Your favorite Scotch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm.... There are many excellent scotch whiskeys on the market, though some a bit more excellent than others. ;) Personally - and on those rare ocassion when I actually drink scotch, I'm very partial to Talisker 10 year-old Isle of Skye single malt (and if I catch anyone drinking this with more than a single ice cube in their glass, we'll have words... :glare: ).
My real preference however are whiskies that - like GunMD, are a bit more "south of the border". And for that, there can be only one: Casa Noble Anejo. There may be a bottle (or 3) of CN finding its way to NAFO... :dribble:
Perhaps I can manage a bottle of Milagro to NAFO as well...hmmm

Laphroaig 15 year old has to be my favorite, (30 year old is exquisite with a price tag to match if you can find it!).

The Glengoyne 17 year old is an excellent single malt, and I had the time of my life on a guided tour of their distillery a few years ago.

I prefer the oak and vanilla flavor of a great Anejo over the more sharp "snap" of reposado.
I may Gunny, ...Gun, but I'm seeing the need for more research.

I'm on it.

Tequila makes me crazy.
Geezer, I'm guessing it's just one item on that very long list for you.. ;) :lol:

Okay. Back to Scotch. Apologies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm.... There are many excellent scotch whiskeys on the market, though some a bit more excellent than others. ;) Personally - and on those rare ocassion when I actually drink scotch, I'm very partial to Talisker 10 year-old Isle of Skye single malt (and if I catch anyone drinking this with more than a single ice cube in their glass, we'll have words... :glare: ).
My real preference however are whiskies that - like GunMD, are a bit more "south of the border". And for that, there can be only one: Casa Noble Anejo. There may be a bottle (or 3) of CN finding its way to NAFO... :dribble:
Perhaps I can manage a bottle of Milagro to NAFO as well...hmmm
I'll show you mine if you show me yours..! ;)

BTW: Here's a review of CN Anejo (my apologies to the OP of this thread for the momentary - albeit relevant - hijack...)

CASA NOBLE ANEJO

Special Reserve Extra Aged 100% Blue Agave Tequila NOM-1137 CRT La Cofradia, Jalisco

40% Alcohol

Aged in French oak for five years; the brilliant amber tone is impeccably pure and clean; the nose at opening is rich, almost brandy-like, and oaky with time in the glass, the aroma becomes a bouquet as the oak influence is joined by a mild vegetal component and a background pepperiness the third sniffing pass reveals a soft brininess that complements the pillowy oakiness in the fourth and final whiff, the delicate, perfumy scents of oak resin and vanilla, mature agave, and nut butter unite to form an atypically biscuity tequila bouquet while I actually prefer the nose of the reposado, this one is very pleasing and well-structured; the palate entry is mildly sweet and oaky, but then the midpalate stage explodes with firm, meaty tastes of nut butter, pepper, and light caramel; the finish is long, spirity, and elegant; very nice indeed.

Rating- 4 Stars

(My only concern with this review is the references to "nut butter"... :unsure: )

It's a pity that to most folks tequila is a cheap liquor best consumed quickly with lime and salt licked off the breasts of some drunk college chick at a bar in Cabo. (<sigh> memories...). But fine tequilas, like fine wines and whiskies, are meant to be explored and savored... Except of course at NAFO where it will be perfectly acceptable to throw down a $10.00 shot of something good like it was cheap well liquor. Remember: Good liquor improves the quality of a hangover! :rolleyes:

Tullibardine, made in Ireland. Too bad for me the distillery has shut its doors. This bottle I have is probably the last I will ever have. Only my closest friends will have a chance at a nip. I drink Jamison Irish whiskey for my more regular nips. Knob Creek is pretty tasty too.

Only my closest friends will have a chance at a nip.
Well, you're going to have about 200 of your closest FJR-ridin' friends on your doorstep in less than 4 months, so I'd go easy on that bottle between now and then..! :lol:

No Scotch for this kid....
but I do like good tequila.

milagro-anejo_4350_r2.jpg
+1 on the Tequila. Never tried that one, may try it if I can find it.

I usually drink Patron anejo or Don Julio repazado (not sure I spelled repazato correctly, but who cares).

For some reason, the Don Julio repazado tasts better than the anejo to me.

My favorite is the bottle I am on now, Cragganmore Single Speyside Malt 12 years old. Good stuff.

Isn't tequila really medical waste??

Isn't tequila really medical waste??

Only if it says Jose Cuervo on the label...

For Scotch and the Irish whiskey's:

Some good picks here, will try to sample a few that were suggested. My tastes lean more to the "lighter" less "peaty" brews.

This also goes for the tequila's, as I also favor the repasodo over the anejo.

As for scotch being over rated and over priced, I think I have seen some pretty freaking expensive tequila's on the market, but if you really want to blow alot of cash, you should look to cognac. I saw a bottle with a $3,200.00 price tag on it...wonder what that works out to per drink?

Perhaps those that imbibe might also mention what cigar they like to accompany their drink of choice......

KM

I'm particular to the Balvanie - various years in the barrel. Seems smoother to me than others. If you want something out of the ordinary, try one of the Islay scotches. If you like eating peat right out of the ground, you'll love these!

You realize all your stinky scotch is made with our leftover barrels from bourbon!

If you like scotch try this:

bookers.jpg

You may never drink scotch again!

Or if you want something a little cheaper, try this:

hayden.jpg

Also very good.

Seriously, I like scotch (Glenlivet probably one of my favs), but once I moved to KY and had real bourbon, JD and scotch are rearely found in my house any more.

They are all good. Well, except this Caol Ila I had once. I get mine here: Full Strength. Been a member for about 13 years. If I'm running cheap I'll just go with Famous Grouse. That's just a blend of Highland Park and The MacCallan. It'll do in a pinch.

They are all good. Well, except this Caol Ila I had once. I get mine here: Full Strength. Been a member for about 13 years. If I'm running cheap I'll just go with Famous Grouse. That's just a blend of Highland Park and The MacCallan. It'll do in a pinch.
My dad switched from Dewar's to Famous Grouse a while back. That's all he drinks now.

You realize all your stinky scotch is made with our leftover barrels from bourbon!
Seriously, I like scotch (Glenlivet probably one of my favs), but once I moved to KY and had real bourbon, JD and scotch are rearely found in my house any more.
Excellent! Our Spring Ride is to Kentucky this year and we wanted to find some American distillers while we were down there. Bourbon County here we come!

Thanks