Y.E.S.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In 2005 I bought the YES program for my 2004 Vstar1100 from my local (rural) dealer and paid @ $650 (don't remember the exact amount). Then totalled it last Fall :glare: And Joe would have happily sold me another policy for my FJR at $680 he quoted me when I picked the bike up!

Armed with the info here I went into my dealer and reminded him: that in two years I have bought two motorcycles (the FJR at MSRP :blink: ), $4K+ in parts and labor for the Vstar, sent a buddy to buy a new Honda cruiser from him, sent many people for helmets and stuff to him, etc. etc.

I then asked for a break on the YES program for my '06 FJR, and told him dealer cost was $345 and D&H was selling for $385. All I asked is if he could come somewhere around $400.

He looked up the costs and didn't contest the numbers, just said the best he could do was $550. :angry2:

But wait! He had this company that would sell me a plan for $450 that covered "about the same stuff". They give a credit card to you, and if you break down you use the credit card. :lol:

Well, the attitude that "business is business" goes both ways. I have supported him, and will continue to have much of my maintenance done there (but I'm already doing more than ever before and plan to try more with the info and help on this Forum). But I work hard for my money too, and my ex-wife isn't getting any cheaper!

D&H Y.E.S. will be my XMAS gift to myself this year.

Thank you all for the information I've learned here. It is saving me $165 on this deal alone.

It is depressing to find out your dealer is one greedy, lying SOB.....Just think what must be going on back in the repair dept......Parts being marked up 150%, then charging you 1 hour labor for what took some kid back there 10 minutes to do, who probably fuked up your bike and covered it up with nail polish or grease.

Next time, I too will buy my bike from either D & H cycle or Tony in Texarkana Tx.......I tried, god I've tried to do business locally, but everyone in the big city is just TOO FREAKING GREEDY, not to mention dishonest! Hell no, I don't trust em as far as I could throw em.....any of em.....I've caught em too many lies...

Remember, I'm in Texas....where if you screw enough people without getting caught, Big Business will get you elected GOV!!!

Is it possible that the YES isn't "international", provided by Yamaha-Japan at a set price? If it is offered by Yamaha-USA or Yamaha-Canada as separate entities, then they might have an insurance underwriter and that could skew the numbers/base price. Since it IS a numbers game, it could be that with less Yamahas sold, per capita, th4e base price is higher. I dunno, I'm just thinking "in type".

Dwavey, maybe you Northern riders are just waaaaay harder on your bikes.... :dribble: ...Granny is messing with the "curve... :D

I do believe you're right Mike, the extended service plans are offered by Yamaha-USA and Yamaha-Canada separately. Don't know if either have an insurance underwriter. Yamaha-Canada typically pleads market differences when asked about differences in MSRP on machines and parts, ie., fewer machines/parts to stock/sell but the same or higher infrastructure costs. OK, I'll reluctantly swallow that one but I have some trouble when it comes to the service plan; proportionately less sold should equal proportionally less to service (and pay out for) so shouldn't in and of itself lead to a proportionately higher service plan price. Maybe somebody with more knowledge than I about marketing and service plans could shed more light on the subject...

Is it that we Northern riders are waaaay harder on our bikes? Well, with our metric system we ride them faster and farther :p

Or maybe we get lower quality bikes than our Southern cousins? :glare:

Or maybe we're subsidizing all those snowmobiles that we have up here in the Great White North? :huh: I mean, just about everyone up here has one parked outside their igloo... :lol:

1. Stay away from third party warranties

2. YamaCanada is full of sh*t. IF they had any parts in the country then perhaps they could justify their 'higher' costs.

However EVERY time I have needed something more than a common crush washer it has been backordered and had to come from Japan - they have no inventory costs. Since they bring in shipments regularly, all they do is add the part I need to their next shipment and voila, there it is.

I ordered the tall windshield for my '06. (care to explain why the tall one for the '05 is $169 Canadian and the '06 one is $200 MORE?) Do you think I've seen it yet (it's been almost 4 weeks)?

I hope my bike never needs anything 'important'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just my 2 cents but.... I like a deal as much as the next guy, but I want to keep my local guy in business too.
Then encourage him to be competative. It's one thing to pay a couple more bucks to keep it local. Someone said they paid $400 and that seems reasonable to me. However, local dealers around here pushed their books back and told me, "knock yourself out.", when I tried to talk them down from anything below list; explaining I already had things lined up out of state. They fought so hard to keep their markup that they got nothing from me at all. Smart move.

I work hard for my money (stop laughing TWN) and it's my choice where I spend it. I'm not going to bend over just to keep a local dealer in business when he (and his employees) are dead set against any negotiations at all.

Just my 2 cents but.... I like a deal as much as the next guy, but I want to keep my local guy in business too.
Then encourage him to be competative. It's one thing to pay a couple more bucks to keep it local. Someone said they paid $400 and that seems reasonable to me. However, local dealers around here pushed their books back and told me, "knock yourself out.", when I tried to talk them down from anything below list; explaining I already had things lined up out of state. They fought so hard to keep their markup that they got nothing from me at all. Smart move.

I work hard for my money (stop laughing TWN) and it's my choice where I spend it. I'm not going to bend over just to keep a local dealer in business when he (and his employees) are dead set against any negotiations at all.
+1

See my previous post........

I can see your point. Fortunately the dealer I had to buy the bike from, and didn't buy the YES from, is not my local guy, who did not have the bike I wanted.

I need the local guy because I don't want to travel 100 miles for decent service. I just bought an accessory from him this week rather than ordering it online. I felt I could afford the part, because I made a good deal on a YES from a third dealer.

Also fortunately, while he won't deal on some things, he does all right on others--- example, '06 FZ6 MSRP $6800. His out the door price---$6300.

Best wishes.

B)

Woodstock, it has been reported by Florida riders that this is not the case for them. Something to do with their insurance laws. Any florida riders or agents know for sure. Just like in ca. we can't bring in bikes from outta state until they have 7500 miles on them.
Hmm... ok, someone from FL should comment then. Goofy state laws. :ph34r:

I have no experience with FL state laws (even though I lived in Daytona for a bit). <_<

You can obtain a Y.E.S. quote online directly from YAMAHA.

For Florida, here are the rates:

Here is your quote for your FJR1300AE:

12 Months = 495.00

24 Months = 605.00

36 Months = 682.00

48 Months = 768.00

Click on the link below to purchase one of the extended contracts listed, or call us directly at 866-YES-EXTD (866-937-3983) for purchasing over the phone.

https://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/yes/prot...n.aspx?ls=sport

To complete your purchase, please have your credit card and vehicle identification or serial number available.

Y.E.S. quotes are valid for 30 days. After this period, prices are subject to change without notice.

Comment:

I am told by the Dealer that this is the amount to pay in Florida according to state statue.

Furthermore, If I bought a Y.E.S. program ouside of Florida, it would not be honored in Florida.

SilverStreak

SilverStreak & Baxley SB001 Trailer

fjr_13ooae_copy.jpg

Florida dealers pay the same for YES as everyone else. So if the choice is between making $50 by selling for $400 or not selling, I suspect that many would agree to sell.

As to whether YES is honored in FL when purchased outside? It is Yamaha who covers the payments, not the dealer. However the dealer MIGHT not service you as quickly as he would had you bought from a Florida dealer (if he could even tell) .

Another option is to register your machine outside the state and then transfer it into FL after you hit the requisite number of miles. I've seen where some who have country homes in taxless states have done this sort of thing to save sales taxes.

READ THIS

Let me make this next statement in all caps since taking the time to call Florida's Office of Insurance Regulation. OK here goes:

THERE IS NO LAW, STATUE, IN THE STATE OF FLORIDA PREVENTING A PURCHASE OF THE YES WARRANTY FROM ANY DEALER OUTSIDE THE STATE OF FLORIDA.

I feel better now and don't understand why this rumor was started. The above link to post should explain FL's insurance rules and regs. Must have been started by a FL dealer that put a spin on the actual laws to gain a sale.

READ THIS
Let me make this next statement in all caps since taking the time to call Florida's Office of Insurance Regulation. OK here goes:

THERE IS NO LAW, STATUE, IN THE STATE OF FLORIDA PREVENTING A PURCHASE OF THE YES WARRANTY FROM ANY DEALER OUTSIDE THE STATE OF FLORIDA.

I feel better now and don't understand why this rumor was started. The above link to post should explain FL's insurance rules and regs. Must have been started by a FL dealer that put a spin on the actual laws to gain a sale.
Are you saying with certainty that I can buy a Y.E.S. from D&H in Alabama and my local dealer in Florida will honor my Y.E.S. warranty claims?

