WTF??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pr1

Reaction score
So I call the Dealer in Corpus Christi to get a 4k service and tire change done.... I bought the tires online,,, guess what they told me-- "We don't install tires that weren't purchased here, its a liability thing". Anyone ever heard of that?? Thats a first for me.... But thats the price one pays for living in the middle of nowhere I guess...... <_<

Yep. It's probably smoke about the liability thing too.

Heard of that as well as dealers charging a premium for tires not purchased from them.

My solution has been pretty simple. Go to another dealer and tell others about the first dealer's practice. It added 100 miles to my round trip, but besides that new dealer, FJRGoodies.com, installing tires I bought off the Internet and being a great dealer.....they'll match prices in the future.

I've got no problem supporting local businesses to a certain price level (say within 10 or 15%), but when the stealers try and add 50%+ to the price I say no way.

...and don't be bashful. Feel free to share your dealer's name here......

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep.  It's probably smoke about the liability thing too.
Heard of that as well as dealers charging a premium for tires not purchased from them.

My solution has been pretty simple.  Go to another dealer and tell others about the first dealer's practice.  It added 100 miles to my round trip, but besides that new dealer, FJRGoodies.com, installing tires I bought off the Internet and being a great dealer.....they'll match prices in the future.

I've got no problem supporting local businesses to a certain price level (say within 10 or 15%), but when the stealers try and add 50%+ to the price I say no way.

...and don't be bashful.  Feel free to share your dealer's name here......
I can't say I blame them for the practice. It's only gonna get worse, too. In my industry, there is a sudden proliferation of on-line sources, especially in the plumbing and electrical trades. Here's what happens:

Joe Schmoe wants his kitchen remodeled, does his due diligence and shops three local kitchen remodelers and starts learning about all shorts of good stuff which piques his curiosity. So, Joe being ever the frugal and smart buyer, jumps on-line and starts researching kitchen faucets. Well after 20 or so seconds up pops the info on the very same faucet one of the kitchen designers was recommending and was including in her budget for Joe's project.

So Joe's kitchen designer presents the project and the budget and asks for Joe's check to get the project going, but Joe has and objection; "Ya know Jane, you're quoting me 25% more for that Grohe faucet than what I found on the internet on www.wehaveeveryfuckingfaucetintheworld.com/attwentyfivepercentlessthanyourdealer/alldaylong.html and I'm not going to order it from you."

Well, not wanting to risk the balance of the sale, Jane nixes the faucet from the order and gives Joe the exact model number and order code for the faucet so that it will fit the custom copper sink he wants. They ink the deal and Jane goes about her business of putting Joe's kitchen into production. Joe goes home and turns on ESPN2's Top Ten show because he gets a chubby drooling over the show's host, eats a TV dinner, downs a couple of beers and falls asleep with a bag of Cheeto's in his arm...

Fast forward six weeks and Joe gets a call from Jane, his kitchen designer. She's giving him and update on his project's production and reminds him that the job is to begin in two weeks and has the faucet arrived yet? Yikers!!!!! Joe got stewed on Cheeto's and forgot to order the faucet! So he pops on-line and places his order. Uh, oh... His email confirmation says that model is on backorder and will not ship for four weeks! So he calls the vendor and talks to a service rep who offers the same faucet of a slightly different configuration not aware that only the back ordered model will fit the custom sink.

Well, the day of the remodeling comes and goes and everything is going just ducky until the plumber calls Jane one day and says there's a problem with the faucet. It's not the right model and won't fit the sink that has just been permanently installed under a 1,200 lb slab of custom cut, 1-1/2" slab of Uba Tuba granite.

Jane calls Joe to advise him of the problem and Joe goes off. His daughter is to be wed at his home that Saturday, there's to be 200 guests and the kitchen must be done! Jane explains that he ordered the wrong item and or the vendor shipped him the wrong part and advises him that the plumber will have to charge another trip fee to install the proper faucet when it does arrive. Joe goes stratospheric and demands that Jane fix the problem or he's going to call his lawyer and sue her for not completing the project in time as she promised.

See, the problem is that a vendor who has to install the item being purchased has no chance of being able to prevent this type of problem and usually takes the brunt of the blame and loses money through no fault of their own when something does go wrong. What if you had taken him the tires you got over the internet and during the mounting procedure, he discovered that you got the wrong sizes, but he only made that discovery after he pulled the old hoops and your group ride to WFO was to depart in an hour and he had no replacements on hand?

How about the fact that he has overhead for a fully staffed showroom, parts and service department, advertising and health plans. Because like any good businessman, he has calculated a certain percentage of his profit coming from sales of labor and products in order to keep the doors open and improve his business. That ain't gonna happen on service alone. Well it can, but as Iggy stated, he's gonna charge a premium for labor only and I can't blame him one bit.

