Worst State for PoPo and tickets?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was gonna say something smartassed, but there's too many new guys and over-sensitive types that will go overboard and get their feelers hurt.
Tomorrow, I think I'm gonna write a book of tickets...Just for the Hell of it!
Oh come on HotRodZilla, We could use a little smartassed LEO perspective on the subject.
smile.png

I was gonna say something smartassed, but there's too many new guys and over-sensitive types that will go overboard and get their feelers hurt.
Tomorrow, I think I'm gonna write a book of tickets...Just for the Hell of it!
I think it's time that you desensitize those overly sensitive types.

Just like pulling off a Band-Aid...doing it quickly and getting it done is better that years of misery with yer feelings hurt.

They must be making him attend too many sensitivity courses.
Aw Hell...IF you only knew. I have been sensatized like a mo-fo. I am currently undergoing a "sensativity lesson." Problem is, I am way more sensative than I was a few years ago, but it's just not working. Somehow, I can't see myself getting hurt or killed because some desk dork thinks I need to say "please" with more svelt in my voice. Guess I'm doomed.

I hadn't had a ticket for over 15 years until I got teh FJR back in September. Then I got lucky.
punk.gif
Got pulled for 60 in a 35, but written up for 44 in a 35. Didn't argue, as I know I was going much faster than 60 for a little while (it's a long straightaway heading out of town). Picked up the flashing lights wayyyy behind me and pulled over long before he got to me. I knew I was speeding, he knew I was speeding, and I think he just guessed at the speed. But my approach has always been to just suck it up and realize I've gotten away with far more times than I've gotten caught. And if it ever does seem like a situation I may want to go to court over, the rule is "Don't stand out from any other ticket he's written that day.".

The funny thing was that my son got a ticket in the same place by the same cop a few hours later on his way to baseball practice. Also 44/35. Had a hard time lecturing him over that one.

Reactions: LCB
I hadn't had a ticket for over 15 years until I got teh FJR back in September. Then I got lucky.
punk.gif
Got pulled for 60 in a 35, but written up for 44 in a 35. Didn't argue, as I know I was going much faster than 60 for a little while (it's a long straightaway heading out of town). Picked up the flashing lights wayyyy behind me and pulled over long before he got to me. I knew I was speeding, he knew I was speeding, and I think he just guessed at the speed. But my approach has always been to just suck it up and realize I've gotten away with far more times than I've gotten caught. And if it ever does seem like a situation I may want to go to court over, the rule is "Don't stand out from any other ticket he's written that day.".
The funny thing was that my son got a ticket in the same place by the same cop a few hours later on his way to baseball practice. Also 44/35. Had a hard time lecturing him over that one.
I'll stay away from Six Mile for awhile... :D

To those who state that VA is the worst because of illegal radar detectors... perhaps you should use the 2 legal resources that you have... one being your eyes... & the 2nd... your brain. I speed every damned day... not just once a day. SEVERAL times a day. The thing is you need to use self control, be careful with your right wrist twisting & speed respectfully.

The things we overlook when we're gigged for doing what we shouldn't. Sheesh folks!

Last edited by a moderator:
When it's completely legal to use in every other state in the country (discounting Washington DC, which is kind of an extension of VA) it is hard to see why it would be "something we shouldn't be doing" there.

To those who state that VA is the worst because of illegal radar detectors... perhaps you should use the 2 legal resources that you have... one being your eyes... & the 2nd... your brain. I speed every damned day... not just once a day. SEVERAL times a day. The thing is you need to use self control, be careful with your right wrist twisting & speed respectfully.
The things we overlook when we're gigged for doing what we shouldn't. Sheesh folks!
Not saying we don't like VA, just the cops and their strict standards or behavior patterns.

Fred is spot on, I had just passed over the I95 bridge into VA. It's a small sign (going South) on that road and I didn't see it until retracing back. Since it's unique to that State, it makes it more difficult to my old memory, it is their law and I will (try) to abide by it. This doesn't make peace with cops being arrogant or just touchy/snippy. 'nuff said!

When it's completely legal to use in every other state in the country (discounting Washington DC, which is kind of an extension of VA) it is hard to see why it would be "something we shouldn't be doing" there.
Now it is legal to possess/smoke Marijuana in Colorado. So does that mean it should be legal here also? IF someone does not agree with the law, its simple to avoid problems: Don't go there. Used to be states had differing seatbelt laws. NM has/had great big signs at the borders that said, "Bucke Up. It's the law." We'd stop cars all the time and hear, "Well in Montana, I don't have to wear my seat belt." Well, look around...THIS is NOT Montana. Here's your sign, press hard, there are four copies. Just like Oregon has 55mph limits on their freeways. The rest of the country is 65-80. I guarantee if I get stopped in OR and say, well, the speed limits are 75 in NM, CA, NV, and UT...the cop will write me a ticket for being an asshole.

Trying to get away with something and getting caught does not make us assholes. I've said it before...Follow the law. If you choose not to, that's fine with me too, but don't be surprised if/when you get cited for it. That's the risk we all take if we decide we are going to speed, drink&drive, not wear a seatbelt, whatever.

