will report on intercom functions if and when they do. I will also report back on phone use when I get a chance to try that out.

One thing to note. When using the phone for MP3s, voice answer of the phone is not possible, and a button must be pushed on the unit to answer (according to the manual).

So far, I give it a 'highly recommended'.

That's all for now.

PS, summer gloves suck big time when it's cold :D

I already have the Scala Rider Teamset. Been using it for a while. The folks at Cardo Wireless told me that if I bought just one unit, I could pair the G4 with the driver unit from the Teamset. This way, can still talk to my wife on the back, but be able to talk to other bikes in the group.

Anybody with a G4, have a Teamset to try this? Does it work?

My guess is the "conference" feature won't work with the driver teamset unit, and I'd have to switch back and forth from group to local?

Thanks for any help. Just trying to figure out how to justify another $400 for two units, after already owning the teamset... hard to justify. If this works, then I only have to buy one unit, maybe.

Other than what I've gleemed from Cardo's website, I'm not familiar at all with the Scala systems. Is it possible to use their system(s) with earbud style speakers instead of the helmet speakers?

Other than what I've gleemed from Cardo's website, I'm not familiar at all with the Scala systems. Is it possible to use their system(s) with earbud style speakers instead of the helmet speakers?
Not without the help of your friend, Mr. Solder Gun.

Too bad they didn't provide an 1/8 inch jack so you could use the speakers/ear buds of your choice. I think it's a significant design flaw. Otherwise I like everything I have read about the Scala G4. My 2 cents.

Too bad they didn't provide an 1/8 inch jack so you could use the speakers/ear buds of your choice. I think it's a significant design flaw. Otherwise I like everything I have read about the Scala G4. My 2 cents.
Some folks have done the mod and swapped in a 1/8" jack. I'll be honest, I've thought about it.

https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442304

I havent gotten to test it on a ride yet, but here's what I did so far:

1. connected the audio cable to my computer and mp3 player (one at a time)

2. made a call on the cell (after pariring it)

3. had someone call me while listening to my mp3.

All this was done in the comfort of my bedroom. So far, it's been fine. I'll let you guys know how the volume is when I ride it (hopefully this weekend)

As a side note, the microphone is wierd about talk commands when you want to make a call on the cell. Not sure whether my phone sucks (very probable) or if the headset /mic placement is to blame.

Well, I've used the G4s now for a few rides, and 1 test ride with 3 people. The pairing of the headsets gave us a little trouble in 3 mode, but I think it was more due to my lack of knowing how to pair them. Once they were paired, it was great! We rode around a few roads up to 70MPH. We didnt get to test the range, but they were great up to 1/4 mile distance. Making a turn off the exit created some static (1/4) so I'm guessing that these will not work 1 mile apart unless there are clear blue skies and no other interference. 1/4 of a mile isnt bad though. I cant imagine that I would need more than that. We did have the antenas up (all 3 of us)

The intercom worked solid, we dont use earplugs, and volume was more than loud enough. I had it at the minimum level the whole time and clicking it up 2 levels at 70MPH and the windscreen all the way up too. This was on my HJC FS-15.

Installation: like others have said is pretty easy once you get it. First one took 30 minutes, the others took less than 10mins each.

Blutooth: pairs really quick. My phone keeps freezing so it's really annoying not to be able to try this. I blame the Omnia I have (gen 1). I want to toss this thing and never see it again. I can make calls on it after pairing, and had conversations while riding. However, once I hang up, I have to pull over and unlock the device to make any calls. So no hands free calling with the phone I have. I really hate that samsung. Anyways, back to the review.... The GF has a phone, she got no problems with it, and my brother has a phone (LG) and he was fine with it too. I suspect that riding and making hands free calls is too much to ask. Even in the house, making the phone work through the mic is tricky and it often misses the numbers said. Pairing it to a GPS and dialing with the touch-screen should fix that problem....now I need a gps unit.

Battery life: I've only charged it once, about the time of my previous post, and since then it's been on battery life without a new charge. I havent used it much, but it at least gives you an idea of how well the charge holds when you turn the system off. I've had it on for about ...3 hrs. The rest of the past 2 weeks has been off. I think the system will hold up nicely.

MP3/ i pod (wired): this has been flawless, and the music is great, highs and mids are good, and the bass...well, what bass? I'm just happy to hear music =)

That's about it.