Yes, Yamaha *IS* the most reliable brand out there..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF Don? How come that guy looks Mexican? Are you making a Mexican joke? If you are, 6000 of my primos and I are gonna go to your casita and kick you right in the culo ese...

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like this board contains more than one racial sensitivity challenged individual. The responses here have been very consistent with racist ignorance. The correct response by TopSpeed would have been to at least acknowledge the slur. Instead he chose to use the defense that "others are doing it." Of course that makes it perfectly fine to go along with the others making the same mistake. Not!

There are certain words in our English language that are NOT ok for use by people who are not part of that racial group. As a half Asian (not Oriental) I take offense to the term used.

For your education, here are other ethnic slurs (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs) you are probably utilizing in your vocabulary and offending many people around you. Do what you want, offend who you want, but own up to your offenses and don't hide behind other's mistakes as justification of your poor decisions.

To think, my brother-in-law refers to me as a Yank and I didn't know that I should be offended. Words aside, what do you think was in Top's heart when he used that term?

Put this hijack to bed and get on with more useful things like bashing BMW and Harleys. They survey 4k people and draw conclusions without all the variables sorted out. How many miles were on the BMWs? Many Beemer owners are riders, so may have many more miles on their bikes than the average V-Max owner.

The
padlock.jpg
is sneaking up on this thread for more than one reason.

WTF Don? How come that guy looks Mexican? Are you making a Mexican joke? If you are, 6000 of my primos and I are gonna go to your casita and kick you right in the culo ese...
ON TOPIC: Yes even though I have put over 500K on Beemers since March of 1969, the Yamaha Motorcycles have indeed been the most trouble free and reliable I've ever owned!

OFF TOPIC: AJ just send those pinche cabron Mexico Nuevo Primos over to Chandler ese, nothing tougher than we Irish-Mexican Zonie Vato Locos! Es Verdad! Suerte, Amigo!

irish-mexico-poster-idea.jpg

To think, my brother-in-law refers to me as a Yank and I didn't know that I should be offended. Words aside, what do you think was in Top's heart when he used that term?
Put this hijack to bed and get on with more useful things like bashing BMW and Harleys. They survey 4k people and draw conclusions without all the variables sorted out. How many miles were on the BMWs? Many Beemer owners are riders, so may have many more miles on their bikes than the average V-Max owner.

The [img=[URL="https://addsomesocial.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/padlock.jpg%5D"]https://addsomesocial.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/padlock.jpg][/URL] is sneaking up on this thread for more than one reason.
I think, at least I hope, he did not intend to offend. The funny thing though, the offense it's on the receiver's end and not the speaker's. Just be aware, own the mistake and try not to do it again.

As for bashing BMW and HD owners, I'm all for that!

I think the CR statistics (and I use that term loosely) are usually attained from recent sales, and measure satisfaction during the sale and warranty period, the same way JD Powers satisfaction surveys are.

That will have the effect of filtering out the longer term owners/riders and accentuating the guy who sells the bike when the warranty runs out.

FWIW - "Oriental" doesn't seem to be on that extensive list of politically incorrect racial terms.

The [img=[URL="https://addsomesocial.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/padlock.jpg%5D"]https://addsomesocial.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/padlock.jpg][/URL] is sneaking up on this thread for more than one reason.
I think, at least I hope, he did not intend to offend. The funny thing though, the offense it's on the receiver's end and not the speaker's. Just be aware, own the mistake and try not to do it again.

The slang or inappropriate wording was "Nipp" or "Nipz" which I will deem as a word that is degrading and I won't use it but only for reference. So now there is multiple bad words? LOL ...Or is Nip-Bike Okay whereas Jap-Bike is not?

Personally you can think whatever you wish about anyone here (or anywhere for that matter), but the Jap Bike "term" will live on for a very long time, like it or not. BTW- Jap bikes are the most reliable! And this coming from a person who wears both a Jap-Bike Hat and a Bov-Bike Propeller hat!

And, I'm glad you're OK with bashing certain things
wink.png

The slang or inappropriate wording was "Nipp" or "Nipz" which I will deem as a word that is degrading and I won't use it but only for reference. So now there is multiple bad words? LOL ...Or is Nip-Bike Okay whereas Jap-Bike is not?

Personally you can think whatever you wish about anyone here (or anywhere for that matter), but the Jap Bike "term" will live on for a very long time, like it or not. BTW- Jap bikes are the most reliable! And this coming from a person who wears both a Jap-Bike Hat and a Bov-Bike Propeller hat!

BTW, I'm glad you're OK with bashing certain things
wink.png
OFF TOPIC: Being an Irishman I've been called Paddy, Mick, and Fenian Bastard a thousand times. HotRodZilla-AJ calls me: "You Fat Ugly Old Irish Prick"!

ON TOPIC: Here's a very nice video of TopSpeed_1-KJ and Papa Chuy Viejo's new BMW Wasserboxer R1200GSW's being assembled at the Berlin Factory.

BTW, I'm glad you're OK with bashing certain things
wink.png
OFF TOPIC: Being an Irishman I've been called Paddy, Mick, and Fenian Bastard a thousand times. HotRodZilla-AJ calls me: "You Fat Ugly Old Irish Prick"!

ON TOPIC: Here's a very nice video of TopSpeed_1-KJ and Papa Chuy Viejo's new BMW Wasserboxer R1200GSW's being assembled at the Berlin Factory.

haha, I wish. My bank account is in skeleton mode! I will just stare, drool and be envious of your new toy Mr. Stanley.

And, I'm glad you're OK with bashing certain things
wink.png
Whenever an ethnic group or race is generalized and is felt to be derogatory by the subject group, which is the case with the noun or adjective "Jap", others may no longer use it in any context other than strictly reference situations. In your case, "Japanese" is the correct and non-racist term. If you are white and don't have a problem using the term "Cracker" then you can use "Cracker made Harley." If you do not understand the difference, I cannot help but feel you are not willing to see the cultural issues brought up by ethnic slurs and will assume you are too set in your ways to understand how they hurt others.

As for bashing BMW and Harley owners, they made a choice and poking fun at their decision is ok as long as it does not get personal. I would never ride a Harley, but I would a BMW and have owned a BMW 330i before, but as many have indicated the service costs and repair frequency is much worse than Japanese bikes.

Winter has been especially harsh on the forum this year.

Just my opinion: As a child in the '70s my Honda MR50 was referred to as a Jap Bike or Japanese POS. I rode it constantly and nothing ever broke. Nothing ever wore out except spark plugs. The term "Jap Bike" gradually took on a new meaning for me. I saw what was happening to the AMF owned Harleys, and I got to ride on the back of a brand new Honda CB900 Custom. "Jap Bikes" became the Gold Standard. "Jap Bike" meant a Good Bike. It meant quality, reliability, and speed. It was not a term I used personally, but I did not think of it as an insult, rather as a compliment.

While there are ways to use such a term to deliberately offend, I am certain that TopSpeed did not have that intent. He is outspoken, he is opinionated. He is also a very good guy.

Back on topic: While I think the Consumer Report is good free advertisement, I am not convinced of its accuracy. I believe in the Yamaha reliability. Otherwise I would not have pushed Dear Old Dad to buy one.

On topic. I finally read the whole article and find the difference between types of bikes to be somewhat opposite of what each brand manufactures. Harley, the worst reliability, builds primarily cruiser types, the best reliability. Would others agree that cruisers are probably ridden the least so if you looked at miles between repairs, Harley would look even worse than they are in this article? Does this mean if ridden as many miles as other types of bikes, almost all Harleys would have problems within the first 4 years?

I'm not sure about motleyfool's conclusion that the accessories on other bikes are the biggest issue, but I believe the accessories on Harleys could be suspect whether installed by a dealer or the owner.

Slurs are something that is somewhat hard to comprehend. Some euphemisms for a race or culture sound downright derogatory and yet the culture embraces it as their own. Coon Ass and HOGs (keeping it somewhat on topic) come to mind.

And then others like the one in question here (Jap) merely an abbreviation of the real word (Japanese), and yet causes much anguish in that target community. I think that was also the case for "Nip", short for Nipponese, Nippon being the native name for Japan. But because someone used those abbreviations during a time of conflict, now they are derogatory?

I guess if the person in that subculture feels offended by it, it is deemed offense, even if there is no good basis for that feeling. Such is political correctitude.

Now, in some circles, the name "Fred" has been associated with some lame guy posting on YouTube who speeds up his voice and tries to make it funny, but it isn't funny, it's just lame. and I find that term offensive. So... from now on I'd prefer to be called by my proper name: Throat Warbler Mangrove.

And in case anyone cares, Throat Warbler Mangrove rides a highly reliable Yamaha, an equally reliable Suzuki, and a sometimes reliable Aprilia.

TWM Thanks you.

No meant harm to anyone on my end and, it wasn't used in a bad slang term kind of a way. I hear it so often I really didn't (and still don't) think anything of it. Heck my Harley friends (whom we kid as Hardley Davidson) use it in every other sentence when looking at our Japanese bikes ;) . Now those guys may use it in a more offensive way?, but I guess I'm so immune to it that it just passes me right by as the norm.

I apologize to any it offends. I'm so use to it in the motorcycle world, it will probably pop back up (now & then)... so be prepared! and it's nothing racial at all.

So Myself, Don, AJ and the rest of us forum clowns... try 2 be racial slur-free correct (correctomungo for you SW fellers)

@Redfish Thnx bro, u were right in how I was using the term and I am pretty opinionated (like most here). It's all good, hopefully we will all tip a cold beer to this someday and talk about what we all have in common.... riding!

-KJ

Status
Not open for further replies.