Yami Dealers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom,
I sold Al his LE and just sold him another R1 as a donor bike. :D I ride at the Ar Gap whenever I get a chance, but don't seem to have a lot of time anymore.

....Are you going to the opening day ride? I made it last year, but was late and didn't really see anyone but Al. We are planning on going this year, but I am staying in Branson as there is better food :D and it's till close enough to make the rides.

Hope to see you there.

Regards,

Tony Orihuela

Yamaha Sportscenter
Tony,

Keep me in mind if any of your pre-orders change their minds.

Not sure about the opening ride - St. Patrick's day in Key West is the "Walk of Shame" an event I usually attend but we'll see......

My attempt to be friendly - My wife and I have a cabin (we call it "The Dog House")at Theodosia Marina on Bull Shoals Lake that will sleep 4 or 5 comfortably. There's beer in the fridge and it is in the heart of the Mo./Ar. Ozarks. We offer it free of charge to motorcyclists in the area as a base of ops and HSTA, Ar-Gap, and other's have used it.

Feel free to drop me a line or call if any of you are in the area and want to use it.

Tom

(417) 273-2067

[email protected]

Not meant to be unfriendly at all.  You can't make a decent buying decision about an '06 by riding previous models.  It's longer, lower, heavier, different aero's, different ergos, it has the detuned French motor...  it's a different bike.  So why risk your ride for something that can't be compared equally?  If the good souls who are offering you a test ride are just being nice, well, good for them.  Really nice guys, I'd say.  But you won't learn anything and it'll be just a joy ride.
Das all ums sayin'... ;)
OK - then we have a friendly disagreement.

If as many have replied - heat isn't an issue and Yamaha didn't NEED to improve cooling, by riding an 05 I would learn whether an 05 is or isn't my cup of tea.

If, for me, it isn't, but whatever my issue is appears to be "improved" by the 06, then that opens another door.

Frankly I have learned something from every ride on a bike and every ride is a joy ride.

Last time out on the Gap I was riding with a stranger on an FZ6. He started asking questions about the ZX-6R and I just said it's easier to swap bikes than answer "relative" questions.

There wasn't a happy ending though: his wife is still looking for me because within 3 days he also had a new black 06 ZX-6R 636. :nono:

That's news to me - where did you pick that up from?

France has a horsepower limit for bikes - 105 or 108 hp, IIRC. They put an air restrictor in the air box that cuts the power (similar to what NASCAR's restrictor plate does). When Yamaha decided to make the '06 a world bike v. market specific versions (one just for the States, one for Europe, one for France, etc), they decided to go with the lowest common denominator, the French model, to help contain costs and simplify the manufacturing, marketing and distributing of the bikes. FJR gets this treatment first, then it'll trickle down into the rest of the line.

Tom, do you happen to know Kieth Goudelock, out of Tulsa?
Glenn
Not sure - at my age I tend to remember Kieth from Tulsa on the Yellow Super Hawk etc.

It's terrible to recognize the helmet and bike but not the name or face. ;) <_<

Does he work with law enforcement?

TPadden, don't take much of this personal. If you have read much on this forum, you will realize you are in the midst of FNG initiation. Heck, I'm still there myself. Newbies gotta get reamed. Builds character.

Steve,
I beg to differ with you! I have stocked the FZ1 and other models such as the XT225, Virago 250, VMax and others knowing full well that they make or may not sell well, but I knew from years past that allocations for new models of similar type will be based on past performances. :rolleyes:

I have sold models at or below cost at times just because it is the nature of the business I am in. Yamaha will pretty much always give a "NEW" model to anybody that wants one, but the FZ1 is not a new model it's just going into it's second generation. :D

I'm sorry you don't agree, but this is the way it is in this business and not just with Yamaha. I am a Polaris dealer in another location and the same applies with them as well. A good friend of mine is a Honda dealer and his allocations of certain models are based upon his orders of undesirable models. This is not an uncommon practice.
Tony, thank you for your very kind response, and I would like to modify my earlier comment since it appears the practice is bullshit rather than your answer. We have had a lot motorcycle dealerships go under in this state and it usually for a pretty basic reason -- they couldn't make enough profit on the bikes they were given to sell. I don't think it is cherry picking for a dealer to limit his orders to the bikes he knows he can sell at a profit and if the manufactures are forcing dealers to take bikes they don't want then that is just plain wrong and it is demonstrating a much deeper problem -- a major disconnect between production and demand.

Dealers in the northern half of the US are faced with another problem -- the riding season is only 6-7 months long and the period when new bikes are selling is much shorter. In my area the dealers get pretty nervous around the beginning of July when they have new bikes sitting on their floor because they know the bikes are going to be very difficult to sell before the next riding season. Some years sport bikes are hot, the next year not. Its somewhat of a crap shoot every year even when the dealer has control over his inventory, when a dealer has to take bikes he doesn't think he can sell makes it makes it much worse. At least with the low interest rates the flooring costs aren't as bad as they used to be but when a bike sits on the floor for a year and has to be sold at a loss it hurts both the dealer and the customers -- and it really does not have to be that way.

-Steve

MCRIDER007 Posted on Feb 21 2006, 08:21 PM<snip>

the practice is bullshit....We have had a lot motorcycle dealerships go under in this state and it usually for a pretty basic reason -- they couldn't make enough profit on the bikes they were given to sell. I don't think it is cherry picking for a dealer to limit his orders to the bikes he knows he can sell at a profit and if the manufactures are forcing dealers to take bikes they don't want then that is just plain wrong and it is demonstrating a much deeper problem -- and it really does not have to be that way
You're right, it doesn't -- the dealer can go into some other line of work where he may not have to work so hard. I disagree -- it is cherry picking you describe and it amounts to the tail wagging the dog. Your plan would have the dealers dictating what product is for sale (or worse, the buyers). I definitely prefer a company with a background like Yamaha designing my motorcycles. The real problem is certainly not full-line dealers like Tony -- but, the dealers who merely want to be order takers and just make the easy sale. The good dealer will have product knowledge and try to put the customer on the right bike for a stronger future for the industry (the long-run). Not just follow the whims of fashion and sell whatever's "hot" (the short-run).

TPadden, don't take much of this personal.  If you have read much on this forum, you will realize you are in the midst of FNG initiation.  Heck, I'm still there myself.  Newbies gotta get reamed.  Builds character.
After 30 years of riding bikes my wife finally shamed me into getting my first real crotch rocket - she actually said I ought to get one before I need a trike! :eek:

One of the things I enjoy about it is the attitudes I find on the Ninja (Kawiforums) that I've never experienced before - even from my 2 sons who have motorcycles. It amazes me how 17/18 year olds with 110HP Rockets for their first bikes talk to each other. After the flames die down they still seem to remain friends though.

Please sir - may I have another??? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right, it doesn't -- the dealer can go into some other line of work where he may not have to work so hard. I disagree -- it is cherry picking you describe and it amounts to the tail wagging the dog. Your plan would have the dealers dictating what product is for sale (or worse, the buyers).....
Let me see if I understand you: first it is bad for dealers to choose their product then it is worse for the customers to choose????? Guess it's either the manufacturers or government who dictate .......

I can see why this is a touchy subject for you guys. Here in the country the choice is usually limited to ATV's, Cruisers, or Jetski's - but that is just capitalism. In the age of computers and UPS etc. it is pretty easy for dealers to move products around to meet needs that aren't the norm for their area.

All this aside given the choice of not having a product available and pre-orders for non mainstream products I can see the advantages of the pre-order policy. Overall though, I see it as a direction I hope motorcycle manufacturers don't generally go.

Isn't "manufacturers not listening to customers" how the import brands were able to get established in this country? Remember the big gas-guzzler cars and the gas crisis? Enter-Asian built cars. Now, what's the norm? The big three ain't the only players at the table anymore. Maybe in ten years, we'll all be riding Chinese bikes.

That being said, I can understand why Yami started the FJR in the US in this fasion. It was not a "given" that the bike would sell. However, should this system last? And, for how long?

Tom,
I sold Al his LE and just sold him another R1 as a donor bike. :D   I ride at the Ar Gap whenever I get a chance, but don't seem to have a lot of time anymore.

....Are you going to the opening day ride? I made it last year, but was late and didn't really see anyone but Al.  We are planning on going this year, but I am staying in Branson as there is better food :D   and it's till close enough to make the rides.

Hope to see you there.

Regards,

Tony Orihuela

Yamaha Sportscenter
Tony,

Keep me in mind if any of your pre-orders change their minds.

Not sure about the opening ride - St. Patrick's day in Key West is the "Walk of Shame" an event I usually attend but we'll see......

My attempt to be friendly - My wife and I have a cabin (we call it "The Dog House")at Theodosia Marina on Bull Shoals Lake that will sleep 4 or 5 comfortably. There's beer in the fridge and it is in the heart of the Mo./Ar. Ozarks. We offer it free of charge to motorcyclists in the area as a base of ops and HSTA, Ar-Gap, and other's have used it.

Feel free to drop me a line or call if any of you are in the area and want to use it.

Tom

(417) 273-2067

[email protected]
Tom,

I appreciate the offer, but there are several couples going up for the event.

As for an FJR, I have one guy that has cancelled, but I haven't done anything with it yet. My FJR will arrive in March and if you like you are welcome to ride it and then decide if you want one. :D I also have an extra "AE" model I got from another dealer that ordered an additonal and then decided he didn't want it.

Regards,

Tony Orihuela

Yamaha Sportscenter

That being said, I can understand why Yami started the FJR in the US in this fasion. It was not a "given" that the bike would sell. However, should this system last? And, for how long?
Hi end cars and even tractor trailers have forever been a order to your spec kind of deal. On big trucks you order the size of axle, heated fuel tanks, engine, sleeper etc.

I wonder if people would like the pdp better if it also included some selection.

Ordering color, exhaust, built in gps, powerlets, selection of aftermarket seats like say yamaha paired up with Russell, a true custom bike...

Of course this would come with a price tag.

I don't know how it works, but if you watch the Honda television ads, it seems they are trying to do exactly that with the VTX. Offering you the option of purchasing the bike in a more personalized form than the norm. Kinda cool to pick and choose.

As for an FJR, I have one guy that has cancelled, but I haven't done anything with it yet. My FJR will arrive in March and if you like you are welcome to ride it and then decide if you want one. :D I also have an extra "AE" model I got from another dealer that ordered an additonal and then decided he didn't want it.
Regards,

Tony Orihuela

Yamaha Sportscenter
Tony,

I couldn't ask for a better offer. I know it isn't easy for dealers to set up test rides and my policy of not buying anything I haven't tested may not be reasonable but my other policy of NEVER getting rid of a bike with less than 20K on it means I have to "dance with the one that brung me" :haha: ....

Just so you know; in my lifetime I've only "test" rode 3 bikes at a dealer that I didn't buy; 2 were cruisers and the third was a Buell. On two of the occasions I just happened to be in the dealer and he insisted I take a bike for test and on the third I was looking at a Honda ACE and decided it wasn't what I was looking for but later returned - test rode a Valkyrie; and still have it.

Also, I understand the "special order" of some high-end cars and especially large trucks, considering their specialized duties in the field. But, I really don't put the FJR in this category. It is a sport-touring bike. They have 2 models. It would be nice to walk into dealerships and see these bikes. If there were some extremely modified versions...this I could see the special order.

The whole pre-order thing requires a lot of planning and prior knowledge on the part of the customer. Heck, when it was time to order, I didn't even know the bike existed!

Again, I understand why the FJR was started in the US this way. I just think it will be detrimental to Yami in the long run to continue this system once the bike has proven it is a desirable comodity.

What about the customer that only discovers the virtues of this bike after orders have closed? I guess he/she will have to buy a Honda.

Woohoo, take him him up on it Tony. I love it there.

Tom, I will be camping at Oakland Park on Bull Shoals in June(no bike) and at Norfork in August (06AE). Perhaps we could meet for a cold beer and you could point me to some decent riding areas around the lakes?

Thanks,

Glen

That's news to me - where did you pick that up from?

France has a horsepower limit for bikes - 105 or 108 hp, IIRC. They put an air restrictor in the air box that cuts the power (similar to what NASCAR's restrictor plate does). When Yamaha decided to make the '06 a world bike v. market specific versions (one just for the States, one for Europe, one for France, etc), they decided to go with the lowest common denominator, the French model, to help contain costs and simplify the manufacturing, marketing and distributing of the bikes. FJR gets this treatment first, then it'll trickle down into the rest of the line.
Sure would like to see where that is mentioned - I've not seen any articles to that effect - all indicate the powerplant remains the same - the 145HP motor that was in last year's model - just a new curved radiator and the bodywork changes to allow better air management for the rider. Where did you get your information?