Yamaha Posts Half-Year Net Loss

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a friend who's living with his C14 now. He doesn't like the $48 DIY oil changes and tire changes that are synched to the oil change cycle. He's not yet reached any milestone service levels yet, so those costs haven't yet hit.

electronic cruise would be sweet.

heated grips are too easy and cheap to DIY to add them to the bottom line cost of purchase of the bike.

larger alternator output is a MUST.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a friend who's living with his C14 now. He doesn't like the $48 DIY oil changes and tire changes that are synched to the oil change cycle. He's not yet reached any milestone service levels yet, so those costs haven't yet hit.
(A little thread-slide -- from a post last month...) :eek:

Recently I talked with a State Motor Patrol Officer and he said the BMW dealer charges the state $400 for an oil-change on his R1150RTP..!
Maintaining an FJR is almost free -- by comparison... :)

heated grips are too easy and cheap to DIY to add them to the bottom line cost of purchase of the bike.

Oh not to worry!! Lets get someone in the forum that voted for the guy bailing out the world ,and just have him include yamaha. Sounds reasonable to me!! Okay, all those that voted for the guy please petition for a little more of a bail out, you know a stimulas package for us, the fjr junkies. Nuff said!!

Oh not to worry!! Lets get someone in the forum that voted for the guy bailing out the world ,and just have him include yamaha. Sounds reasonable to me!! Okay, all those that voted for the guy please petition for a little more of a bail out, you know a stimulas package for us, the fjr junkies. Nuff said!!
Let's keep this discussion as far away from any political reference as possible. I wouldn't like to see this thread get shut down by our admin team prematurely. Thanks! :)

Let's keep this discussion as far away from any political reference as possible. I wouldn't like to see this thread get shut down by our admin team prematurely. Thanks! :)
Well said Marty !!

Well said Marty !!
Sorry for the bad thread, in poor taste. I agree completely, I appologize!

Well said Marty !!
Sorry for the bad thread, in poor taste. I agree completely, I appologize!
Not to worry... this time. ;) Next infraction however will cost you 10 minutes in a small, dark closet with odot. :eek:

I am just waiting for RadioHowie to chime in about the the GenIII CCT...
Howie where are ya?

Right here, bitin' my lip.

The CCT, if there IS a '10, or Gen III, will still be the same POS it is now. Yammy bought 37,000 of 'em from Lower Slobovia Motorwerken for 69 cents each and need to get some of their money back.

Not to worry... this time. ;) Next infraction however will cost you 10 minutes in a small, dark closet with odot. :eek:
That would imply you have the key to said closet, or know where it is hidden. :eh-smiley:

And Howie, I'd say you're just bitter, but I really have no such knowledge and would have to ask Mrs. Howie to verify. I hear it's only after drinking a lot of beer....

That would imply you have the key to said closet, or know where it is hidden. :eh-smiley:

And Howie, I'd say you're just bitter, but I really have no such knowledge and would have to ask Mrs. Howie to verify. I hear it's only after drinking a lot of beer....
Not bitter....pragmatic. She don't know nuthin'. And I prefer gin or vodka, but I have been know to enjoy an occasional nearly frozen Carta Blanc or Corona. :drinks:

However, it would be reasonable to become bitter when a 13 cent clock spring made of frog hair is responsible for destroying a $5000 motor. :angry:

BTW, right now I'm enjoying a tall, frosty snifter of homemade sangria. :)

It will be very interesting to see what happens next month. I know we're all guessing at this point but everyone has valid concerns. It could be Gen 3 or none at all.

I think since cruisers sell 20:1 over anything like the FJR this may not bode-well for our model. You have to know that the FJR is not a big part of their profit picture. The FJR filled a small nitch when times were good. Now, I don't know. If Yamaha thinks they will sell very few of a new Gen 3 they may scrap it even though they poured $$$ into the R&D.

We are in a time when all bets are off. No one can predict what companies are going to do financially.

It will be very interesting to see what happens next month. I know we're all guessing at this point but everyone has valid concerns. It could be Gen 3 or none at all.
I think since cruisers sell 20:1 over anything like the FJR this may not bode-well for our model. You have to know that the FJR is not a big part of their profit picture. The FJR filled a small nitch when times were good. Now, I don't know. If Yamaha thinks they will sell very few of a new Gen 3 they may scrap it even though they poured $$$ into the R&D.

We are in a time when all bets are off. No one can predict what companies are going to do financially.
Don't forget the International Market. In Europe, cruisers are the low sellers and ST bikes are very popular - including the FJR.

PDP...PDP...PDP...PDP...PDP...PDP...PDP...PDP...PDP...PDP...PDP...PDP...PDP

I just thought I'd try a little lobbying for OCfjr's idea to return to the Prepaid Delivery Program!

Keep selling them where the market is thriving for them and import them here via a return to the PDP. What a wonderful idea. Certainly a win-win for the dealers and those of us who already own an FJR!

With the profits they will make by decreasing the inventory they can upgrade the CCT and send Howie a letter thanking him for exposing the weakness. ;)

PDP...PDP...PDP...PDP...PDP...PDP...PDP...PDP...PDP...PDP...PDP...PDP...PDP
I just thought I'd try a little lobbying for OCfjr's idea to return to the Prepaid Delivery Program!

Keep selling them where the market is thriving for them and import them here via a return to the PDP. What a wonderful idea. Certainly a win-win for the dealers and those of us who already own an FJR!

With the profits they will make by decreasing the inventory they can upgrade the CCT and send Howie a letter thanking him for exposing the weakness. ;)
They do PDP for other markets from what I recall, like snowmobiles, (snow machines?). Imagine going in to the dealer and being able to order your next season dirt/street bike in say, October at a good price since the dealer is making solid profit w/minimal risk and spending no money on floor models. It would be a far different experience for many, but people would get used to it. Dealers could even be allowed floor models - if they so chose, from the prior model year for the folks that just have to sit and make vroom, vroom noises or test ride. (side note - does anyone test ride dirt bikes? Ever?)

Oh wait, we did that and it worked pretty darn well. Why did we change it again? Bueller? ... Anyone?

@Howie - You missed a double entendre (sp) there friend. :unsure: Yamaha sadly will never send Howie a letter. Too bad they don't step up more on the 'yes, I screwed it up, but it shouldn't have been bad in the first place' problems.

Oh wait, we did that and it worked pretty darn well. Why did we change it again? Bueller? ... Anyone?
Oh, wait, that's mean new owners would have to do research on their proposed purchase. Then they'd have to be determined to own a particular bike. With the time they'd have waiting for its arrival they'd have time to decide which farkles and when AND the might be staunch supporters of the very motorcycle they'd dreamed about and finally own.

It'll never work, Eric. Nice thought, though.

@Howie, I'm just stirring it up, mang. I am truly sorry about your situation.

Anyone know of a nice, gently used engine for Howie?

The Dealer could be taken out of the equation, too. With all the complaints one reads here -- it seems there wouldn't be much lost.. (many here don't want to visit a dealer, anyway -- from the many comments made)?

Some Yamaha dealers are already selling new FJRs on ebay -- GM's in the news for selling cars/trucks on ebay.

Yamaha may need to crate the bikes fully-assembled (they're now about 95+%) -- should be possible?

Dispensing with the middleman (dealers) allows Yamaha/Cypress to make more profit and eliminates a bunch of cry-baby dealers.... :rolleyes:

Of course, something may need to be done about the cry-baby end-users.... :eek: :unsure: :smilingsmiley: