Yamaha vs Givi Trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Reaction score
Looking for hard sided trunk case. What are experiences between the two makers? Givi is less expensive - quality, design, capacity!!

Looking for hard sided trunk case. What are experiences between the two makers? Givi is less expensive - quality, design, capacity!!

I've seen a lot of top cases and have never seen one as well built as the Hepco Becker stuff. Ultra watertight, solid enough to use as a chair. Rock solid on their racks.

I don't know if I'll ever buy any other brand. Unless it comes stock as with the FJR.

Yamaha trunks are ugly.

My Givi 46 is great, but seems to be a little loose on it's rack lately. I shored up the "rattle" with some weather strip stuff and it's much nicer. I've had the Givi for about 40K miles and use it about 60-70% of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
The search button is your friend. This has been beat to death over the last five years. But that said all the gatherings of FJR's, the "Givi is by far the most popular, at least 10/1. The last year or so Yamaha has become a little more popular. The Givi V46 is the most popular Givi followed by the 52 liter box. For two up the 52 seems more popular, a little more room. Looks wise is subjective but in most opinions the Givi is the all around winner for mounting, as Yamaha has had a recall with broken racks. Givi is way stronger, steel rack. The givi is also a bargain compared to the yamaha.

I felt that the Yamaha box was just ugly, and the Givi 52 I got is way bigger, and cheaper. I like the brake light kit Givi has for their box. Some folks say the lights aren't bright enough, but I think they're OK. They're obviously higher up than the bike's brake lights, and since they don't serve as tail lights, they make a bigger contrast when they light up. Not there, then they're there. Has to be better visibility!

OTOH, I have to use a different key for the Givi, which has been irritationg. The Yammie box will take the 3rd lock that came with your bike, and use the same key as everything else on the bike. Nice, but not enough to close the deal.

Yamaha trunks are ugly.
:fuk:

;)

Nothing ugly about this bucko...

DSC01833.jpg

DSC02096.jpg

DSC06453.jpg

40k miles, no problems, no leaks, and only almost twice as expensive as the almost as cool Givi :lol:

and don't forget I can pick these gals up anytime and have them ready for tossing

DSC06463-1.jpg

I find the original side cases to be small and inpractical. I can hardly fit a normal size laptop carrying case in. (I ride to work too.)

Despite the fact that they caused me to crash my previous bike (ok - speed was a factor too :dribble: ) I still opt for the combo of Givi wingrack, E41 Keyless side panniers and E52 Maxia top case. Just remember not to exceed 100 mph when riding alone on with all cases attached. What really cracked me up was that even the FJR manual says (yup I looked - I confess) that it is not recommended to have the original side cases and the top case in place at th same time. :lol:

Here's my .02,

I had the Yam box on my '05 with the optional passenger back rest. Three main compliants;

1) The optional back rest didn't allow the passenger much space to lean back. This can become uncomfortable on longer trips. The backrest isn't very comfortable to lean up against, but it beats leaning against the box itself.

2) IMO, the Top Box made my FJR look a bit Goldwing'ish. Typically I'd leave my rear box at home unless I had a need for it, mainly because I didn't like the way it "bulked up" the looks of my FJR. But when you need extra storage space, it's nice to have.

3) The plastic mounting plate seemed a bit cheap, and definitely not lock-tight stable. Yam came out with a recall mod for this, but I never saw it. The mounting plate also permanently covers up the nice looking tail section of the FJR with a fairly ugly looking flat-black plate (can barely be seen with the box mounted). My mount never broke or cracked, but I would have felt better if the box had a more secure mount.

On the plus side; the color match was of course perfect. The Key/Lock supplied by Yam with key matching the igition key. No complaints on space... it held a lot of stuff. Full face helmet storage is no problem (but not two). I even stuffed a fair sized watermelon it there once!

Now I'm in the market for a top box for my '07. Here's my thoughts so far:

Yam Box for the '07... same as above. (Although I'd hope Yam sells it with the improved mounting plate.)

