Yamaha Top Case

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S76

Reaction score
Yesterday I contacted my local dealer because my Yamaha topcase had cracked on the bottom like many others did. The bike is 1 month out of warranty, but I requested some consideration. They said accesories are not covered under warranty anyway but they would see what they can do.

Today, I get a letter in the mail from Yamaha recalling the topboxes for cracks. :yahoo:

If your box does not have any cracks they say the dealer will install a reinforcing plate on the bottom and provide a new mouning plate. If it is already cracked you get a new one with the reinforcing plate installed and a new mounting bracket. :yahoo:

Makes me love this bike all the more!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had mine installed last week and it is nice that they stepped up to take care fo these issues. Especially for those like you who now have bikes out of warranty.

I had mine installed last week and it is nice that they stepped up to take care fo these issues. Especially for those like you who now have bikes out of warranty.
Mine is WAY out of warranty - printed the .pdf from the forum post and took it to my dealer. Asked him if he wanted to wait for the "official" tech bulletin from Yamaha. He said this looks official enough to me. He looked up the part, ordered if from Kalifornia and said when it comes in, I'll call you and we'll get ya' fixed up!

Now... try THAT with some "other" makes....

I received my letter from Yamaha last night. The letter stated that the top box shouldn't be used with the side hard bags due to possible overloading. I returned a couple weeks ago from a 2000mi adventure using both the top box, side bags, and wife. If I'm overloaded, what's the risk?

-Devin

Mine is WAY out of warranty - printed the .pdf from the forum post and took it to my dealer. Asked him if he wanted to wait for the "official" tech bulletin from Yamaha. He said this looks official enough to me. He looked up the part, ordered if from Kalifornia and said when it comes in, I'll call you and we'll get ya' fixed up!
Now... try THAT with some "other" makes....
I received my letter on saturday, called immediately for that and another issue, and took the bike in this morning only to learn that the dealer had no idea what I was talking about....they had not yet received the "official" tech bulletin. It ended up okay, however, cause they ordered the parts for the recall, my other issue was addressed, and it was a great morning for a ride.

By the way, I was informed that Yamaha estimates the recall to take 30 minutes ... so it should be a quick fix for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a couple of pictures of where the cracks develop from my May post:

Arrgghh, my 2004 baseplate for the topcase has the initial cracks and needs to be replaced. Here are photos of what to look for to see if yours has the cracks that can lead to the topcase coming off:

The pen points to the edge of the plastic for a general orientation. I have a similar crack on the right side, too.

https://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa87/Ch...acklocation.jpg

You have to look REAL close to see the cracks with the naked eye. They almost look like just gray scratches. However, on the hidden side they are much longer:

https://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa87/Ch...ofplatehole.jpg

Bob

Arrgghh, they dropped my topcase photos. Anyway, the cracks start at the left and right edges of the big hole in the front of the baseplate, where the big front topcase foot slides into. The cracks are really hard to see at first.

Bob

Just got my recall notice this week. I don't have a Yammy trunk, but they mailed me the notice because I'm in their system as owning an FJR so MIGHT have bought one.

11lb weight limit, eh?