SilverStreak

Are you saying with certainty that I can buy a Y.E.S. from D&H in Alabama and my local dealer in Florida will honor my Y.E.S. warranty claims?
SilverStreak
YES on Y.E.S. The only thing that the State of Florida won't do is go to bat for you if Yamaha goes bankrupt and can not warranty the claim. I don't think that will happen in our lifetime. If you have any other reservations on that, call the State of Florida. I listed their number and they are very knowledgable & friendly to talk to. It is my understanding that once listed in Yamaha's system, you go to any dealer in the US and give them your info, they see in their Yamaha system you have the warranty and then they fix your problem. I could be wrong. I have been told that some dealer's will not service your bike unless you bought the bike from them (not to mention any dealers in particular). Some dealers are just down right friendly and want to make a friendship (customer service, relationship = possible future sales) and some dealers are just arrogant butt rotts. Lord, I apologize ...

SilverStreak
YES on Y.E.S. The only thing that the State of Florida won't do is go to bat for you if Yamaha goes bankrupt and can not warranty the claim. I don't think that will happen in our lifetime. If you have any other reservations on that, call the State of Florida. I listed their number and they are very knowledgable & friendly to talk to. It is my understanding that once listed in Yamaha's system, you go to any dealer in the US and give them your info, they see in their Yamaha system you have the warranty and then they fix your problem. I could be wrong. I have been told that some dealer's will not service your bike unless you bought the bike from them (not to mention any dealers in particular). Some dealers are just down right friendly and want to make a friendship (customer service, relationship = possible future sales) and some dealers are just arrogant butt rotts. Lord, I apologize ...
My Florida dealer made it clear that to obtain the Y.E.S. warranty, it must be bought from them. This implies that if I buy a Y.E.S. from an out-of-state dealer, then I should take it to them for service. Their pricing was the same as the Y.E.S. quote from Yamaha corporate (866-YES-EXTD (866-937-3983). I'm happy with the standard 1-year warranty service they have provided so far (replacing a damaged front fender). So I know they are a stand-up dealer.

On the other hand, I can understand their point of view. I am retail dealer in sporting goods. When a customer ask me to warrant a product they bought from someone else, I always tell them to take it back to the dealer they bought it from.

Thanks a lot for the helpful information!

And I appreciate other contributing comment too.

SilverStreak

Seeing that you and your local Yamaha dealer have the same policy about about warranty work, why the interest in if D&H's YES will work if you by from them? :glare:

If all dealers had that policy, I'd be reluctant to buy an extended policy or bother touring very far from my local dealer. If Ford/GM worked that way.... point made.

EOM B)

I tried, god I've tried to do business locally, but everyone in the big city is just TOO FREAKING GREEDY,
Then move out of the "big city."

I live in the Los Angeles area, arguably the most expensive area to live in the United States. While you believe they are "greedy," they are dealing with their own costs. Maintaining a dealership in Los Angeles, for example, is going to be a LOT more money than some rural dealership in the mid-west.

I purchased my AE for $15k OTD and they added the Y.E.S. for $599. Of course I could have shopped and save some money on the Y.E.S. but I was there, it was convenient and I personally think I got a great price on the AE. They way I looked at it was I purchased my AE for bit over MSRP (but OTD) with a 5 year warranty.

I don't mean to flame anyone, but until you've owned your own business don't say dealerships are "greedy" because it's not necessarily that. They have their bottom line on their "costs" and what they would like to charge customers.

So if a dealership will not "honor" the quote from D&H... GET OVER IT. No one is forcing you to do business with your local dealer.

:)

I tried, god I've tried to do business locally, but everyone in the big city is just TOO FREAKING GREEDY,

I live in the Los Angeles area, arguably the most expensive area to live in the United States. While you believe they are "greedy," they are dealing with their own costs. Maintaining a dealership in Los Angeles, for example, is going to be a LOT more money than some rural dealership in the mid-west.

I purchased my AE for $15k OTD and they added the Y.E.S. for $599. Of course I could have shopped and save some money on the Y.E.S. but I was there, it was convenient and I personally think I got a great price on the AE. They way I looked at it was I purchased my AE for bit over MSRP (but OTD) with a 5 year warranty.