Now it is legal to possess/smoke Marijuana in Colorado. So does that mean it should be legal here also? IF someone does not agree with the law, its simple to avoid problems: Don't go there. Used to be states had differing seatbelt laws. NM has/had great big signs at the borders that said, "Bucke Up. It's the law." We'd stop cars all the time and hear, "Well in Montana, I don't have to wear my seat belt." Well, look around...THIS is NOT Montana. Here's your sign, press hard, there are four copies. Just like Oregon has 55mph limits on their freeways. The rest of the country is 65-80. I guarantee if I get stopped in OR and say, well, the speed limits are 75 in NM, CA, NV, and UT...the cop will write me a ticket for being an asshole.

Trying to get away with something and getting caught does not make us assholes. I've said it before...Follow the law. If you choose not to, that's fine with me too, but don't be surprised if/when you get cited for it. That's the risk we all take if we decide we are going to speed, drink&drive, not wear a seatbelt, whatever.
Let's put this in a more perspective situation.

Lets' say Pot was legal in 49 States, and it's been now for over 20 years, no biggie. Now you just happened to travel into the [one] State that it wasn't, and you forgot that you had a joint left in your glovebox. I would say pretty common deal here folks, since it's legal in the 49 other States let's give this guy a little slack. Not saying you "have" to let him go, but you don't stand there and scold them for doing something so crazy and obscure as to bring a joint over the State line. It would truly not be such an uncommon thing, hey, we're not all perfect.

Same thing as bringing in and using a detector in VA. It's not such an offense to get all excited about like the Trooper did. Sorry AJ, Im on Fred's side ....AND!...Maybe that Trooper needs to smoke a joint!

'nuff said

Oh damn. KJ just said what I would have said.
uhoh.gif
I think I need one of those Denver smokes right now.

Yeah, it's more about societal consensus. Legalizing pot isn't even close to that level of universal acceptance yet, but I expect that it probably will given more time. Then that scenario is quite likely to occur in those straggler states that are last to legalize, unless the Feds step in somehow.

And, so as not to just pick on Virginia, consider what occurs in most of the country now with highway speed limits. Much of the country has a maximum speed limit of 65 mph on limited access highways that are built to standards that would allow much higher speeds, and the traffic on those roads averages 75 or 80 mph. When the majority are breaking the law, that means that the law is wrong.

When a majority of the people knowingly and intentionally break some bad laws that erodes the public perception of all laws and, more to the point, of their enforcement. This is a big part of why the PoPo get a bad rap. They are charged with selectively enforcing a routinely disobeyed law.

The typical retort to the unpopular speed limit situation is that if we set the speed limit to 75 drivers would all just go 85 or 90. Not if it was strictly enforced they wouldn't. I mean, wouldn't it be more sensible to set a reasonable speed limit and then enforce it to the letter? The idea that they will (may?) give you a 10-15 mph leeway, or knowing that you probably won't get nabbed because everyone on the road is running that much over the limit is a big problem, IMO.

Would there still be some that break the speed limit? Absolutely, but the point is that the average person would not and that would go a long way towards speed limits having social acceptance.

Let's put this in a more perspective situation.

Lets' say Pot was legal in 49 States, and it's been now for over 20 years, no biggie. Now you just happened to travel into the [one] State that it wasn't, and you forgot that you had a joint left in your glovebox. I would say pretty common deal here folks, since it's legal in the 49 other States let's give this guy a little slack. Not saying you "have" to let him go, but you don't stand there and scold them for doing something so crazy and obscure as to bring a joint over the State line. It would truly not be such an uncommon thing, hey, we're not all perfect.

Same thing as bringing in and using a detector in VA. It's not such an offense to get all excited about like the Trooper did. Sorry AJ, Im on Fred's side ....AND!...Maybe that Trooper needs to smoke a joint!

'nuff said
I have to agree to 'zilla on this one. I have no objection to civil disobedience if you believe a law is unjust, but you have to be willing to accept the penalty. And, ignorance of the law is no excuse. The validity of exceptions and other excuses are determined by the judge if you choose to take it to him.

Pulled over 3 times over 13 years of driving. Never gotten a ticket. I hope my luck holds out.

Aww Greg, you been dwink'n way too much of that Catskills Copper-Pot Mountaineer Shine Juice!
smile.png

..I know, ya gotta keep warm somehow or another.

There are 50 states, they each have their own laws. They have that right.

I sure as heck don't want to abolish that and make us all one big state. <fook that>

If I break a law of speeding or whatever, even if the trooper is a dick, or not. I still gotta pay the fine. That's the chance I took by breaking a local law.

You ride how you want and pay the consequences...

...wadda bunch a whiners on this board.

When/If I get nabbed for a speeding ticket I certainly don't complain that I got caught. I know it is illegal and I willingly break that law with abandon. If I didn't I wouldn't need or want a radar detector. Avoidance of speeding tickets is always a concern for the majority of motorcyclists of (almost) any brand and model.

I also do not see the sense to having laws that the vast majority of the governed refuse to obey. I can't go any further without this becoming "political" so I'll just leave it at that.

And that ain't whining.
wink.png

Status
Not open for further replies.