Yamalube 20W40 no longer being made

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been running Shell Rotella 15W-40 in all my bikes for years.

I had one of those bikes for 25 years and never had any oil related problems with it.

A couple of years ago I switched to the Synthetic Rotella and I have had no problems with that either.

You can get it at the local Wal-Mart in one gallon containers for a good price.

I don't pay a lot of attention to the motorcycle MFG'rs proprietary claims where you must use their oil, blah, blah, blah and that has never come back to bite me in any way, but what I do is change the oil and filters often, never more than 3000 miles.

It works for me and I will continue to do it that way until I get a mechanical reason not to do so.

I have been running Shell Rotella 15W-40 in all my bikes for years.I had one of those bikes for 25 years and never had any oil related problems with it.

A couple of years ago I switched to the Synthetic Rotella and I have had no problems with that either.

You can get it at the local Wal-Mart in one gallon containers for a good price.
Mmmm, another oil thread :yahoo:

+1 Rotella or Amsoil Synth..

Whatever the API rating is matched to.

Back to the topic at hand. Yamaha no longer makes 20W40 (semi-synthetic), I was told by one of the the Yamaha reps that the replacement being sent to the dealers is 20W50 (semi-synthetic). The 10W40 will be mineral based.

That's all for today children.

Canadian FJR

Rotella or Amsoil
Mmmm, Rotella -- brought to you by one of the largest companies in the world with limitless resources; Amsoil -- brought to you by some guy in Superior WI.

API is a consortium of American companies deciding and agreeing upon standards -- which is fine, as far as it goes. But, the FJR is a world-class motorcycle and goes beyond anything the API may decide. Good stuff to know, alright -- but, there are other oil companies beside American oil companies and distributors. IOW, in other parts of the world, the FJR may not use API lubes.

Rotella or Amsoil
Mmmm, Rotella -- brought to you by one of the largest companies in the world with limitless resources; Amsoil -- brought to you by some guy in Superior WI.

API is a consortium of American companies deciding and agreeing upon standards -- which is fine, as far as it goes. But, the FJR is a world-class motorcycle and goes beyond anything the API may decide. Good stuff to know, alright -- but, there are other oil companies beside American oil companies and distributors. IOW, in other parts of the world, the FJR may not use API lubes.

I have no idea what you're talking about but in the interest of the thread; You are correct.

Nothing better than using the third world research and development of oil products as a guide to fill up that world class motorcycle with some of the best oil in the world from those third world r&d countries. should run forever on that goo.

Ohhhhhhhh, I get it now. charismaticmegafauna was referring to API as some sort of??

Yamaha designates the API rating of what they think should be put in the bike. It's a designate like SF, SG, SL, etc., not the viscosity. Various viscosities of American or Venezuelan or Russian or Cuban goo will work just fine. Particularly if it's empty after blowing an oil filter gasket at speed. :blink:

Back to the topic at hand. Yamaha no longer makes 20W40 (semi-synthetic), I was told by one of the the Yamaha reps that the replacement being sent to the dealers is 20W50 (semi-synthetic). The 10W40 will be mineral based.
That's all for today children.

Canadian FJR

That 20w50 is also mineral based.

"Yamalube® Performance All Purpose 20W-50 for Land Products (JASO MA) Performance blended engine oil using high quality mineral base stocks for use in motorcycles, ATVs, Side x Sides, and scooters. "

Yamaha_Website

Maybe you're thinking of the 10w50 Yamahalube (semi-synthetic)

Yamalube 10w50

And then there's the 15w50 full synthetic Yamalube

Yamalube 15w50 Synthetic

Yamaha also makes a new 5-40 oil.

Look under outdoors product page, on their website.

ATV, Rhino usage.

I was at local dealer looking around today, just bored. FYI.

Cost $7.49 qt.