I don't mean to flame anyone, but until you've owned your own business don't say dealerships are "greedy" because it's not necessarily that. They have their bottom line on their "costs" and what they would like to charge customers.

So if a dealership will not "honor" the quote from D&H... GET OVER IT. No one is forcing you to do business with your local dealer.

In an urban area your postulation may be true. In my case where my Yamaha dealer is the only one within 90 miles, the lack of competition means he charges nearly whatever he wants. In some transactions I have little or no choice than to pay non-competitive rates. And since the owner of the Yamaha dealership also owns the only Honda and Suzuki franchises within 90 miles, the problem is compounded. So I save a few bucks and let him know that occassionally I use the internet or other sources, to provide the balancing competitive portion of the business model.

The Y.E.S. contract is with Yamaha; dealerships must honor it or you can call Yamaha and have them deal with the dealer. The only time I saw the manager look worried was when I told him last year I called Yammie customer service because an engine bolt for my Vstar1100 hadn't come in three weeks. He relaxed when I told him I hadn't dissed the dealership about it.

And please don't yell :p :D

The Y.E.S. contract is with Yamaha; dealerships must honor it or you can call Yamaha and have them deal with the dealer.
+1 on that

I do agree with you on convienence prices. We buy that way all the time.

;) Respectfully, I don't understand your statement about not honoring the quote from D&H. Did you mean not honoring the YES warranty purchased from D&H? This is really about customer service on a bike covered by the YES warranty regardless of where the warranty was purchased. I would not want to be stranded on the road far from home and/or my local dealer saying to me "sorry, you didn't buy the warranty from me. Go away." Doesn't Yamaha compensate them for the time/parts spent to fix the bike? Like Wal-Mart honoring a flat after purchasing their road hazard warranty, you take your cage to any WM and get the tire fixed with, usually, no problem.

Back in the mid 70's, I attended one of those wierd sales seminars for pianos. One unusual thing that stuck in my mind was that while trying to sell a customer a piano, if the customer wanted a Goodyear tire, you get him a Goodyear tire. :D That's customer service and a lot of people just don't get it. You have to give to receive. Which leads me to my previous statement: "... some dealers are just arrogant butt rotts. Lord, I apologize ..."

Doesn't Yamaha compensate them for the time/parts spent to fix the bike? Like Wal-Mart honoring a flat after purchasing their road hazard warranty, you take your cage to any WM and get the tire fixed with, usually, no problem.
That's what I don't get about these so called extended warranties (and f you think the discussion is heated here where we're just talking about Yamaha's EW, you should check out the EW boards over at Edmunds.com!), Yamaha is going to pay them for doing the warranty work, so wouldn't it be better to encourage the customer to take as long a warranty as possible?

If a four year EW is going to guarantee that a customer is going to take their bike in to the dealer to get the warranty work done (instead of the job being a DIYer because the warranty has expired, where they may not even get to sell the replacement part), meaning that the dealer is going to have a more reliable/predictable customer base (read income), then why wouldn't they want to sell these EWs as inexpensively as possible? I mean, it seems to me that by insisting on this huge mark-up (for something that customers are leery about buying in the first place) and not budging, they might as well be telling customers to not buy it and learn to do the repairs themselves (or take it to one of those cut-rate driveway mechanics) instead of them.

I admit I'm rather clueless when it comes to marketing and managing a motorcycle dealership, so correct me if I'm wrong...If it were my dealership I'd want to do everything I could to get the customer to come back - after the purchase and for many years after that - even if the customer just brings the bike in for a diagnostic and it turns out to not be covered by warranty so they don't want me to do the repair, at least they've come in, I might have made a couple of bucks if the diagnostic was one of those particularly time consuming jobs and the customer knew up-front that for that kind of service there'd have to be some charge, I'd had a chance to further/maintain a good-will relationship with the customer, maybe the customer buys some accessory or gives the sales staff a chance to show off the next potential buy, and maybe goes ahead and authorizes the repair since the bike is already there.

But the way it is now: I'm going to charge you a 100% mark-up for processing the paperwork for something you may never use and I really don't care if you bring the bike back once the factory warranty runs out - I'm not going to lift a finger to encourage you to give me the business instead of doing it yourself for less...it just doesn't make sense to my simple mind.

Or am I out to lunch? :unsure:

I'm talking about "matching" the Y.E.S. quote/price that D&H... not whether one dealership will honor the warranty because it was not purchased from them.