Worst State for PoPo and tickets?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never got a ticket I didn't deserve. The funniest one was somewhere north of Cincinnati, pulled over by a decent looking female officer who proceeded to tell me that I'd been popped by the officer in the plane overhead. Karma.

For the most part, all my encounters have been relatively pain free and professional. I did get a bit of a lecture from a Virginia statey which is annoying, but at least he seemed to care about protecting the public, rather than just generating revenue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well all I can say is stay out of Oregon after playing in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming for a week. Their speed limit for their roads is pitiful!

I've been let go with a warning waaaay more times than I've deserved. I think it's Karma coming my way for being a good little boy my whole life. Don't like the lectures though. I've been tempted many times to say: Ok, Ok already. Just give me the Damn ticket and shut up! But, that little voice in my head says: Don't Do It!!! I'm glad I listen to that voice. :)

I have not had a ticket since the early 80s although I've been stopped 5-6 times. Got pulled in WY by a county sheriff doing 90 in a 55 zone. He kept my riding buddy and me on the side of the road chatting about motorsickles for over an hour, then sent us on our way. Since then I've been stopped in CA twice, KS, Germany and OH. In addition to the good advice given earlier about how to behave, I am careful to ensure the LEO sees my military retired ID card (accidentally) and I never call them Sir or Ma'am; think it comes across as condescending. Officer or Trooper seems more apt.

Used to be able to get out of tickets here in Ohio,not any more. 2 in the last year,both 15 over.

I'm not saying NY is good, I've (of course since I live here) been pulled over the most here, I got out of most of them... BUT the Virginia instances just seemed like they were way way over the top.

Oklahoma State Troopers. Crazy bastards, all of them.I heard they only hire former military, dishonorably discharged....

Again! Avoid Oklahoma at all cost.

Jus said and enough sayin....
Some of my best riding buddies are OHP... I won't argue about the "crazy" part tho.

My worst luck has been in NC - be very, very careful crossing a state line into NC, especially on a bike. So far I've been 75% warning, 25% ticket - bike or car - all over the country.

Speeding fines are a huge source or revenue. Can't believe there are any "good" states that haven't tapped into it.

I think that this thread is revealing that "rider beware"...no matter where you are.

Some anecdotal evidence seems to support not riding in many states.

That's just NOT going to be an option for me.

biggrin.png

Living in Montana and having Wyoming, South Dakota and Idaho as our riding backyard is remarkable. Here in Montana we run the interstates at 80-85 and pass troopers without a second look. Almost every 2 lane rural road has a 70 MPH limit and the traffic density on most is low. In the summer some roads near the parks get busy, but there are plenty of others. We moved here from Alaska a few years ago and I feel as if I moved from one motorcycle heaven to another. While Alaska was ideal for my GS, this part of the world is what the FJR was designed for. Throw in southeast British Columbia and southeast Alberta and there are more great rides than the mind can fathom.

I think that this thread is revealing that "rider beware"...no matter where you are.Some anecdotal evidence seems to support not riding in many states.

That's just NOT going to be an option for me.

biggrin.png
The late John Ryan had more than a handful of states he tried to avoid because of unresolved performance awards. Last summer he got written up in Wisconsin for doing 84 in a 55 work zone, First thing he did when he got to Minnesota where we linked-up with him, was to go online to see if MN had reciprocity with New Jersey or Virginia; he was in the process of moving from NJ to VA. He determined that they did not, so he added Wisconsin to his list of states to be avoided. He did have two unresolved tickets in VA that he was concerned about. The statute of limitations had expired on them, but the ability of the state to take administrative actions never expires; what that would actually mean he never lived to findout. It was amusing to watch him try to recall which states he needed to avoid or at least be a very good boy while passing through.

two other idiots and myself got stopped in Gorham NH for 82 in a 55..The trooper was practically screaming at us about the danger from moose...He let us slide when my friend pulled his NYS trooper tin...few miles down the road we came upon a whole herd of Bullwinkles..[at a sane 50 fortunately].. NH fuzz are rough around bike week time...

Any of the northeastern states have far more po-po per square mile (and probably per resident too) than the western ones. There are just so many levels of them.

The Staties tend to primarily patrol the interstates in the more densely populated areas, but in the rural areas they can pop up just about anywhere. On those interstates they often use LIDAR, and there isn't a detector made in the world that is gonna give you enough warning to slow down when they play laser tag with you. Your only chance is to watch the other traffic for brake lights as all the sheep will brake when they see John Law standing in the road pointing an oversized gun at them, even if they aren't speeding!