Then you have the issue of warranty. Who takes care of the labor on defective material? In the scenario above, the kitchen designer would because she's formed a service budget for just such cases. I doubt that any dealer would take care of the labor to off and on someone else's defective tires and you can put money down that the tire maker won't cover it either.

So, just because you've saved some bucks buying over the 'net, don't think that in the end you won't wind up paying the same, if not more the local retail market rates...

As John Rushkin once wrote: "There is hardly anything in the world that some cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and those people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

@pr1,

I've heard of Corpus Christi, but don't know if it qualifies as the middle of nowhere. :unsure:

Having read about your quandry, and sharing quite a bit of twowheelnut's conviction, (by the way, that may be the record for a reply from him regarding a FNG question yet, very impressive!) you could always take the self-reliance route and provide your own labor.

If you do your own mounting and balancing, at least you won't have to worry about anyone else's willingness/unwillingness to provide the critical missing ingredient at whatever price is fair/unfair. :bleh:

Good luck,

Shane

TWN, you have a pretty fair number of posts here and I'm sure that some (those who don't know you) would guess that your post quantity is inversely proportional to your post quality. With this post you have put those assumptions to rest...forever.

This guy buys a popular big bike used from a private party. The popular bike has a large 'net presence. He decides, after a while, that the bike needs tires and he orders them from a natl. 'net retailer (as per bike's board reccos -- brand, sizes, and cheapest price/delivery, etc). He goes to his local dealer for that bike and is told -- well, you know what he's told. He calls around -- not much luck (and the 'net site w/advice isn't much help now, either). He finally finds an independent that takes pity on him that agrees to attempt the job at full hourly rate from time in to time out. The guy did find a shop in a big city about 200 miles away -- but, would've had to take a couple days off work and maybe haul the bike. So, to the independent he goes. He's informed that, due to the extremely modified exhuast and the deleted centerstand (and, the extreme size of the bike and all the accessories), the independent doesn't have a safe way to support the bike off the floor. The guy says, "Oh, my bike's internet board has talked about the jack needed and the adapter." So he drives to a big box store to buy the jack (abt 150 mi, round trip) and orders the adapter. When everything is there: bike, tires, jack, & adapter -- the independent starts only to find the bald rear tire isn't the original (it's been changed before, and not done professionally) and the inside, bead area, of the rim is screwed-up from ham-fisted screwdriver attempts. The independent tells the guy the bad news -- he really needs a new rim (considering the power, weight, and speed potential of the bike).

The guy says, "Just do the best you can and call me when it's done."

Needless to say, the bill was "right up there." But, he did, in the end, get what he needed to get done (well, almost).

Moral?, (imho) don't try to this at home -- kids. Take your bike to the absolute best dealer you can find, preferrably a "5-star".

Often, it's the cheap-skate who pays the most.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moral?, (imho) don't try to this at home -- kids. Take your bike to the absolute best dealer you can find, preferrably a "four-star".Often, it's the cheap-skate who pays the most.
Huh? You lost me dude. This is tire changing, not rocket science.

One of the best decisions I ever made was to start changing my own tires. Yup, I save money, and I also do it better than most dealerships.

As to the original post, yeah, my local shop has the same policy. I don't like it, but I can understand it. My moral of the story: Learn to do your own tires. After spending close to $400 for two new tires on my Concours years ago, I decided it was time I learned to do it myself.

Excepting specific circumstances, I find it hard to believe that businesses are turning away customers like that. It's fairly simplistic and childish to believe "if I refuse to fit the item, next time they will come and buy the item from me", and in fact is probably dead wrong.

I would expect to pay a small premium for tyres at the dealer, for the convenience of walk in purchase and fitting for example. I'd also expect the dealer to structure his pricing such that the fitting is included in the price of tyres, so that if I buy his tyres, he fits for free/cheaply, fitting as a purchase item on it's own would be based on it's hourly rate, plus any extra materials used (weights, valves etc.).

Defective materials are quite clearly not the responsiblity of the dealer. Damage caused by previous defective fitting is no different whether I bought the tyres here or not.

If I was the dealer, I would take it as an opportunity to show the quality of my customer service, all the more so when it gets screwed up and I can offer help and advice on getting put right.

Business models need to change with the times. Look at the music industry trying to self destruct as they refuse to change their business models.

I can't say I blame them for the practice. It's only gonna get worse, too. In my industry, there is a sudden proliferation of on-line sources, especially in the plumbing and electrical trades. Here's what happens:
[insert Charlie Brown adult-speak here: Wah wah WAH WAH wah WAH wah wah...]
So... what TWN is saying is don't try to install a faucet on your FJR and get a tire changer and balancer to do your own installations.

