Y.E.S.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
818 - As did my dealer who couldn't match D & H's price. I just didn't include the YES warranty in the deal and will purchase seperately within my 1st year time limit. It's no big deal to them because they know I'll be back to support their business with continuing apparal & parts purchases.

Or am I out to lunch? :unsure:
Unfortunately, the issue might be that warranty work is done under the expert review of Yamaha so there is little opportunity to get creative with charges as opposed to unwarranted service work for trusting customers who have little choice but to believe them about what needs to be done. Its cynical, I know, but dealer service in the motorcycle industry has a pretty scummy reputatoin.

gitterdan, thanks for busting the myth.My local dealer also wanted $300 over D&H price. I don't care what his bottom line is, that's too much for processing paperwork. D&H will get my YES order. caveat emptor!

Doesn't Yamaha compensate them for the time/parts spent to fix the bike? Like Wal-Mart honoring a flat after purchasing their road hazard warranty, you take your cage to any WM and get the tire fixed with, usually, no problem.
That's what I don't get about these so called extended warranties (and f you think the discussion is heated here where we're just talking about Yamaha's EW, you should check out the EW boards over at Edmunds.com!), Yamaha is going to pay them for doing the warranty work, so wouldn't it be better to encourage the customer to take as long a warranty as possible?

If a four year EW is going to guarantee that a customer is going to take their bike in to the dealer to get the warranty work done (instead of the job being a DIYer because the warranty has expired, where they may not even get to sell the replacement part), meaning that the dealer is going to have a more reliable/predictable customer base (read income), then why wouldn't they want to sell these EWs as inexpensively as possible? I mean, it seems to me that by insisting on this huge mark-up (for something that customers are leery about buying in the first place) and not budging, they might as well be telling customers to not buy it and learn to do the repairs themselves (or take it to one of those cut-rate driveway mechanics) instead of them.

I admit I'm rather clueless when it comes to marketing and managing a motorcycle dealership, so correct me if I'm wrong...If it were my dealership I'd want to do everything I could to get the customer to come back - after the purchase and for many years after that - even if the customer just brings the bike in for a diagnostic and it turns out to not be covered by warranty so they don't want me to do the repair, at least they've come in, I might have made a couple of bucks if the diagnostic was one of those particularly time consuming jobs and the customer knew up-front that for that kind of service there'd have to be some charge, I'd had a chance to further/maintain a good-will relationship with the customer, maybe the customer buys some accessory or gives the sales staff a chance to show off the next potential buy, and maybe goes ahead and authorizes the repair since the bike is already there.

But the way it is now: I'm going to charge you a 100% mark-up for processing the paperwork for something you may never use and I really don't care if you bring the bike back once the factory warranty runs out - I'm not going to lift a finger to encourage you to give me the business instead of doing it yourself for less...it just doesn't make sense to my simple mind.

I believe warranty work is billed to Yamaha on a "book rate". While I'm not a dealer, I have had the chance to browse a number of manufacturers warranty books and cannot believe how short the allowable time is for some of the tasks. I have a hard time believing that a dealer makes any money on warranty work...unless they cheat the paperwork and add a bunch of stuff that they really did not do. I have witnessed "doctored" work orders in the past.

The high price paid up front might be the only profit a dealer makes on an EW...that's the dealer's issue with Yamaha...not the consumer.

PTP

gitterdan, thanks for busting the myth.My local dealer also wanted $300 over D&H price. I don't care what his bottom line is, that's too much for processing paperwork. D&H will get my YES order. caveat emptor!
Twas nutn, picky. B) Up for a victory lap on Daytona Beach 1A as soon as I'm back in Fl? Have to hit the "First Turn" (not sure of the name - uh Last Turn?) for a bite to eat, music and a view of the big pond.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely, I'm up for it. Behemoth burgers at the first turn and great grouper also. Hurry up to see the pond before the condo's block it all.

A ride north and around "the loop" offers best views and the only twisty road. PMing my cell number.

Doesn't Yamaha compensate them for the time/parts spent to fix the bike? Like Wal-Mart honoring a flat after purchasing their road hazard warranty, you take your cage to any WM and get the tire fixed with, usually, no problem.
That's what I don't get about these so called extended warranties (and f you think the discussion is heated here where we're just talking about Yamaha's EW, you should check out the EW boards over at Edmunds.com!), Yamaha is going to pay them for doing the warranty work, so wouldn't it be better to encourage the customer to take as long a warranty as possible?

If a four year EW is going to guarantee that a customer is going to take their bike in to the dealer to get the warranty work done (instead of the job being a DIYer because the warranty has expired, where they may not even get to sell the replacement part), meaning that the dealer is going to have a more reliable/predictable customer base (read income), then why wouldn't they want to sell these EWs as inexpensively as possible? I mean, it seems to me that by insisting on this huge mark-up (for something that customers are leery about buying in the first place) and not budging, they might as well be telling customers to not buy it and learn to do the repairs themselves (or take it to one of those cut-rate driveway mechanics) instead of them.

I admit I'm rather clueless when it comes to marketing and managing a motorcycle dealership, so correct me if I'm wrong...If it were my dealership I'd want to do everything I could to get the customer to come back - after the purchase and for many years after that - even if the customer just brings the bike in for a diagnostic and it turns out to not be covered by warranty so they don't want me to do the repair, at least they've come in, I might have made a couple of bucks if the diagnostic was one of those particularly time consuming jobs and the customer knew up-front that for that kind of service there'd have to be some charge, I'd had a chance to further/maintain a good-will relationship with the customer, maybe the customer buys some accessory or gives the sales staff a chance to show off the next potential buy, and maybe goes ahead and authorizes the repair since the bike is already there.

But the way it is now: I'm going to charge you a 100% mark-up for processing the paperwork for something you may never use and I really don't care if you bring the bike back once the factory warranty runs out - I'm not going to lift a finger to encourage you to give me the business instead of doing it yourself for less...it just doesn't make sense to my simple mind.

I believe warranty work is billed to Yamaha on a "book rate". While I'm not a dealer, I have had the chance to browse a number of manufacturers warranty books and cannot believe how short the allowable time is for some of the tasks. I have a hard time believing that a dealer makes any money on warranty work...unless they cheat the paperwork and add a bunch of stuff that they really did not do. I have witnessed "doctored" work orders in the past.

The high price paid up front might be the only profit a dealer makes on an EW...that's the dealer's issue with Yamaha...not the consumer.

PTP
It may indeed be the dealer's issue with Yamaha - the issue being the time allowed for jobs. But even if Yamaha doesn't allocate enough time, the point still is that if the bike isn't under warranty the customer may do the job themselves, so the dealer doesn't even make what Yamaha would pay them. Unless you're saying that dealers actually lose money when doing warranty work because of insufficient time allowed by Yamaha, which would make me wonder then why they'd even sell an extended warranty - they'd be increasing their liability to lose money, and I'm sure there'd be a lot more dealers refusing to do work on bikes they didn't sell.

It may indeed be the dealer's issue with Yamaha - the issue being the time allowed for jobs. But even if Yamaha doesn't allocate enough time, the point still is that if the bike isn't under warranty the customer may do the job themselves, so the dealer doesn't even make what Yamaha would pay them. Unless you're saying that dealers actually lose money when doing warranty work because of insufficient time allowed by Yamaha, which would make me wonder then why they'd even sell an extended warranty - they'd be increasing their liability to lose money, and I'm sure there'd be a lot more dealers refusing to do work on bikes they didn't sell.

I believe on some warranty tasks the dealers do lose money on book rates, that is an issue for the dealer and the factory to discuss.

Yamaha *has* to offer an extended warranty to remain competitive and reputable. There are certain people that will never work on their own bikes, and that's OK...but if Yamaha simply said after one year you're at the mercy of the mechanic of your choice, I'd be willing to bet some would choose another brand. The fact that some people choose to do their own service and not pay a dealer to do it is not revelant to the warranty discussion. I'm pretty sure a dealer doesn't care if a bike was purchased from them or not if they get to charge full shop rates on service for a bike not covered under warranty.

When a dealer accepts the privledge of representing Yamaha or Brand "X", they don't get to pick and choose the corporate expectations they're going to live up to. A factory authorized dealer should live up to factory authorized extended warranties. If not, the consumer should go over the dealers head and let the corporate entity deal with it...if the dealer still refuses, they'll probably lose their agreement to be an authorized dealer.

So for those dealers who say they won't offer a factory warranty purchased at another dealer, one can only hope that Mama Yama will keep them in check.

It boils down to this...offer to buy the factory warranty at the local dealer for a price that you're comfortable with, if they choose not to accept the offer, go buy it at another dealer.

PTP