Yamaha Super Tenere 1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=2962.msg21349#msg21349 My Bestest Mexico Riding Buddy and AZ Beemers Club President Brian Boles took a ton of shots of the new Yamaha Super Teners at the Long Beach International Motorcycle Show. The photos and text are in Reply #6 on this thread linkage.
You will need to let your Buddy know that his comment near the end of his post "An aftermarket supplier already has stuff for the Tenere. Note, the mud was clearly painted/sprayed on." is way off base. ALTrider has posted some awesome videos of the Super Tenere on ADVrider and the mud was NOT "painted/sprayed on"!!!

https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=2962.msg21349#msg21349 My Bestest Mexico Riding Buddy and AZ Beemers Club President Brian Boles took a ton of shots of the new Yamaha Super Teners at the Long Beach International Motorcycle Show. The photos and text are in Reply #6 on this thread linkage.
You will need to let your Buddy know that his comment near the end of his post "An aftermarket supplier already has stuff for the Tenere. Note, the mud was clearly painted/sprayed on." is way off base. ALTrider has posted some awesome videos of the Super Tenere on ADVrider and the mud was NOT "painted/sprayed on"!!!

True dat'..... Painted on,.... I started busting out laughing.. :lol: No, I think that's real... :blink:

Its OK, not everyone in this world spends hundreds of hours scouring over every GOOGLE search site for the SUPER TENERE, like a few of us do on this thread.... Not to mention any names..... LOL :p

We got some sick people in this crowd for this bike..... im #1 :dribble: :p

Its OK, not everyone in this world spends hundreds of hours scouring over every GOOGLE search site for the SUPER TENERE, like a few of us do on this thread.... Not to mention any names..... LOL :p

We got some sick people in this crowd for this bike..... im #1 :dribble: :p
Me too..............

And I'd guess I'm pretty close to #2

:dribble:

That would make me #0 then...apparently I was talking about the Super Ten in my sleep the night before the show!

For anyone interested in being able to disable the Tenere's ABS, this thread was just started on PNWRiders.com.

https://pnwriders.com/mechanical-technical/142897-disable-abs-yamaha-super-tenere-xt1200z-your-opinions.html

This is going to be an ALTRider.com product.
Thank You Very Much, MCRIDER007; this will be my very first farkle installed on my Super Tenere. I am already a subscriber to ALT Rider's website and I receive periodic e-mails from them. I will have one of these items in my luggage when I fly to D & H in Alabama and I will have Jerold install it before I ride out the door to meet up with RadioHowie in Panama City, Florida!

For anyone interested in being able to disable the Tenere's ABS, this thread was just started on PNWRiders.com.

https://pnwriders.com/mechanical-technical/142897-disable-abs-yamaha-super-tenere-xt1200z-your-opinions.html

This is going to be an ALTRider.com product.
Thank You Very Much, MCRIDER007; this will be my very first farkle installed on my Super Tenere. I am already a subscriber to ALT Rider's website and I receive periodic e-mails from them. I will have one of these items in my luggage when I fly to D & H in Alabama and I will have Jerold install it before I ride out the door to meet up with RadioHowie in Panama City, Florida!
If I were you, I'd send any parts you want put on ahead of time so they can have it installed and ready for you. I did that with my FJR when they put on an aftermarket bar riser plate (cost me $75 for install) and saved me the time and effort to do it. I may do this with some stuff on my super Tenere before I get to Cullman to pick it up (could even have supplier ship directly to them instead of you as long as you tell Jerold ahead of time it is coming).

doctorj

It may already be known, but I understood that the ABS can be temporarily disabled by some sequence of the rear brake pedal and front brakes.... was engineered in for those downhill situations or muddy roads, etc. However, it also turned back on after a timeout period.... maybe these guys didn't think that was good enough?

