Yamaha FZ-09 - european street rally version

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolverine

Reaction score
Just saw at the yamaha's european site the MT-09 Street Rally, a Hypermotard-ish version of the state's bound FZ-09. I want one!

2014-Yamaha-MT-09-Street-Rally-EU-Tech-Graphite-Studio-001.jpg

I think the US version is very HyperMotard-ish to begin with.

14yamahaFZ09_3.jpg

It looks like a great old guy's sport bike. I'd love to have one, but it isn't in the financial cards for me right now.

I think the US version is very HyperMotard-ish to begin with.

[img=[URL="https://images.cyclenews.com/photogalleries/xlarge/14yamahaFZ09_3.jpg%5D"]https://images.cyclenews.com/photogalleries/xlarge/14yamahaFZ09_3.jpg][/URL]

It looks like a great old guy's sport bike. I'd love to have one, but it isn't in the financial cards for me right now.
"Old guy's sport bike" hahaha! I'm not an old fart yet but that's what I want to be when I grow up (h)

Good looking version of the MT-09/FZ-09 but like Fred kinda said it's basically the same thing with some cosmetic changes and added plastic pieces.

I see the one in the photo has the Yamaha optional Akrapovic exhaust and hand guards. Other than that it's all small plastic bits and color changes.

Personally, I prefer the 'merican version. My daughter is shopping for a new bike this year and I strongly recommended the FZ-09.

Since I am recovering from an operation, 4 months ago, 5 new throttle bodies to my heart. A wake up call to buy that new light weight bike to whip through the corners in the mountains (Windy Ridge). I am so happy that Yamaha heard my prayers and came out with the FZ-09, now I don't have to spend even more money on the Street Triple R. I got one on Saturday, but have only rode it home. Spent all day today on the FJR at 28-46 temps so it was a good idea not to ride the FZ. This is what it looks like, as if you guys didn't know what the red ones look like. Looking to a fix a top box, heated grips, and an electrical outlet to run my tank bag with a gps and radar detector. Simple, actually not much different than the FJR. Maybe an outlet for heated clothing if the stator will allow:

P1070067_800.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Ken, congrats on the new ride. Looks like very interesting/fun scoot, and a lot of bike for $$....
punk.gif

Since I am recovering from an operation, 4 months ago, 5 new throttle bodies to my heart. A wake up call to buy that new light weight bike to whip through the corners in the mountains (Windy Ridge).
I am so happy that Yamaha heard my prayers and came out with the FZ-09, now I don't have to spend even more money on the Street Triple R Simple, actually not much different than the FJR.
Your first comment above: sorry to hear that you had to go through all this. I assume this was a full open heart surgery. I certainly wish you all the best in your continued recovery.

Your second comment: by "not much different," I'm assuming you're referring to acceleration? You didn't say in WHAT WAY it was not much different.

Gary

darksider #44

I am thinking about maybe the FZ-9 as a day trip bike in the Smokies after the move, whenever that happens.

I've had nothing but the FJR since I got back into bikes...so I'm kind of guessing at what would be a good second bike down there...

Since I am recovering from an operation, 4 months ago, 5 new throttle bodies to my heart. A wake up call to buy that new light weight bike to whip through the corners in the mountains (Windy Ridge).
I am so happy that Yamaha heard my prayers and came out with the FZ-09, now I don't have to spend even more money on the Street Triple R Simple, actually not much different than the FJR.
Your first comment above: sorry to hear that you had to go through all this. I assume this was a full open heart surgery. I certainly wish you all the best in your continued recovery.

Your second comment: by "not much different," I'm assuming you're referring to acceleration? You didn't say in WHAT WAY it was not much different.

Gary

darksider #44
Not much different was referring to the tank bag with the electrics that power the gps, radar detector, phone and etc. not the bikes. Mucho different. To mention a few: lean and you are around the corner, think it and its done; more upright seating = more relaxed; very light easy to move around in the garage. It fits in the corner, kind of. I really haven't had a chance to ride it, but I think with a bit of fairing, extended rear sub-frame for luggage and (somehow) a center stand and it would make a good light weight tourer, like that 440 lb. BMW F800ST. The engine is very smooth, with little vibration.

Good choice in color selection.I thought I would like the orange,but yesterday I saw all three colors and as soon as I saw the red one it was game over!

Ever since I got the KLR I've appreciated the advantages of a lighter bike,but I missed the power of the FJR.The FZ-09 might just be the ticket.