2 years ago we were running the Vermont Puppy Dog Route, a series of connected dirt roads that go from the Canadian border to the Massachusetts border. Most of those dirt roads are marked 35mph, but on weekdays it isn't hard to average 35-40 mph (which means you'll be going quite a bit faster most of the time). Forget what town it was, but we came sliding around one corner to see a State Cruiser all lit up and the cop standing in the middle of the dirt road. Luckily he was already busy talking to some woman in a car he had pulled over for something or other. We waved as we went by.

As I've said before (often) I tend to prefer to stay on secondary roads instead of highways so my exposure is more towards the townies. But they are typically much less savvy when it comes to traffic enforcement and like to leave the radar running while they drive around, vs the state police that like to hide stationary on the side of the road with the instant on radar. Anytime you come up on a townie who isn't already running the radar, it's always a knee jerk reaction that they will paint you regardless of how fast you are going.

Coming back from a day ride in Vermont a couple years back (where it is legal to pass on a double yellow line) I got pulled over for doing that by a town cop (the chief actually) in Newbury, NH. I saw his blue lights far behind me and pulled right over and pulled off the helmet so he could see the gray.

He first asked me the typical entrapment question: "Do you know why I pulled you over?" I know that you should never, ever answer that question affirmatively. That is an immediate admission of guilt.

So instead I answered in a respectful tone, "No, not really." I also do not believe in laying on the "yes sir, no sir" crap. To me that is just patronizing and comes across completely phoney. It might work differently down south where people actually talk that way.

So he says, "Well, you just passed that car on a double yellow line back there", to which I replied, "Are you sure that was a double yellow?" I knew that he had not clocked my speed because the RD had been completely silent, and he saw the RD sitting up on the handlebar as we were talking, so he knew that I knew.

He asked me where I was coming from (Stowe, VT) and going to (Home) and if I had had any tickets lately, which I was lucky enough to be able to answer No. Not sure why he needed to know the answer to the first two questions, but I didn't want to piss him off and refuse to answer. So, he took my papers and license and ran them from his unmarked car, then came back and told me that I didn't have anything on my record, and (get this) he did not have a ticket book with him so he'd let me off this time. Yeah right.

I tend to ride through that town a little slower these days
wink.png

Oklahoma State Troopers. Crazy bastards, all of them.I heard they only hire former military, dishonorably discharged....

So far I've been 75% warning, 25% ticket - bike or car - all over the country.
That ratio is pretty amazing...I would think it would be the opposite.

It was the opposite when I was younger... after 35 years of driving, I guess I learned a lesson or 2.

Oklahoma State Troopers. Crazy bastards, all of them.

I heard they only hire former military, dishonorably discharged....

So far I've been 75% warning, 25% ticket - bike or car - all over the country.
That ratio is pretty amazing...I would think it would be the opposite.
She must be pretty darn persuasive!

two other idiots and myself got stopped in Gorham NH for 82 in a 55..The trooper was practically screaming at us about the danger from moose...He let us slide when my friend pulled his NYS trooper tin...few miles down the road we came upon a whole herd of Bullwinkles..[at a sane 50 fortunately].. NH fuzz are rough around bike week time...
We were on our way to Laconia some years back with me in the lead (I hate that position, but I always seem to have the best nav set up in the group, go figure). We just crossed the state line, running about 80, and I see my buddies start dropping back. At the next stop they all walked up saying something about me having big balls. I had no idea what they were talking about. Apparently there was a statey sitting there with his arm out the window doing the "slow down" wave. I never saw him. Turns out, I'm no better endowed than anybody else and probably less observant.

Wyoming has a statute that reads:

"Speeding violations of up to eighty (80) miles per hour where the posted speed limit is at least sixty-five (65) miles per hour, or less than six (6) miles per hour over the posted speed limit in all other instances and zones, except violations for exceeding the speed limit in a school zone, or construction zone, and violations received while operating a commercial motor vehicle as defined by W.S. 31-7-102(a)(viii), shall not be made a part of the abstracts or records kept by the department of transportation pursuant to W.S. 31-5-1214 or 31-7-120."

In other words, if you're doing 80 or less in a 65 (and almost all of their 2-lane highways are 65), you pay a fine but it is NOT considered a moving violation and your insurance will NOT find out about it and it won't count as points on your record. I've unfortunately tested it out and it works. So if you ever get stopped in Wyoming, be VERY nice to the cop if you were over 80, admit you were speeding, and see if he'll write you for 80 or less. You then send in your money and you're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.