It may already be known, but I understood that the ABS can be temporarily disabled by some sequence of the rear brake pedal and front brakes.... was engineered in for those downhill situations or muddy roads, etc. However, it also turned back on after a timeout period.... maybe these guys didn't think that was good enough?
Hitting the back brake first only disables the LBS - not the ABS.

Hope everyone had a safe and awesome Christmas ! !

Got a few questions that are popping my head... Don't want to start a new post or new threads for each, that would be kinda dumb ! ! :p Here are a few thoughts................

-Anyone going to move over to knobs soon after they get there new ST ? What are you going to get ? TKC-80 / K60's / or new Kenda, Metzeler Karoo's, Etc ? Thought I was going to TKC... I'm now leaning toward the K60 or K60 scout... Your thoughts ?

- Anyone know or have heard of anyone buying a new ST, to turn around and throw it up on Ebay ? I know someone is going to do that out there....... anyone know of anyone ? Dumb I know, but those people are out there.... :lol:

- NOT to pick a fight... just a question :) Why are there SO many people on the Internet biotching about the ABS on this bike before they get it? 99.9% of magazines are driven by Ad's and how they get paid, and IMOP are compromised in printed literature. I myself have ridden the bike and tried the ABS on wet asphalt, Etc.. I dont 'think' im going to build myself a ABS "turn off" switch but these brakes are arguably the best an ADV bike has EVER seen or had. Just wondering if (really) the ABS being on V.S. being turned off,is going to ruin there whole ride if the rider couldn't slide out or slide down a hill.. Everyone has to feel safe, and we all buy for different reasons.... just asking.. Ive got a few bikes, some with ABS, some with out. ABS has saved my ass twice in my life and im glad it was their. Ive got 100K + miles road experience. Ive also raced off road for 11 years. So I myself, are going to leave the brakes alone. For the time I KNOW I want to slide around and BS, im just going to throw it on the center stand and turn off the ABS... takes all of 30 seconds. If that doesnt fit me, Ill build the switch, its easy.

Anyhow, I would really like to know the honest thoughts of the guys that wont buy the bike cuz of the ABS or the ones that have to have a switch soon after buying? If ya wanna be an a-hole... just dont post... this is normal conversation tone.... :blink: :lol:

- There are several business building crash bars. I think I have counted about 6-8.. They all try and do the same thing. There is a new add out that the business has the bike on its side to prove there product. And when I mean on its side, I mean the tires off the ground. There is a VID out on you tube of a guy that crashed with a stock ST, no crash bars on concrete. It didnt damage the bike at all. It scuffed up the plastic bash / lift handel and touched the mirror. My thought as of recent is with the after market crash guard from Yamaha the approach angle to the ground with the crash bar is much lower to help keep the bike at a higher level and keep the tires on the ground. So if you where to lay it over it would be more 'propped up'as a triangle. All these others that protect the whole side almost to the bars seams nuts to me. Why are these designers not utilizing this triangle to protect your feet and keep the bike more propped up. With these others your bike WILL fall all the way to the side and might even have the tires off the ground. and there is no triangle and no lift from the ground to protect your feet... Don't get me wrong, a few look kinda cool but its getting to be a little "mad max" for me... Looks cool / REAL function ??? I'm I retarded or are you feeling me ? This is me right now - :blink:

- Anyone ride the bike yet and looking for higher bars already? (Me) If so, whats your thoughts.... I can ONLY set aside several hours a day for new home work on the ST.... :lol: just kidding... I wish :p

OK, thinks that it this second....... If ya got $.02 in your pocket throw it down and let us know !!!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey No One, I have decided to wait on ordering any crash bars based on that video you mentioned. I know the guys doing the Angola trip broke the radiator fan with a hit, but the way they used that bike is way harder than I will EVAR use it. I'll decide about the bars later after getting the bike as well as whether or not to get some risers. I would l like a place to mount some highway pegs since I will use the bike more as a sport tourer than adventure tourer so will see how to do that too if I don't get engine guards.

As for the ABS, I have not read of anyone really needing to disable the ABS in the countries where they ride the bike offroad already. The guy at Altrider recommended it but anyone who makes a part for the bike might say that. The guys on the Angola ride disconnected it before even trying it (from what I read)so not sure of their opinion. I won't be using that way so won't get a switch for it.

I'll wear out the OEM tires and then decide but will likely just use the Tourance EXP since will use for more highway use than dirt. My farkle list will be for what I know I want before the bike arrives and then after getting it will decide if other things would work for me.

doctorj

Got a few questions that are popping my head... Don't want to start a new post or new threads for each, that would be kinda dumb ! ! :p Here are a few thoughts................

-Anyone going to move over to knobs soon after they get there new ST ? What are you going to get ? TKC-80 / K60's / or new Kenda, Etc ? Thought I was going to TKC... I'm now leaning toward the K60 or K60 scout... Your thoughts ?

- Anyone know or have heard of anyone buying a new ST, to turn around and throw it up on Ebay ? I know someone is going to do that out there....... anyone know of anyone ? Dumb I know, but those people are out there.... :lol:

- NOT to pick a fight... just a question :) Why are there SO many people on the Internet biotching about the ABS on this bike before they get it? 99.9% of magazines are driven by Ad's and how they get paid, and IMOP are compromised in printed literature. I myself have ridden the bike and tried the ABS on wet asphalt, Etc.. I dont 'think' im going to build myself a ABS "turn off" switch but these brakes are arguably the best an ADV bike has EVER seen or had. Just wondering if (really) the ABS being on V.S. being turned off,is going to ruin there whole ride if the rider couldn't slide out or slide down a hill.. Everyone has to feel safe, and we all buy for different reasons.... just asking.. Ive got a few bikes, some with ABS, some with out. ABS has saved my ass twice in my life and im glad it was their. Ive got 100K + miles road experience. Ive also raced off road for 11 years. So I myself, are going to leave the brakes alone. For the time I KNOW I want to slide around and BS, im just going to throw it on the center stand and turn off the ABS... takes all of 30 seconds. If that doesnt fit me, Ill build the switch, its easy.

Anyhow, I would really like to know the honest thoughts of the guys that wont buy the bike cuz of the ABS or the ones that have to have a switch soon after buying? If ya wanna be an a-hole... just dont post... this is normal conversation tone.... :blink: :lol:

- There are several business building crash bars. I think I have counted about 6-8.. They all try and do the same thing. There is a new add out that the business has the bike on its side to prove there product. And when I mean on its side, I mean the tires off the ground. There is a VID out on you tube of a guy that crashed with a stock ST, no crash bars on concrete. It didnt damage the bike at all. It scuffed up the plastic bash / lift handel and touched the mirror. My thought as of recent is with the after market crash guard from Yamaha the approach angle to the ground with the crash bar is much lower to help keep the bike at a higher level and keep the tires on the ground. So if you where to lay it over it would be more 'propped up'as a triangle. All these others that protect the whole side almost to the bars seams nuts to me. Why are these designers not utilizing this triangle to protect your feet and keep the bike more propped up. With these others your bike WILL fall all the way to the side and might even have the tires off the ground. and there is no triangle and no lift from the ground to protect your feet... Don't get me wrong, a few look kinda cool but its getting to be a little "mad max" for me... Looks cool / REAL function ??? I'm I retarded or are you feeling me ? This is me right now - :blink:

- Anyone ride the bike yet and looking for higher bars already? (Me) If so, whats your thoughts.... I can ONLY set aside several hours a day for new home work on the ST.... :lol: just kidding... I wish :p

OK, thinks that it this second....... If ya got $.02 in your pocket throw it down and let us know !!!! :D
I think I have read at least 90% of the reviews and hash out there on the ABS debate on the SuperT. I for one do not foresee a need for a switch based on my intended use of the bike. I'm NOT a hard-core dirt rider and from what I have read by the owners out there all ready, the new ABS works virtually flawless.

I'll stick with the stock tires (assume they will be BattleWings).

Will add some sort of an aftermarket bash-plate, but may pass on any crash-bars. If at all, I'll go with the offerings from Givi.

Planning on the WaspWorks adjuster for the windscreen.

Anxious for May!!!!

I'm leaning to the TKC-80's; already chatted briefly when I was at the dealer about swapping tires before the ride home. However, I expect that to be primarily pavement, so I may just go ahead and leave the stockers on until I get back to Arizona (depends on how much time i have to get back!). Got a link for the K60's?

I'll judge the ABS for myself when I get the bike, along with the crash bars. I definitely will get a bash plate for the sump though. When I sat on the bike in Long Beach, the bars felt just right to me; again time will tell.

:
The ABS without a doubt is a great tool to have on wet pavement. However if you ride your ST off road a lot you will most likely want this switch to be able to disable the ABS. I have a switch even though my 990 has a PIA OEM routine to shut the ABS off. The reason its a hassle because it takes a few minutes everytime you start the bike up. Which you wouldn't think to be a big deal however when you get into that gnarly stuff and start stalling the bike frequently you will have to go through this ABS shutdown routine everytime you start it back up. Which you WILL eventually forget to do and it may will catch you when you really NEED it to be off. So to sum it up....the big benefit of the switch is it will keep the ABS off until you switch it back to on position, regardless if the engine is restarted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm leaning to the TKC-80's; already chatted briefly when I was at the dealer about swapping tires before the ride home. However, I expect that to be primarily pavement, so I may just go ahead and leave the stockers on until I get back to Arizona (depends on how much time i have to get back!). Got a link for the K60's?

I'll judge the ABS for myself when I get the bike, along with the crash bars. I definitely will get a bash plate for the sump though. When I sat on the bike in Long Beach, the bars felt just right to me; again time will tell.

Here is the link to the K60's.... pictures and a TON of info if you like... they have a new Scout to you might want to look at. Its at the end of the current thread... K 60 TIRE Link

-Anyone going to move over to knobs soon after they get there new ST ? What are you going to get ? TKC-80 / K60's / or new Kenda, Etc ? Thought I was going to TKC... I'm now leaning toward the K60 or K60 scout... Your thoughts ?

I think I have read at least 90% of the reviews and hash out there on the ABS debate on the SuperT. I for one do not foresee a need for a switch based on my intended use of the bike. I'm NOT a hard-core dirt rider and from what I have read by the owners out there all ready, the new ABS works virtually flawless.

I'll stick with the stock tires (assume they will be BattleWings).

Will add some sort of an aftermarket bash-plate, but may pass on any crash-bars. If at all, I'll go with the offerings from Givi.

Planning on the WaspWorks adjuster for the windscreen.

Anxious for May!!!!

For sure 'thumbs up'

I'm going to build my own skid plate. Ive got some good ideas and nothing has come out to my idea. The Adj wind screen looks pretty good. Prolly wait to see what others say before shipping half way around the world.. ;) Like you said.... May needs to hurry up !

The ABS without a doubt is a great tool to have on wet pavement. However if you ride your ST off road a lot you will most likely want this switch to be able to disable the ABS. I have a switch even though my 990 has a PIA OEM routine to shut the ABS off. The reason its a hassle because it takes a few minutes everytime you start the bike up. Which you wouldn't think to be a big deal however when you get into that gnarly stuff and start stalling the bike frequently you will have to go through this ABS shutdown routine everytime you start it back up. Which you WILL eventually forget to do and it may will catch you when you really NEED it to be off. So to sum it up....the big benefit of the switch is it will keep the ABS off until you switch it back to on position, regardless if the engine is restarted.

In my case, if I had the switch, I would turn it off for a day of fun and forget to turn the ABS back on.... Get out on the road and kill myself.. I guess for me I would rather manually turn it off, then when I forget its ON.... LOL But ya know, sometimes im just a 'wild-and-crazy-guy'.......... ------steve martin----- :lol: