Yami Dealers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got off the phone with a local dealer, was enquiring about the possibility of maybe a "spare" 06 might end up on the showroom floor.

And this is what he told me "Yamaha have made it impossible for us to order bikes in other peoples names this year, they are requiring ownership of the bikes for a minimum of 6 months before allowing the warranty to be transferred. This is to stop dealers from ordering and then selling direct"

Have you ever heard such a piece of BS, as though any manufacturer could enforce ownership for a given period of time, this just goes to show that intelligence is not a pre-requisite to being part of the dealer network.

This numbnut then offered to take my $500 deposit over the phone and enter me into the PDP ordering system, didn't even know they had shut it down at the end of January.

Skippy (didn't want one of those shiny new 06's anyway) :p

Hey Tony,
Any sign of Yamaha giving the PDP the dirt nap anytime soon? It sure is a pain in the backside...
I don't see it happening. It has been a huge success for Yamaha and also the consumer. If the bikes were allocated then you wouldn't see the discounts as the bikes would be more evenly distributed among the dealers and with a tighter supply comes less discounts.

Regards,

Tony Orihuela

Yamaha Sportscenter

Just got off the phone with a local dealer, was enquiring about the possibility of maybe a "spare" 06 might end up on the showroom floor.
And this is what he told me "Yamaha have made it impossible for us to order bikes in other peoples names this year, they are requiring ownership of the bikes for a minimum of 6 months before allowing the warranty to be transferred. This is to stop dealers from ordering and then selling direct"

Have you ever heard such a piece of BS, as though any manufacturer could enforce ownership for a given period of time, this just goes to show that intelligence is not a pre-requisite to being part of the dealer network.

This numbnut then offered to take my $500 deposit over the phone and enter me into the PDP ordering system, didn't even know they had shut it down at the end of January.

Skippy (didn't want one of those shiny new 06's anyway) :p
Well Skippy, let me see if I can muster up the intelligence to respond to your post! :angry:

First of all the dealer is telling you exactly what he is being told! I am pasting an exerp from the program bulletin that explains it. There is no way that Yamaha can make a customer keep a bike for 6 months and they know it, but they are attempting to stop the fiasco that happened last year with a couple of dealers ordering a substantial amount of bikes on opening day then offering them for sale in all of the cycle trader publications before a lot of people received theirs.

This is from the bulletin:

Incentive Credits: In order to receive a 2006

FJR1300 Priority Delivery deposit credit,

Yamaha will provide the dealer with a list of all

claims submitted on YDS under “Xtras”,

“Motorsports Forms”, “2006 FJR1300 Priority

Delivery Claim Form”. Click on the “View List”

icon to see a list of all Priority Delivery

customer names, choice of model, date and

time submitted and corresponding claim

numbers. A space will be provided for dealer

to enter primary ID of unit delivered to

customer.

Customer name on 2006 FJR1300 Priority

Delivery Claim Form must match the

registered owner’s name entered at time of

warranty registration. Any changes made

to the registered owner’s name within 6

(six) months of warranty date will result in

dealer being charged for any credits

issued on this program.

So as you can see the dealer is telling you the truth.
default_black%20eye.gif

Tony Orihuela

Yamaha Sportscenter

Tony,

Thanks for your input on this - nice to have the perspective of a dealership.

It doesn't say that it can't be done, it just says that the dealer will be charged for any credits. What does that mean?

The first sentence references the 'Priority Delivery deposit credit'. Is that the $500 that is put down when a customer makes an order? The last sentence also references 'credits'. Am I interpreting this correctly in that, if a dealer goes by the book and collects a $500 deposit from a customer, then Yamaha will provide the dealer with a $500 credit? If that's the case, is the dealer basically foregoing the $500 credit if the warranty info changes in the first 6 months? If so, I guess that could simply be made up in the margin at which the bike is sold. In other words, instead of allowing negotiations to take place that would take $800 off of the MSRP, perhaps the dealer would only allow $300 off of the MSRP.

So, to say that the warranty CAN'T be transferred in the first 6 months is simply not true...right?

So, if I put my $500 down, bought a bike, and sold it 1 month later, the dealer gets penalized? Makes no sense to me.

Tony,Thanks for your input on this - nice to have the perspective of a dealership. 

