Would you buy a Heated Seat? Why or Why not?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacofdfireman

Reaction score
I am going to be getting a seat from BMS in the next week or two and noticed that he is now offering a Heat option. I am wondering if it would be worth it or not? I plan on using my bike as a commuter hopefully year round here in California and where I live in Tehachapi I know that in the winter 30 degree days will be the norm. I plan on using heated gear so I am wondering if it's gonna be overkill to have a heated seat also. Would you do it? If so what are the pro's and con's?

I am going to be getting a seat from BMS in the next week or two and noticed that he is now offering a Heat option. I am wondering if it would be worth it or not? I plan on using my bike as a commuter hopefully year round here in California and where I live in Tehachapi I know that in the winter 30 degree days will be the norm. I plan on using heated gear so I am wondering if it's gonna be overkill to have a heated seat also. Would you do it? If so what are the pro's and con's?
I'd spend the power on something other than a heated seat. Layer up and you'll be warmer. Easier to keep heat in than try and transfer it thru a seat , then your clothing, IMO.

I'd agree with Barb. I have a heated Corbin seat and I'm not sure if I can feel the heat coming through or not. I've ridden on days where it's barely above 30 degrees and I really can't feel any heat coming up from the seat. I think I stay warm because I've got some good cold weather gear on. I'd say buy a good pair of long underwear, it's a lot cheaper.

i have not found a need for heated seats on a bike in California. it does not really get that cold for one and like most i have winter gear and summer gear, you can buy a lot of gear and warm clothes for the price of heated gear. besides its only cold in CA what? 3-5 months of the year? i would recommend some water proof winter gear and a heavy fleece jacket to use a a liner.

now if you plan to go to snowy areas... then heated gear is the way to go.

I have often thought that I could use a heated seat when I commute thru Tehachapi in the mornings, but opted not to get the option on my BMS seat.

For most of the year, seat heat is not an issue. In fact seat cooling would really work for me now!

Heated grips, your cowling flaps extended and layered ATGATT will keep you warm enough until you reach the AV.

My twopence.

PS - Although, I do have heated Recaro seats in my car and absolutely love 'em in the winter!

You decide what you want and don't worry about what we think!

Last edited by a moderator:
Spend your money on top quality winter clothing. Your extremities are more important than your arse. I follow the code of mountain climbers: focus on keeping your feet, ankles, hands, face & ears & neck warm since people usually dress with no brain energy required to keep the rest of the body warm.

I am glad I posted this because I was trying to convince myself that I needed the heated seat. Now I know I really don't need it. When I rode the BMW down at the Long Beach Motorcycle show it had heated seats. I thought that was very cool. But I only had on pants so I could feel the heat. The comments about if you are properly dressed hit the nail on the head, I probably wouldn't even feel it and it would be a waste of money.... Love this forum....

My .02 cents,

Get the heated grips and a nice heated jacket liner (I like my Powerlet).. Heated seat isn't really needed with that type of setup.

WW

I've got a heated liner and gloves. I spent the money on heated gloves instead of grip warmers. I figured the gloves move from bike to bike easier.

I ride year round in VA and have happily ridden in 20 degree weather. I have never felt the need for a heated seat as my alternate brain recepticle has never felt cold. HOWEVER, I think if you were to ride for a significant length of time, say 1.5 hours or more, you would benefit from a heated seat. I'm not sure where your ass rates in the priority listing of what body parts the brain will send blood to to keep warm, I suspect it's not all that high, but any heat that your body doesn't have to generate will help keep you warm - or at least alive - overall.

I've found that even with "quality winter clothing" which I have, I will eventually get a "chill" and once you get that it's downhill from there.

So, like all expensive additions it's a matter of cost vs benefit. Not worth it to me.

My last Goldwing had a Corbin heated seat It was one of the best things I added to the bike. I rode to work all winter if snow was not on ground in confort I had heated grips also and jacket liner.

Heated seats are great! The down side is the pull on the alternator.IMHO you need to have a Goldwing or BMW that has the juice capable of powering it then they are not worth the cost or the strain on the electrical system.Money is better spent on other warming items like powerlets,warming vests,body mods to divert wind or heated hand grips. Check out this site www.techniche-international.com.Battery powered warming gear!

It depends on how far you've got to ride, how good your blood circulation is, and how cold natured you are.

Whether the alternator is up to running a bunch of heated clothing and a heated seat is another issue that's important too.

Most of my riding is in areas where the winter temps rarely drop below freezing while the summer temp typically include a month of 100°+ days. Heating the seat is the least of my worries.

I had a heated Rick Mayer saddle on my BMW R1200RT and I did not use it much. It took awhile to get the heat into my rear end but on the days where it was cold and or raining it sure was nice to have it! I'd say that I would purchase a heated seat again. Just don't expect it to put ya on the boiler like a nice benz or Acura heated seat.

[Odot] My wife's cousin sat on my heated seat (non FJR) and after a few minutes she offered, "I feel like I just peed my pants." [/Odot]

With good gear and heated grips I ride even when the temps are in the teens (and I still enjoy the ride).

I use a heated seat on my feej - I instaled one of aerostich's bun-warmers into my stock 06 saddle.

In conjunction with my darien heated liner and heated grips - I love it! But I'm riding all year round in BC where it can get rather chilly in the winter time.

With reference to the draw / amps - I switch it on for about 4 minutes and by that time it's cetainly toasting my buns - in fact it gets so warm, I have to switch it off. So it eats some current - but I can't have it on constantly (because it's so warm) so I don't worry about straining the capacity of the electrical system.

If you're riding in the cold (near freezing temps) I'd say it's a really useful farkle.

I was involved in the Bill Mayer group buy a few months back. I had him put the heating pad in the seat, I figured since the cover is being replaced now is the time to have it done. I'm glad I did, I commute every morning and usually wear my work pants while riding. After a few minutes I feel the warmth percolate up through my seat. No I don't need it, it's only 58 degrees out and I'm dressed right. Its a 25 minute ride, but at 5:15 in the morning it sure feels nice.

Is it worth it? To me - YES! This is my chosen ride, after years making do with what I had, and now that the family is grown and I have some disposable income, I am gonna make this my bike. Thats why we farkle these things.

If your gonna do it, here is a "hot" set up...

Get the cheaper unit, don't get a switch built in the seat. Just have him drill a hole thru the seat pan and feed the wire through. Add a Heat Troller to control the thing. Use the one built for heated hand grips, it runs off a 7.5 amp fuse. Install the switch somewhere on your dash panel and hook up the seat with a GM WeatherPak connector. A really low setting with the 'Troller gives good warmth, and according to my Datel its quite easy on the battery.

This is a good "passive" system - you don't have to dress any differently, or wish you did when it gets chilly. As always - Your Mileage May Vary.

Brodie