Yamaha FJ-09 Sport Tourer Update

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it should be lighter by a little bit as the engine could be narrower. Also, there will be fewer moving parts, therefore less expensive to build. I haven't ridden a yamaha triple for close to 40 years so I can't say with certainty for modern era engines, but I think the triple is inherently smoother than an inline four. That primary balance thing..I think the torque will develop a little lower in the RPM scale as well.

I think many people are missing the point of bikes like this. They are not replacements for bikes like the FJR. They are technically another niche, in the already small sport touring category, or buyers that want smaller lighter bikes to sport and tour around on. They will never supercede the LD touring and 2-up prowess of an FJR (or their ilk) and neither will any FJR exceed these lightweight bikes' capability 1-up, locked and loaded for corners.
This is the real reason we have 2-car garages in so much of America. You didn't think it was to put two cars in there did you?
wink.png

Now, if Yamaha was to come out with a 1400 triple, with all the amenities of the 3rd Gen, well... I might be sorry I jumped on the 2014. There are some serious advantages to a 3 cylinder engine over an inline 4.
Might as well round it up to an even 500cc per cylinder.
wink.png

"There are some serious advantages to a 3 cylinder engine over an inline 4."
What are they, exactly?
Yes, narrower and lighter (as compared to the same engine with 4 cylinders), but the biggest is the intrinsic primary balance of a three cylinder crankshaft vs. a twin or or inline 4. A two stroke triple or an inline 6 cylinder 4 stroke is actually even better as the power delivery is smoother as well.

Here's a quick reference on cylinder configurations that I googled up this morning.

"There are some serious advantages to a 3 cylinder engine over an inline 4."
What are they, exactly?
Yes, narrower and lighter (as compared to the same engine with 4 cylinders), but the biggest is the intrinsic primary balance of a three cylinder crankshaft vs. a twin or or inline 4. A two stroke triple or an inline 6 cylinder 4 stroke is actually even better as the power delivery is smoother as well.

Here's a quick reference on cylinder configurations that I googled up this morning.
Nice article; thanks FredW. English is apparently not the writer's original language, but that made the techno-speak a bit more enjoyable.

As for the FJ-09, I'm still in the honeymoon stage with my FJR.
love.gif

An interesting revue, but way, way too tall for my son. As all sensible bikes seem to be
upset.gif

... English is apparently not the writer's original language ...
Not sure why you say that
unsure.png
. At a quick read-through, as far as I could see there was only one superfluous apostrophe ("bar's"), one missing plural ("Adjusting thing is easy"), possible a missing 't' ("The 'sof-hard' zip-up"). All the rest of it, including grammar, looked fine. Most impressive was that all of the "it's" and "its" were correctly used, quite rare these days.

I think the "lowering kit" referenced in the review is referring to an optional seat that lowers the seat height (by how much, I'm not sure).

Pretty detailed review. Wonder where he got the 120hp figure on the Versys 1000?

The FJ-09 is gonna be a bargain. Hope it sells good here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sat on an FJ09 at the bike show in New York yesterday. It felt more like a small version of the Super Ten to me than a small FJR. It was comfortable but tall, and the seat, thought it had a tag on it that said 'comfort', was very stiff and uncomfortable. Aside from the seat, I liked it.

I sat on an FJ09 at the bike show in New York yesterday. It felt more like a small version of the Super Ten to me than a small FJR. It was comfortable but tall, and the seat, thought it had a tag on it that said 'comfort', was very stiff and uncomfortable. Aside from the seat, I liked it.
I'm really looking forward to giving it a test sit in January at the bike show. I should be okay with the height of the seat.

I'm seriously considering the FJ09 to replace my current Gen 3. I really have grown tired of the weight of the FJR. After getting back into small bikes in the last few years the weight of the FJ09 is really appealing. I figure with a set of FJR bags on it I'm not really losing carrying capacity. It's whether I can live with the smaller fairing/windshield or not. Then it's a matter of seeing if Line can live with the riding position and whether Russell will be making seats for it. I'll miss the cruise but I lived for years without it.

Chain vs Shaft really isn't an issue with modern x-ring chains. Give'm a little squirt once in a blue moon and your good to go.

I'll miss the cruise but I lived for years without it.
The left switch pod has blanks in it that look like it could accomodate factory cruise if Yamaha ever offers it. Along with the FJR like bags, that would make this bike a lightweight sport touring gem.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll miss the cruise but I lived for years without it.
The left switch pod has blanks in it that look like it could accomodate factory cruise if Yamaha ever offers it. Along with the FJR like bags, that would make this bike a lightweight sport touring gem.
smile.png
Wouldn't surprise me to see cruise offered for 2016.

I'm not going to be a early adopter of the FJ-09 or any bike but if it pans out I'd guess it's better than 50% probability that the FJ-09 replaces my FJR. As a primary bike the FJ-09 is more appropriate for the type of riding I actually do which is mostly long day rides in the mountains and occasional light touring.

I've been waiting for a smaller version of the FJR as well. It's going to have to have cruise and provisions for a top case though.