It doesn't say that it can't be done, it just says that the dealer will be charged for any credits.  What does that mean?

The first sentence references the 'Priority Delivery deposit credit'.  Is that the $500 that is put down when a customer makes an order?  The last sentence also references 'credits'.  Am I interpreting this correctly in that, if a dealer goes by the book and collects a $500 deposit from a customer, then Yamaha will provide the dealer with a $500 credit?  If that's the case, is the dealer basically foregoing the $500 credit if the warranty info changes in the first 6 months?  If so, I guess that could simply be made up in the margin at which the bike is sold.  In other words, instead of allowing negotiations to take place that would take $800 off of the MSRP, perhaps the dealer would only allow $300 off of the MSRP.

So, to say that the warranty CAN'T be transferred in the first 6 months is simply not true...right?

So, if I put my $500 down, bought a bike, and sold it 1 month later, the dealer gets penalized?  Makes no sense to me.
You have it wrong. The customer gives a $500 deposit and Yamaha takes the deposit from the dealer. When the customer takes delivery he pays the dealer the agreed amount less the $500 deposit he paid to the dealer. When the bike is registered to the person who the bike is ordered for Yamaha will them give the deposit back to the dealer. This will then give the dealer the price agreed upon in the beginning. We are not getting additional money in the form of credits, just the deposit back that they have charged us with.

According to Yamaha they can charge us back, but that will never stand up. Like I said they can't make the customer keep a bike for any length of time.

Tony Orihuela

Yamaha Sportscenter

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony - The way I understand it, they don't actually pay you back the $500, but credit your parts account the $500. I suppose thats splitting hairs, but is that true?

Thanks for all your time and effort to give us the "real scoop".

You are an invaluable resource to this board.

Tony,Thanks for your input on this - nice to have the perspective of a dealership. 

It doesn't say that it can't be done, it just says that the dealer will be charged for any credits.  What does that mean?

The first sentence references the 'Priority Delivery deposit credit'.  Is that the $500 that is put down when a customer makes an order?  The last sentence also references 'credits'.  Am I interpreting this correctly in that, if a dealer goes by the book and collects a $500 deposit from a customer, then Yamaha will provide the dealer with a $500 credit?  If that's the case, is the dealer basically foregoing the $500 credit if the warranty info changes in the first 6 months?  If so, I guess that could simply be made up in the margin at which the bike is sold.  In other words, instead of allowing negotiations to take place that would take $800 off of the MSRP, perhaps the dealer would only allow $300 off of the MSRP.

So, if I put my $500 down, bought a bike, and sold it 1 month later, the dealer gets penalized?  Makes no sense to me.
You have it wrong. The customer gives a $500 deposit and Yamaha takes the deposit from the dealer. When the customer takes delivery he pays the dealer the agreed amount less the $500 deposit he paid to the dealer. When the bike is registered to the person who the bike is ordered for Yamaha will them give the deposit back to the dealer. This will then give the dealer the price agreed upon in the beginning. We are not getting additional money in the form of credits, just the deposit back that they have charged us with.

According to Yamaha they can charge us back, but that will never stand up. Like I said they can't make the customer keep a bike for any length of time.

Tony Orihuela

Yamaha Sportscenter
I think we're saying the same thing, you just said it a whole lot better than I did (plus, I left out the step about the dealer giving the deposit to Mama Yamaha).

So, again, if they don't register the warranty to the person who the bike was ordered for, they simply don't get the $500 credit, right? It's not that they can't, it's just that they don't get the $500 back. Or am I still missing it?

What happens to the person who has placed an order and changes his/her mind? That is, can the dealer refund the $500 deposit and resale the bike to a customer on a waiting list?

Regards,

Shane

P.S. No I AM NOT CANCELING MY 2006 AE!

default_black%20eye.gif

Tony Orihuela

Yamaha Sportscenter
Thanks for the input and explanation, if he had expalined it the same way as you did, I would not have been so harsh, however, what you refer to as a fiasco, I see as capitalisim at it's finest.

Screw Yamaha and thier pathetic PDP, if I wanted a bike in March, I would order it in March, not 6 months before.

And yeah, I was lucky enough to walk into a showroom in October of 2004 and see a shiny new 2005 FJR1300 sitting there with a for sale tag on it, and rode it home an hour later.

Did I care that others had to wait to get thiers, hell no, I didn't come up with the insanely stupid PDP program, so don't shoot the messanger.

Had I had to wait, I wouldn't have got it plain and simple, and Yamaha wouldn't have cared either as they are still selling all that they have made as far as I can see.

Maybe some dealers have some still sitting around, again, not my problem.

Maybe Yamaha have got it right and every other manufacturer has it wrong, only time will tell, this wouldn't be the first time I have "bitten my nose to spite my face" so to speak

Being an Ex-pat. Englishman and seeing what is available to other World markets makes me wonder if Yamaha even take the North American market for this product seriously.

Skippy

Being an Ex-pat. Englishman and seeing what is available to other World markets makes me wonder if Yamaha even take the North American market for this product seriously.
See my post above. Short answer, No. My opinion only, I've been wrong before but it doesn't seem to stop me.

Tony - The way I understand it, they don't actually pay you back the $500, but credit your parts account the $500. I suppose thats splitting hairs, but is that true?
Thanks for all your time and effort to give us the "real scoop".

You are an invaluable resource to this board.
You are exactly right. I just owe $500 less on my parts bill!

Regards,

Tony

Tony Orihuela

Yamaha Sportscenter
I think we're saying the same thing, you just said it a whole lot better than I did (plus, I left out the step about the dealer giving the deposit to Mama Yamaha).

So, again, if they don't register the warranty to the person who the bike was ordered for, they simply don't get the $500 credit, right? It's not that they can't, it's just that they don't get the $500 back. Or am I still missing it?
Correct! If the dealer does not warranty register the bike in the name of the original person the deposit is forfeited and Yamaha keeps it. This is why people that purchased one off of a dealers floor had the bike already registered in another name so the dealer could get their deposit back that the dealer put up when the bike was ordered as there was no real customer in the first place.

There are more rules to this as well that have not been disclosed that requires the dealer to pay the bike off of their floorplan within 30 days also.

Regards,

Tony

default_black%20eye.gif

Tony Orihuela

Yamaha Sportscenter
Thanks for the input and explanation, if he had expalined it the same way as you did, I would not have been so harsh, however, what you refer to as a fiasco, I see as capitalisim at it's finest.

Screw Yamaha and thier pathetic PDP, if I wanted a bike in March, I would order it in March, not 6 months before.

And yeah, I was lucky enough to walk into a showroom in October of 2004 and see a shiny new 2005 FJR1300 sitting there with a for sale tag on it, and rode it home an hour later.

Did I care that others had to wait to get thiers, hell no, I didn't come up with the insanely stupid PDP program, so don't shoot the messanger.

Had I had to wait, I wouldn't have got it plain and simple, and Yamaha wouldn't have cared either as they are still selling all that they have made as far as I can see.

Maybe some dealers have some still sitting around, again, not my problem.

Maybe Yamaha have got it right and every other manufacturer has it wrong, only time will tell, this wouldn't be the first time I have "bitten my nose to spite my face" so to speak

Skippy
Yamaha didn't plan on bringing this bike to this market for whatever reason. The PDP program allowed them to try this market to see if the bike would sell and sell it did. This program has allowed dealers such as myself to have an unlimited supply available to us to sell and with that we were able to deep discount this model. If the bikes were allocated like the rest of the models, you wouldn't see the prices available to the public that have been posted if the dealer network got one or two for the year!

Am I a big fan of the PDP program? Not really, but the reality of it is I wouldn't have sold 30 FJR's otherwise which I hope will help to increase my allocation on other sport bikes that we desperately need.

Tony

Being a newbie to this forum and the FJ (as I don't have my first one yet) I spoke with my dealer (Yamaha of Sylacauga)about 10 days ago to see if he could order one for my friend thinking of dumping his BMW RT. His response was; He could as of 10 days ago (after the Jan cutoff BTW) still take the $500 dep and place on the guaranteed reception list for an 06 but the order had to be place ASAP. Otherwise, it was take the $500 and get placed on Yamaha's wish list for cancellations and the money would be refunded if an FJ could not be delivered.

Also, to Scab I am in Alabaster, Al. I had not found this forum prior to ordering and the info about D&H. All of the dealers in B'ham started at msrp and went up from there for assembly, shipping, etc. I paid $12,700 + tax with a free in-stock helmet of my choice. Contact me and we'll do Cheaha or 29 Dreams.

Any other central Alabamians out there?

For those counting ordered Dec 15th, and supposed to take delivery first of April.

One of the main reasons I made the decision to purchase my '05 was because it was on the dealer floor- no waiting required. I had heard a rumor that some were around, which is the only reason I stopped at the dealer in the first place. I had zero interest in the PDP program, and I mean ZERO, nada, none. In my opinion, the concept of waiting several months for the product to be delivered is just plain bullshit for the consumer.

I can appreciate the ability of the PDP to help out the dealers, but if the consumer has to wait then they should at least be able to choose from the full range of colors, and perhaps factory installed options like heated grips, cruise control, etc. Offering the custom options would make waiting more palatable, but if all I get is the cookie cutter choices, then waiting is out of the question.

Just my .02

I can appreciate the ability of the PDP to help out the dealers, but if the consumer has to wait then they should at least be able to choose from the full range of colors, and perhaps factory installed options like heated grips, cruise control, etc. Offering the custom options would make waiting more palatable, but if all I get is the cookie cutter choices, then waiting is out of the question.
Just my .02
2247302-plus1.gif

If a great suggestion is made and no factory reps read about it, does it make a noise? - Buddha

One of the main reasons I made the decision to purchase my '05 was because it was on the dealer floor- no waiting required. I had heard a rumor that some were around, which is the only reason I stopped at the dealer in the first place. I had zero interest in the PDP program, and I mean ZERO, nada, none. In my opinion, the concept of waiting several months for the product to be delivered is just plain bullshit for the consumer.

Just my .02
Your not waiting any longer than those who are waiting on the new FZ1 your just guaranteed to get one! My 1st FZ1 is scheduled for April and we are only getting 2 of this model. The new R6 has just started shipping in last month or so. The bikes are being released at about the same time as the rest of the sport bike line the only difference is you are guaranteed delivery of this model if you place a deposit.

Regards,

Tony Orihuela

lotecredneck/Tony,

Thanks for sharing the info and a dealers perspective. Clearly the FJR came to the USA because the 'presold' method. It doesn't take long visit to Europe and/or Asia to see that the USA gets less than half of the world's model choices [bikes or cars]. :(

I look forward to meeting you in person when I pickup my FJR later this year. :D

Rublenoon

aka: Young

lotecredneck/Tony,
Thanks for sharing the info and a dealers perspective.  Clearly the FJR came to the USA because the 'presold' method.  It doesn't take long visit to Europe and/or Asia to see that the USA gets less than half of the world's model choices [bikes or cars].  :(

I look forward to meeting you in person when I pickup my FJR later this year.  :D

Rublenoon

aka: Young
If you look at the Europe site you will see that we have models that they don't get. This is simply what is popular in each country. We have a passion for a particular type of bike and that passion isn't neccesarily shared by the majority here in the U.S. Cruisers are still the big thing here in the U.S. and it hasn't shown any sign of waivering. Until that changes the manufacturers will continue to feed the U.S. market a steady dose of cruisers.

The manufacurers look at market segments and what manufacturers are the major players in a particular segment and then weigh the evidence to see if the cost of bringing a new model to our country will be beneficial to them. Meeting EPA standards is an expensive proposition!

For arguments sake let say that the Adventure Touring segment sells 2800 bikes per year in the U.S. (I have no idea this is strictly hypothetical) and the manufacturers are BMW with 2 models, Suzuki with 2 models, Kawasaki with 1 model and Triumph with 1 model. This means that if the sales were distributed evenly which they are NOT then that leaves each model a total sales number of 467 units per year!

This would not be cost effectiveI don't believe in the eyes of the manufacturer. The sport touring segment has shown some signs of growth in the past few years, but not the numbers that will excite the manufacturers to bring a lot of this type model to the U.S.

Look at the Kawasaki Concours, it has remained basically unchanged since it's inception and Honda has just recently changed the ST which remained essentially unchanged for 10 years. Both of these are great bikes, there just wasn't enough demand to justify changes every few years like there is in the cruiser and sport bike segments. BMW continues to change their models as this is a company that basically only builds this type of bike and has created a niche market.

This is just my .02 worth. :D

Regards,

Tony Orihuela