The local dealers I have found will charge anywhere from $39 to $50 per tire if you bring in product purchased elsewhere. If you buy the tire from them they charge you list price for the tire (often $50-$70 more than you can get it on the net) and then they will charge you a “low” $15 mount fee. I have said “**** you!” to all of them and bought my own balancer and tire tools.

Changing a tire would be pure profit for the dealer. But they are obviously making too much money to bother with it. If they would at least be competitive I would buy locally. Our wonderful local dealers rarely have the parts in stock and want to charge me full list price in advance for parts that will arrive maybe in a week. Why should I pay them 30% to type the order into a computer? I can do it online (FJRGoodies, Gary McCoy, etc.) and the parts end up at my door quicker!

Until then, they get warranty and emergency on the road work. That’s it.

:aarambo:

One of the best decisions I ever made was to start changing my own tires. Yup, I save money, and I also do it better than most dealerships.
+1

If you are not comfortable performing basic maintenance on your bike then you should either get someone to teach you what you need to know or pay someone to perform the work. Bikes are much more fragile than cars and trucks and mistakes can be very expensive, not to mention the risk of your repair coming apart at the worst possible moment.

That said, If you are competent with hand tools you can perform much of the maintenance on your FJR yourself. It dores save you some money and, in my case, it gives me a sense of security knowing that the job was done correctly and carefully. It is also enjoyable.

And, you get the job done on your schedule, when you need it.

Changing a tire would be pure profit for the dealer.
Do you really believe that statement?
If it's pretty much pure labor, then yes.

Unless it prevents him from doing other jobs, the labor he would have to pay regardless, if the laborer would have been idle. The equipment is all fixed assets, required by the business, and not deminished by the operation.

So yes, basically, performing a tyre change adds no additional costs to the business, so the fee is pure profit.

But of course, if the shop is 100% booked and he would have to pay the laborer overtime, that's different.

Unless he pays his crew by hours billed, he bought the tire changer on credit (or hasn't yet completely amortized the investment), or understand that the space taken up by the equipment is part of his total sq ft rate on his rental space, and then there's consumables (valve stems, lube, shop rag cleaning, etc.).

SkooterG<snip>Posted on Jan 18 2006, 12:46 AMHuh? You lost me dude. This is tire changing, not rocket science.
No, it isn't (neither is checking the valve clearance and putting on your own cam cover gasket so that it doesn't leak). IMO, (similar to aircraft) there's nothing on a motorcycle that isn't critical.
Geezer<snip>Posted on Jan 18 2006, 09:42 AMyou can perform much of the maintenance on your FJR yourself.  It is also enjoyable.
I appreciate you comments -- but, that kind of thinking put the English motorcycle business in the dumper. I'm sure the last thing Yamaha wants is owners/riders working on their own 145HP, 150 MPH motorcycle. Actually, I feel that it's an industry embarrassment that we're even having this discussion. I recommend finding and only patronizing those 5-star dealers and shunning the others. (of course, it's the others who probably can sell the bike cheaper initially) but, that's another thread.....

ZagZyg<snip>Posted on Jan 18 2006, 09:58 AMSo yes, basically, performing a tyre change adds no additional costs to the business, so the fee is pure profit.

But of course, if the shop is 100% booked and he would have to pay the laborer overtime, that's different.
Pure profit....huh? What a wonderful business to be in.....! I'd suggest those with doubts and willing to try it themselves (not recommended, of course) -- start the clock when you begin and stop it when you're completely finished (test ride, clean-up, paperwork, and all) and then multiply that time by your dealer's houry rate (or, even, the amount you'd like to be compensated for that job). To see if he's making any money? (which we wouldn't want him to do on any account....) :( And, that service tech in the back room is far from a laborer -- or should be....!

Pure profit....huh? What a wonderful business to be in.....! I'd suggest those with doubts and willing to try it themselves (not recommended, of course) -- start the clock when you begin and stop it when you're completely finished (test ride, clean-up, paperwork, and all) and then multiply that time by your dealer's houry rate (or, even, the amount you'd like to be compensated for that job). To see if he's making any money? (which we wouldn't want him to do on any account....) :( And, that service tech in the back room is far from a laborer -- or should be....!
I didn't say the business was pure profit, simply that the operation in question could be seen that way.

Pure profit in that the major costs involved are those which would have to be paid regardless, with the proviso that said work can be performed without losing other work.

"Laborer" meant in terms of "the person doing the labor", as per the invoice heading "Labor". I did not mean "laborer" as an "unskilled worker".

Of course it is not pure profit in real terms, I do understand that there are many and significant costs involved in the business as a whole.

Have I done something to get up your nose? :assasin:

Status
Not open for further replies.