The Hepco Becker stuff looks like it's built like a tank, industrial looking, and IMO seriously ugly. The first time I saw HB's on a BMW I thought is was either a joke, or someone had gone nuts with their new welding equipment. On the plus side, HB's could cause serious damage to a cage in the event of a crash! :D

The Givi. No color match (although painting it has run across my mind). Attachment plate is steel which is good. Not sure if it allows an improved passenger "lean back angle" or not? Or what holes are necessary to mount the mounting plate? (Givi users?) Optional rear lights aren't very bright, but should be easy to modify to brighter LED's. More comfortable back rest for passenger.

So far I'm leaning towards one of the Givi models, and maybe get it painted to match. But it'll depend on what's involved with drilling up my '07 to mount the Givi mounting plate.

Oh, another thing to consider. Dis-mounting your bike with a top box (any top box), creates some interesting dismount procedures! :D

Good luck with your decision!

I have never had a trunk on the FJR but I did put one on my ST1300 and between it and a large windshield that sucker would move with the wind blast from the passing trucks on the highway. I will never do a trunk again, just a tail bag for me. But of course while I had it I loved it for travel.

I don't care for the looks of the Givi trunk. Way different lines. Sorta looks like a finished tortise shell.

I went with the Yamaha trunk from the dealer. When there was a recall I went in and they added a steal plate for a much more secure feeling. I like the look of the Givi a little better but I wanted a truck that was tested for the bike from Yamaha so I knew the would get the size and weight issues right. To each their own but I would get the Yamaha case again.

I like the looks of the Givi v52. The light kit works great and my wife likes the seating position. Both helmets fit nice and you can get three days worth of stuff in there for the roadtrip. It's not color matched (black) but no big deal to me. The yama box looks hokie but to each their own.

I have never had a trunk on the FJR but I did put one on my ST1300 and between it and a large windshield that sucker would move with the wind blast from the passing trucks on the highway. I will never do a trunk again, just a tail bag for me. But of course while I had it I loved it for travel.

Hey Bob, I have both ths side bags and a Givi 52 on my '07 and can go well over 100 mph with no adverse effects. Might be time to reconsider?

I bought the C46 & am very happy with the C46 and the very strong mounting bracket that Givi produces, which is just great for bungee, straps, etc. There have been reports of weaving with the yamaha trunk 'at speed', some owners complained about it, some never go fast enough to notice the problem.

To be fair, there was some weave action with the bike fully loaded, Givi, side bags, camping equipment strapped to the 2nd seat, when doing FJR maximum in Nevada. Since I don't usually ride at FJR maximum, that was really no problem. And yes, I like the aero Givi looks better than the Yamaha.

I would consider a SHAD topcase. Pierre Sousa has been using one for years and they are starting to be popular on the forum. Mine seems well made and waterproof(10,000 miles on mine so far). The part you really need to know is that my 48 liter case with FJR specific mounting bracket, brakelight, and backrest pad with shipping was less than $280! :yahoo: A search will show some pics of them mounted.

Hei,

ok, Hepco Becker might be ugly in some beerholders eyes, but I do have one and I will recommend it to my best friends. :rolleyes:

Btw, it is also possible to mont a medium softbag on the racks of the HB, cause it has got akind of sissybar frontwise.

JC Whitney Premium top case. Just under $100 delivered. Customer service was great. Over 7k with plenty of rain and win with no problems. Mounts to the Yamaha mounting plate with little modifications. Looks similar to the Givi 46. Blazed through parts of Nevada with no ill effects from the top case.

I have a V46 and had nothing but problems with it. During the first ride, the top cover ripped off and that inturn broke the right reflector. Most of the time, the latch doesnt work and I need to pry the latch with the small flat headed screw driver to get the lid open.

For the amount I paid for it, i give the unit the finger. :yahoo: