Yamaha FJ-09 Sport Tourer Update

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is going to be interesting to see if this bike sells well. The FJ-09 is priced 31% higher than the FZ-09 yet the FJ-09 has neither cruise control nor heated seat as options. I think the FJ-09 would sell better had it been optioned more like a FJR.
Heated grips are an accessory for around $280.

I don't understand why Yamaha puts this bike in the same "Supersport-Touring" category with the FJR.

Being that they did, one would think they would have at least had cruise as an option.

Looks to me they wanted to keep the price down.

They did include some nice features though-ABS, traction control LED lighting and tool-less shield adjustment,and power outlet .

Anybody notice saddle height?
33.3" and 33.9" (adjustable) It's not an adventure bike, why the tall seat heights.Specs here: https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/products/modelspecs/721/0/specs.aspx
I think the purpose of the taller seat is to provide a more upright seating position. It is going to be interesting to see if this bike sells well. The FJ-09 is priced 31% higher than the FZ-09 yet the FJ-09 has neither cruise control nor heated seat as options. I think the FJ-09 would sell better had it been optioned more like a FJR.
If you think about it, that's contradictory: If the bars don't move, a higher seat height puts the rider in a more compact position. Low seat + high bars = upright. Of course there are more combinations that give you an upright position, but the saddle don't do it. Agreed, though, I don't see the point in the tall seat unless it's aimed at the V-Strom and Multistrada. Of course, BMW has put the fox among the pigeons with the new S1000XR, at least in terms of performance...(and price).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the seperate part numbers certainly suggest the saddle bags must be purchased seperately. At first, I thought that was ridiculous, but I guess in the event of a fall, you may only need 1 replacement bag.

Still, adding a net $500.00 to the FJ-09's "equipped" price still puts it well below what I believe to be it's fiercest competition.

That's a great question.

IMO, it's fiercest competition will be the Versys 1000 and the V-strom 1000. Others may find these too "adventurous" to compete with the FJ-09, but I disagree. After I ride the FJ-09, I might change my mind, but on paper, that is how I see it.

The VFR800 and the Ninja 1000 are too sporty.

^^^^^

Agreed. Not ADV enough to go against the GS or the KTM. The Caponord is in there, but relatively scarce.

That's a great question.
IMO, it's fiercest competition will be the Versys 1000 and the V-strom 1000. Others may find these too "adventurous" to compete with the FJ-09, but I disagree. After I ride the FJ-09, I might change my mind, but on paper, that is how I see it.

I think the Beemer 1000XR is going to be the giant in this category - not fair in that will probably run $10k higher than the others and with astronomical maintenance costs, but its equipped with all the toys and a monster of an engine - I bet anyone who rides one won't be able to live with the cheaper options.....

Maintenance costs aren't all that high on the S-series bikes. I suspect it'll stomp everything except the Multistrada. There you're talking maintenance costs. And reliability issues. And from what I understand, QC issues.

But back to the XR...I'm going to studiously not ride one.

That's a great question.

I think the Beemer 1000XR is going to be the giant in this category - not fair in that will probably run $10k higher than the others and with astronomical maintenance costs, but its equipped with all the toys and a monster of an engine - I bet anyone who rides one won't be able to live with the cheaper options.....
I don't think it will be that expensive, probably only 8k higher with astronomical maintenance costs, but still less expensive than the MultiStrata......I hope the dealers don't have any demos or it could be a very costly visit.

The Versys 1000 is going to be more powerful than the FJ-09 and the V-strom. The rags will pick the Kawi undoubtedly because it can win drag races that never occur.

Admittedly, I don't know much about the MultiStrata or the BMW XR.

Loved my test ride on the FZ-09. It would not make my must have top five bikes but I could sure have a lot of fun on Saturday afternoons. It is, however, too small a bike for my 6'2" and 200 lb body. and I really don't need a hair burner good time any longer. My Hayabusa cured me of that.

Thanks for posting the vid. My less than 0.02:

Yamaha desperately needs to hire an Italian in the styling department. Like the two FZs, the bike is a terrible clutter of parts, lines and surfaces. It's particularly fugly from the dead-on front view. The instrument panel looks like they gave a 1980s designer an LCD to work with.

It's not BMW R1200ST bad, but it's certainly the 2015 Japanese equivalent.

I started a thread of a "rumor" that Yamaha may replace the current 4-cyl. FJR with a 3-cyl. "big inch" replacement as printed in the Motorcyclist magazine.

Several comments, before it got locked, said the FJ-09 is it??

I do not see the FJ-09 as being that bike. Reasons being that it does not have shaft drive, cruise, elect. windscreen, and has minimal wind protection, no electronically adjustable suspension available-yet.

How many people would move to that type of platform to replace their FJR? I suspect not too many.

I read the same thing you did in Motorcyclist. The entire page 36 is devoted to the FJ-09 complete with a good broadside pic of the bike with hard bags.

On the facing page (37) in the sidebar titled "Rumor Mill" it clearly states, "and the rumors of a three cylinder, big inch replacement for the FJR 1300 continue to buzz."

How reliable that rumor is we can only guess.

Looks like to me that almost everyone who read the (3!) threads you started jumped to their own incorrect conclusion.

That's a great question.

I don't think it will be that expensive, probably only 8k higher with astronomical maintenance costs, but still less expensive than the MultiStrata......I hope the dealers don't have any demos or it could be a very costly visit.

An AZ Beemers Club Member already has a 1000XR ordered with his deposit, price is unknown but as soon as I get the lowdown I will let you all know! JSNS!

I think many people are missing the point of bikes like this. They are not replacements for bikes like the FJR. They are technically another niche, in the already small sport touring category, or buyers that want smaller lighter bikes to sport and tour around on. They will never supercede the LD touring and 2-up prowess of an FJR (or their ilk) and neither will any FJR exceed these lightweight bikes' capability 1-up, locked and loaded for corners.

This is the real reason we have 2-car garages in so much of America. You didn't think it was to put two cars in there did you?
wink.png

Now, if Yamaha was to come out with a 1400 triple, with all the amenities of the 3rd Gen, well... I might be sorry I jumped on the 2014. There are some serious advantages to a 3 cylinder engine over an inline 4.