• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WynPro Air Induction Cover Plates

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I sent my check and am sitting here waiting so I can do my valve check, the Pairs removal, et al, I have realized that I have spaced on what we are all using to block off the airbox fitting. I believe that fitting is slightly larger than the Pairs plates and, thus, the plug in the unused hose will probably be too small. Any input would be appreciated before I go off and find something I can use that was never intended for the purpose.
Dan

Dan,

I haven't figured it out either, but the airbox vacuum is pretty low. It won't take much to block it off. JUst some sort of generic plug and maybe a little sealant or Duct tape!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that I sent my check and am sitting here waiting so I can do my valve check, the Pairs removal, et al, I have realized that I have spaced on what we are all using to block off the airbox fitting. I believe that fitting is slightly larger than the Pairs plates and, thus, the plug in the unused hose will probably be too small. Any input would be appreciated before I go off and find something I can use that was never intended for the purpose.
Dan
Dan,

Currently mine is wide open, probably not the best situation but I do get a very modest gain in acceleration. I haven't been in a hurry to plug it back up. One of the hoses was conected to the are box before removing.

Options:

1) use existing hose and add aluminum plug to it.

2) use the hose with the plug already in it. (slightly longer )

3) Leave it open and enjoy the added HP.

Currently mine is wide open, probably not the best situation but I do get a very modest gain in acceleration. I haven't been in a hurry to plug it back up.
You should be in a hurry to plug it up. That hole is allowing unfiltered air into your engine.

Dan

Dan,

I haven't figured it out either, but the airbox vacuum is pretty low. It won't take much to block it off. JUst some sort of generic plug and maybe a little sealant or Duct tape!!
Look for a package of Dorman ("Help!" line of products) assorted bypass caps at an auto parts store. One of them fits on the airbox perfectly. There have been problems with using the Dorman caps on the 4 PAIR ports (I experienced them first-hand), but I think that was caused by the more intense heat in that area and the thinner rubber on size of the caps that fit there. The cap that fits on the air box is much thicker and will not be subjected to so much direct heat.

bypass_caps.jpg

octopus_removed.jpg

UP (HA,HA)

That just made me laugh! (you pee)

Yeah your right, i guess i gotta get back under the tank a close her up. It was fun while it lasted. I may look for an air filter instead of the little caps. I went to change the plugs when i had it open and my to sockets wouldn't fit down in them holes. I will check out my mamaha kit to see how that works. I know there is a spark plug wrench in there somewhere. Good Pics!

UP (HA,HA)
That just made me laugh! (you pee)
You must be behind on sleep from making all the PAIR covers this weekend...

Yeah your right, i guess i gotta get back under the tank a close her up. It was fun while it lasted. I may look for an air filter instead of the little caps.
The fun doesn't have to end. You can modify your air box to get more filtered air. There's 2 options:

1. The easy way that has only been proven by butt-dynos to improve performance: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=105719
  2. The insane way that has been proven by a real dyno to improve performance: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=114873

You already have one long hose that is pluged with a Yamaha butt plug. You will see it as soon as you start removing stuff. Just shorten that long hose and move to the air box.
Part #21 & 27.

https://www.funbike.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

I think I'll buy another plug from Yamaha and use 1/2" heater hose. I want to retain the PAIRS intact, in case it has to go back in.

You already have one long hose that is pluged with a Yamaha butt plug. You will see it as soon as you start removing stuff. Just shorten that long hose and move to the air box.
Part #21 & 27.

I think I'll buy another plug from Yamaha and use 1/2" heater hose. I want to retain the PAIRS intact, in case it has to go back in.

If you use the "HELP" Dorman caps the PAIR hoses remain intact for posterity as well... That's probably what I'll do, for the same reason.

Part #21 & 27.

If you use the "HELP" Dorman caps the PAIR hoses remain intact for posterity as well... That's probably what I'll do, for the same reason.
Gunny

Just bought a "HELP" pack at Auto Zone, along with some hose clamps. So, now I'm waiting, tools in hand. BTW, the water tube o-rings, sold by Yamaha, look exactly like the package of Size 13 o-rings I bought in Home Depot for 1/4 the price.

Just finished the PAIRS plates replacement, along with coolant change and valve check. With the head cover on the bench, the plates took about 10 minutes. They fit fine and really clean up the engine compartment. Thanks Dave.

Unfortunately, as I was disassembling the Bike I got a number of unpleasant surprises - leftovers from the Dealer work replacing my ignition switch and fixing my grounding plug. Some parts were way over-torqued, some were not even tightened and some were just missing. I got so wound up looking for problems that I neglected to take enough note of how the throttle cables were routed around the PAIRS and coolant water pipe. This resulted in several iterations of "put it together/take it apart", finally resulting in everything being OK now.

The whole thing took me about seven hours, including several trips to Auto parts stores to buy some of the missing parts and a trip to the Yamaha dealership to secure the parts I couldn't get in the AP store and have a little chat with the Service Manager. To his benefit, he volunteered to send a tech to my house to go over the whole bike to make sure it was OK. None the less, it'll be a long time before I let the Dealer touch my bike again. If they will not let me do the next recall myself, it's just not getting done.

At the present, all is, once again, right with the world.

PS. Add my bike to the list of those with no valves needing adjustment.

Dan

Got my PAIR covers and they are beautifully crafted pieces fit for my bike! THANKS!

...now, I need to set aside the time for the install. Maybe this saturday if it rains.

Got my PAIR covers and they are beautifully crafted pieces fit for my bike! THANKS!
...now, I need to set aside the time for the install. Maybe this saturday if it rains.
+1, Gunny, and hells yeah! :yahoo:

I have been negligent in revealing that Davey made some shit stompin'-good PAIR eliminator covers at a "verrah fine" price. I haven't yet put them on, (due only to my own slovenly ways, and demands of the current spring track season) but they are some snazzy-ass little jewels and will be a most welcome addition.

I'm looking forward to my install also, especially excited about the holeshpot cans that are ariving tpomorrow. :clap:

I am looking forward to my install also. I am a especially looking forward to the new holeshot cans that should be arriving tomorrow. I'm gonna have a big weekend of. add on's. Oh, my weekend is Wednesday and Thursday not yours.

I am looking forward to my install also. I am a especially looking forward to the new holeshot cans that should be arriving tomorrow. I'm gonna have a big weekend of. add on's. Oh, my weekend is Wednesday and Thursday not yours.
Thanks all!

I try my best. Waiting for DC to come pick his up. Watch out for the rain puddles in the driveway. :unsure:

I just finished putting in the PAIR covers. They look great and installed easily enough.

I put all original parts in a box on the shelf just in case.

Thanks Dave. Nice work.

Status
Not open for further replies.