Yamaha Topbox Quick Release Bike Latch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motoman47

Reaction score
I just received my OEM Yamaha topbox with mounting rack and have noticed a few things not to my liking.

1. All three of the allen head bolts had rough edges where the threads began. I had another set of allen bolts that I used in place to them.

2. After mounting the rack to the bike, I attempted several times to mount the topbox. The front and rear latch mechanism of the box fit perfectly fine. The problem comes when I attempt to latch the box to the mounting rack. The locking tongue comes part way but stops leaving the latch handle not flush with the box. I called the dealer who offered tips like "Open and close the lid several times that should work for ya." It was also suggested that I shim the front of the box where the pads contact the rack causing the box to tilt allowing the tongue to move all the way as it was designed to be. I thought about grinding on the rear pad box really did not want to before asking for advice.

Ok, it's a gorgeous day here in Fort Worth and want to go ridding with my wife, besides leaving the box behind, can anyone offer any advice.

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
If I read this correctly the "tongue" of the latch (at the very back of the bike) is not extending all the way and the handle will not close and lock. ..but it will when off the bike right?

Try a dab of lithium grease on top of the tongue. , and try pushing the rear of the box down while pushin in the handle.

My handle does not sit perfectly flush either..but that is the "handle" to the lid, not the handle to the mount release which does not stick out any, I did check to make sure the tongue was extended as far as it would go.

Once locked with the key it should not be removable of course.

If I read this correctly the "tongue" of the latch (at the very back of the bike) is not extending all the way and the handle will not close and lock. ..but it will when off the bike right?
Try a dab of lithium grease on top of the tongue. , and try pushing the rear of the box down while pushin in the handle.

My handle does not sit perfectly flush either..but that is the "handle" to the lid, not the handle to the mount release which does not stick out any, I did check to make sure the tongue was extended as far as it would go.

Once locked with the key it should not be removable of course.
Thanks for the prompt response.

I did as you suggested with the grease and had not luck.

To be sure the rack being mounted on the bike was not a factor, I removed it and again attempted to mount the topbox again with same results. I later took it to a friend on mine who thought the rubber pad attached to the tongue might be too long preventing the mechanism from completing it full travel. Too prove his point, we removed the rubber piece that was affixed to the tongue and again attempted to mount the topbox. This time the locking mechanism completed its full travel. I completely understand why the rubber was affixed to the tongue mechanism but, also noticed with the rubber piece removed, the mechanism had more than enough tension / pressure to hold everything in place. To ensure that Yamaha knows of our findings, I’m going to remount the rack and install the topbox w/out the rubber piece. After being deemed road worthy, ride (without passenger) to the dealer so everything can be documented. Not sure what they’ll be able to do but wanted them know about it.

Stay tuned for further details.

Very odd. The front part of the box also has a rubber pad where it contacts the mount above the "slot" right behind the passenger seat. So not sure how much you should have to play with forwards/backwards for everything to line up.

Sounds like the "locking tongue" was not installed right.

KM