Worst State for PoPo and tickets?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Peoria, IL. 2005 I was pulled over in a Construction zone and ticketed for 66 in a 45. I was going from Indy to Northern CA. (I didnt get very far) The worst part was, I couldnt just pay a fine. I was forced to go back to that shit hole for court! When I got to court the place was FILLED with people who were ALL caught speeding in the same construction zone. We were told to seperate into 2 groups- everyone going 65mph or less to the left side of the courthouse and everyone going 66+ to the right side. I already knew this wasnt going to be good. Long story short - I donated $542 to the policemans ball.

Shortly after this happened this "speed trap" made national news. I guess alot of people made FORMAL complaints about it.

I been shakin my head for the last two pages, thats 15mins I'll never see again. It does appear the consensus of all this is If your an A**hole you'll get you some tickets along the way. Show a little respect and you'll get by more often than not. At least thats been my experience
You do not have to be an asshole to get some tickets along the way. Yes, assholes will score more awards, but Joe Regular will get his share too.
No shit. I have been respectful and still got a ticket every time I've been pulled over, one exception and he was a Sheriff-the better guys.

Even got a ticket in the cage on my wedding night (should have been an omen as that marriage didn't last) back in Minnesota-really pissed me off with his "I wouldn't want to find you and your pretty young bride in the ditch" lecture.

You guys getting out of tickets wearing knee pads?
No begging necessary, just go with the flow. I was stopped on historic 49 just south of Angles Camp and there was this ridiculous speed limit of 35 mph. It was posted about 50 yards off the road. The CHP was real cool...hot day, I'm in full gear and we have the conversation isn't that hot? LOL. Good guy.

I was riding to a Death Valley gathering a couple years ago with madmike2, Bluestreaks, and some other locals. It was below freezing and were were getting hammered with wind out of the west passing Mammoth Lakes. I'm leading the group when I suddenly get lit-up. I pull over and everyone else splits for the next county. I got to talk about motorcycles for a half hour with local Johnny Law. He seemed to think we were doing 80. I said no way, we were in the right lane behind traffic and ducking behind our windscreens. Anyway, no ticket and I had to double-time to catch the others in Bishop.

California is a great place to ride. I only got one ticket for making a right turn in Folsom where they had a traffic calming sign not allowing that when the Dam road was closed. Bummer. Failure to obey a control sign. Paid my fine and did online traffic school. I did get a fix-it ticket for loud pipes with my previous cruiser.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the inverse, UTAH has put I-15 to 80MPH through the majority of the state. Assuming you have a Superior Gen I or II cruise control (
rolleyes.gif
), just "set it and forget it" at 90+. From St. George UT to Butte, MT, I would have to say that I-15 is the closest thing in America to an autobahn. Slow down for towns and cities (few and far between) and you've got over 700 miles of stress free mile eating where you can "go your own pace..."
Here's the continental divide at the Idaho/Montana border during rush hour:

DSC02679.jpg
Just awesome picture. I'll be riding that way in May and hopefully can experience it for myself...

Peoria, IL. 2005 I was pulled over in a Construction zone and ticketed for 66 in a 45. I was going from Indy to Northern CA. (I didnt get very far) The worst part was, I couldnt just pay a fine. I was forced to go back to that shit hole for court! When I got to court the place was FILLED with people who were ALL caught speeding in the same construction zone. We were told to seperate into 2 groups- everyone going 65mph or less to the left side of the courthouse and everyone going 66+ to the right side. I already knew this wasnt going to be good. Long story short - I donated $542 to the policemans ball. Shortly after this happened this "speed trap" made national news. I guess alot of people made FORMAL complaints about it.
Yeah, I can't believe those bastards would write tickets for 20 over in a CONSTRUCTION zone. It's common knowledge that all construction workers sign a waiver that they don't care if they get run over or killed. It's not like they have families or anything.

THAT people is NOT a speed trap. Speed traps used to consist of a posted speed limit and then Marshal Milton putting up a temporary sign 15 or more below the posted limit, for the sole purpose of writing tickets. Your inability to read a sign does not a speed trap make. Who gives a shit if people complained. However, if you want to insist that's ok, let's discuss where your kids go to school. I'll take some time and do 20 over through their school zone, er I mean speed trap.

I been shakin my head for the last two pages, thats 15mins I'll never see again. It does appear the consensus of all this is If your an A**hole you'll get you some tickets along the way. Show a little respect and you'll get by more often than not. At least thats been my experience
As a LEO, I can't agree more. Of course, there are some variables to that.

And sometimes you just deserve a ticket (eg. 20 over in a construction zone), so bend over and take it with a smile.
blink.png

Only time I've been awarded an endorsement was on a holiday long weekend. (I forgot it was a holiday, and got nailed for 110 in a 100)

Otherwise, 10 or even 15 over on the open road doesn't seem a concern around here.

In the lower mainland -- or pretty much west of Hope, it's a different story, as portrayed in that video.

Everyone should fight their tickets.

If everyone did, it would tie up the courts and they would be dismissing tickets left and right, there wouldn't be enough time to handle all the cases.

Here in California you can file for a "Trial By Declaration"

That means you fill out a form and write a report on why you are not guilty.

The officer who wrote you up then has to respond to your report and write his own report of the incident.

A lot of times the officer doesn't respond because they hate doing paperwork and the ticket is dismissed.

Even if you lose the TBD you can still request a court date for another chance at getting off.

Can you imagine if everyone filed a TBD how much time it would take the officer to respond to all of them?

For one it would cause them to write LESS tickets because they HATE to write reports........for another the officer would spend most of his shift writing responses to the TBD's and they would have to dismiss tickets. There wouldn't be enough time to respond.

If it did reach that point though I'm sure the law would be changed and they probably would do away with the Trial By Declaration option.

Peoria, IL. 2005 I was pulled over in a Construction zone and ticketed for 66 in a 45. I was going from Indy to Northern CA. (I didnt get very far) The worst part was, I couldnt just pay a fine. I was forced to go back to that shit hole for court! When I got to court the place was FILLED with people who were ALL caught speeding in the same construction zone. We were told to seperate into 2 groups- everyone going 65mph or less to the left side of the courthouse and everyone going 66+ to the right side. I already knew this wasnt going to be good. Long story short - I donated $542 to the policemans ball. Shortly after this happened this "speed trap" made national news. I guess alot of people made FORMAL complaints about it.
Was that the Construction that had the lane reduction to the left lane, were you the person in the red pickup that passed me to the left on the shoulder
no.gif
?

"Arcane and Repulsive?" Haha...You have the political Mumbo-Jumbo bullshit down. Now all you gotta do is sell it. If you use those words enough, someone will listen and follow your cause.
Arcane: Understood by few. As in; "Why would just one state still have a law that all the other states who have tried it have over-ridden? That is hard to understand."

Repulsive: tending to keep away or at a distance. "I won't go through Virginia on my motorcycle because they have that radar detector law" (that wasn't me, but I have actually heard this sentiment)

"Average" drivers don't get cited very often, ...
Perhaps not very often, but they do get cited. Why? Shouldn't the average driver be not breaking the law?

... and I know it is hard to believe, but cops are people too. We have families, worries, and mothers, just like everyone else. Some of us like writing tickets and some don't. Some follow very close to the letter of the law and some won't. I will either give an ass-chewing or a ticket. I will NOT do both, some will. I like writing tickets, and every one I write is deserved...Sort of like every one I have received.
I've never said anything to the contrary. I've some good friends over the years who worked in law enforcement. It's a tough job, one that I would not care to do, but I don't think poorly of police in general. As I have said in the past, just like the rest of the general population there are bound to be good ones and bad ones.

Your idea Fred that higher speed limits will get people more in line with the written law has been disproven over and over again. It is true that if the limit is 75, people will go 80, 85 and 90, consisently. Here's an example: I used to be a detective, and as such had unmarked cars: Awhite CrownVic that looked like a cop car. A brown Impala and a maroon Impala that did not. My coolest one was a blue Ford Explorer with tinted windows and a great light package.
With the Impalas I wouldn't write tickets until 90+. Wrote probably 15 a week. With the Explorer, I wouldn't write until over 100mph. I consistently wrote 10 per week in the posted 65 and 75 mph zones. People will do anything to try to circumvent the rules, just like high school. Don't let age fool you.
I agree. Just raising the speed limit would result in average people continuing to break the higher speed limit. You missed my second, more important, point about enforcing the higher speed limits to the letter. If the speed limit was chosen appropriately and with good cause (and the construction zone situation is a perfect example) then why not consistently pull people over for going 1 mph over the limit? If that became the expected norm, average people would quit speeding.

Actually this could be done at the current speed limits, without raising them, too. The problem is that average people have become conditioned to it being an OK thing to break the rules just a little, and they translate that into it being OK to break a lot of other rules based on their own judgement of those rules.

Now, I don't seriously think the speed limits and their enforcement is the root cause of this societal situation of rule bending, just a glaring indication of the problem.

That very thing was alluded to in a previous post. Unrealistic speed limits results in no real compliance.

My brother the LEO was in CT when they started parking a hi-viz police car in the most conspicuous place they could find and discovered that they could get better traffic rule compliance in roughly a 10 mile area. Much more effective for public safety than punishing one car at a time from a hidden speed monitoring location.

I'm trying to recall the last time I drove/rode anyplace where I noticed that the speed limit was so high that I had to work to keep my speed up ;)

Repulsive: tending to keep away or at a distance. "I won't go through Virginia on my motorcycle because they have that radar detector law" (that wasn't me, but I have actually heard this sentiment)
I do avoid riding in Virginia when it is reasonable to do so. By reasonable, I mean that it would not take me far out of my way, or take me off of a very nice route where there is only a short section in Virginia.

When I do ride in Virginia I normally unplug my RD and put it in my pocket, out of sight. However, last time I crossed Virginia pretty much all the way through from north to south, I left the RD on and active and never got hit with radar. I think the detector detectors are few and far between. You are more likely to get caught with an illegal detector by visual detection. Police are usually very observant. Keep it in a less obvious place.

Everyone should fight their tickets.
If everyone did, it would tie up the courts and they would be dismissing tickets left and right, there wouldn't be enough time to handle all the cases.

Here in California you can file for a "Trial By Declaration"

That means you fill out a form and write a report on why you are not guilty.

The officer who wrote you up then has to respond to your report and write his own report of the incident.

A lot of times the officer doesn't respond because they hate doing paperwork and the ticket is dismissed.

Even if you lose the TBD you can still request a court date for another chance at getting off.

Can you imagine if everyone filed a TBD how much time it would take the officer to respond to all of them?

For one it would cause them to write LESS tickets because they HATE to write reports........for another the officer would spend most of his shift writing responses to the TBD's and they would have to dismiss tickets. There wouldn't be enough time to respond.

If it did reach that point though I'm sure the law would be changed and they probably would do away with the Trial By Declaration option.
I love TBDs. I get to sit in the office, in a nice comfortable chair and write. I'm left alone and can do my thing. I also don't have to go out into the field to listen to all the whining and bitching from the citizens I have to deal with, or any number of ridiculous radio calls. Just for the record, TBDs are considered subpoenas and officers cannot just disregard them. Lastly, I have yet to lose on one of those in 25 years, and that includes the ones that were found guilty and still go to trial.

That should be required viewing for all city, state, and federal workers setting speed limits.

it was very well done, makes it's point, and was funny as hell.

It was so well done I actually viewed the whole 15 minutes.

I just may watch it again for entertainment value.
biggrin.png

Worst state for Popo is the one you get pulled over in. You just need to stay vigilant, not speed in obviously stupid areas like school/residential/work zones and take appropriate precautions so as not to be perceived as a hooligan if pulled over. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/125576-detector-in-glove-box/?p=704253 I'm not going to state when the last ticket I received was due to the "jinx factor", but suffice to say, it's been quite awhile. It's all about personal responsibility... you play, you pay,...just don't whine when you pay.

I love it when people take their tickets to court. I get two hours of guaranteed OT and I'm usually out of there in 15 minutes. In 17 years I have not lost a traffic case yet, and I've written thousands of cites. Some of the internet learned tricks people try to pull are very entertaining. I guess people think judges and cops don't use computers much...They would be wrong.

I love it when people take their tickets to court. I get two hours of guaranteed OT and I'm usually out of there in 15 minutes. In 17 years I have not lost a traffic case yet, and I've written thousands of cites. Some of the internet learned tricks people try to pull are very entertaining. I guess people think judges and cops don't use computers much...They would be wrong.
Most states do that. Fortunately in Washington it's not OT and cop won't usually come unless you subpoena them. It's your word against the written report.

I'm 5 for 5 on contesting them..including one assist for Warchild.
wink.png

Most of the internet tricks are crap, but the internet is a good thing to look up the rules for the court and making the process work for 'ya. Being denied due process because discovery wasn't satisfied (2) it is legal in some cases to exceed the speed limit (1), noting differences in the ticket given me vs. turned in (1), and tuning forks not matching on documents (1) have made me a lucky boy...that does his homework.

And a larger comment on this thread...as always it varies by state and jurisdiction. No hard and fast rules on worst state or jurisdiction for tickets or PoPo.

Status
Not open for further replies.