ZX-14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spoke to a contact @ Kawasaki, would not let the cat out of the bag as to whether there would be an 07 Concours or not (have been kind of looking at one for the second house since I don't trailere the FJR down there often. He did say that there will be an announce ment on 9/21 about this issue. Posed the question of the ZX14 sport tour but again wouldn't comment either way. He did say that the Connie is one of the all time best sellers will a very loyal following....

Anyone here have(or previously owned) a Connie? If so what did you think? Bike would be mostly used on highway, not aggressively and just can't afford a FJR to sit most of the time, plus Connie price w/ the 3 yr warranty extendable to 6 years plus the excellent interest rate has really got me a lookin.

Here's a good poll...

Which will come first?

Redesigned Connie from Kawi

or

New Blackbird from Honda

:ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Spoke to a contact @ Kawasaki, would not let the cat out of the bag as to whether there would be an 07 Concours or not (have been kind of looking at one for the second house since I don't trailere the FJR down there often. He did say that there will be an announce ment on 9/21 about this issue. Posed the question of the ZX14 sport tour but again wouldn't comment either way. He did say that the Connie is one of the all time best sellers will a very loyal following....Anyone here have(or previously owned) a Connie? If so what did you think? Bike would be mostly used on highway, not aggressively and just can't afford a FJR to sit most of the time, plus Connie price w/ the 3 yr warranty extendable to 6 years plus the excellent interest rate has really got me a lookin.

I had the first year Connie (1986). It was a good all around bike it represented what the FJR represents today. If a top speed of about 140mph (speedometer reading) and a not so lean lean angle suits your driving style then I say go for it. It still represents a lot of bang for the buck. Probably the most bang per buck of any motorcycle available today. It's comfortable but has an old school feel. I still ride a 1987 Yamaha Venture Royale that's kept me from buying a GoldWing for years. So consider the source. I feel that the 1987 Venture has SOUL that the GoldWing is missing. Back to the Connie. The 1000 CC motor that was derived from the legendary KZ-1000 is almost bullet proof. Very reliable indeed. Given the right circumstances I'd have no problem buying another one. Your situation would justify me buying one. Even though this should have been a seperate post...... I hope I've helped you out in your decision. I'm certain if you search you'll find a Connie Forum out there.

FJRZON-Say it aint so my blue brother. :blink: Was looking for you at 2 wheel tuesday-watch for a 2001 CBR 929 Erion Racing Edition.
Brewtown, sorry old “Blue Brother”…I am now officially bleeding “Alien Green” lol. :D Look for my 14 all dressed up in bad-ass black @ 2WTs. Should be there tomorrow night. I love this bike. Congrats on your new Fireblade!

To those looking at the 14, quite simply, this bike can be anything you want it to be. Kawi did there homework. For the sport-touring crowd (here) the aftermarket has ergo adjustments (foot peg lowers, bar risers etc), almost any hard bag (Givi, Krauser, Hepco & Becker etc) can be used with SW-Motech quick-release plumbing. Krauser is in the process of making a top-box this fall. The 14 puts the SPORT in touring. Get one.

It gets poor milage, about 34-36 MPG with a 5.8 gal tank...
I'd say that was pretty good mileage. Hell, that's what I average on my FJR. This month's CW talked about the ZX-14 and the 'busa. The ECU is responsible for the reduced performance below 6K, if you can call sub-10 quarter-mile time 'reduced performance'.

I'd say Kawi has hit one out of the park...

Something must really be wrong with your fjr..... that is really piss poor mileage. I run mine hard and get an absolute minimum of 44.

It gets poor milage, about 34-36 MPG with a 5.8 gal tank...
I'd say that was pretty good mileage. Hell, that's what I average on my FJR. This month's CW talked about the ZX-14 and the 'busa. The ECU is responsible for the reduced performance below 6K, if you can call sub-10 quarter-mile time 'reduced performance'.

I'd say Kawi has hit one out of the park...

Something must really be wrong with your fjr..... that is really piss poor mileage. I run mine hard and get an absolute minimum of 44.
No, I don't think anything is wrong with it. I did 500 miles on it last weekend, with bags lightly loaded, one-up. Before I left I did a TBS, but it wasn't very far off. Changed spark plugs and installed a new air filter. Bike is really running well. Average fuel mileage going across the Oklahoma prairie was 37 mpg, running 80 to 120 mph in open country, and speed limit in towns.

I run Holeshot exhaust, stock air cleaner, and a Power Commander with the O2 sensor disconnected, using the Wally smooth map.

I hear a lot of claims of high fuel mileage with FJRs, but I've never seen it. My '00 CBR929RR averaged 32 to 35 mpg, and my son's '03 CBR600RR does the same, 32 to 35 mpg.

I have gotten over 40 on a couple of tankfuls, but it's a rare occurrence.

I think I just like the torque. :yahoo:

I also get around 4K miles to a rear Avon. Oh, well.

Just for the record, I use the Miles-Between-Fillups method of calculating fuel mileage:

Fill tank

Zero the trip meter

Ride

Fill tank

Record miles and gallons

Zero the trip meter

Calculate mileage

There ain't no other way to calculate fuel mileage. No other way at all. Absolutely no fucking other way to calculate mileage. No computer, no instant calculator, no other way. Oh sure, the Europeans figure it as liters used to travel 100 kilometers, but it is still a quantity of fuel for a given distance.

I run 87 octane unleaded, name-brand gasoline. I'll buy from Exxon, Shell, Texaco, Chevron, BP, or Shamrock (Velero). Hell, I've even run Murphy's (Wal-Mart).

Still, I'm OK with that mileage. I've got a little less that 12K miles on this bike, and I love it. Great machine.

I hear a lot of claims of high fuel mileage with FJRs, but I've never seen it.
If you want, I can send you the Excel spreadsheet I keep track of my MPG with. Over 100 fill ups since I've had the bike, and my average is right at 40 MPG for both highway and city. High was in the 50s, low in the mid 30s... Maybe it's the formulation of the gas in your area.... :huh:

A friend of ours has one and says it lacks power in the low revs do you find the same?

Last edited:
Thanks, Groo, but that's OK. I think the problem is in my wrist: I just love twisting the throttle on the FJR. I have gotten mileage in the 40s before, it's just a rare thing for me. My car is the same way: '03 Mustang Cobra, gets about 13 mpg if you drive it like it's fun. But if I try, I've seen 21 mpg on the highway with it. And that thirsty bastard only runs on Super!

And you could have something on the gas formulation. I'm within 120 miles or so of Dallas, so I could be getting a lot of oxygenated fuel. I don't care. Bike and car runs great, they just suck a lot of gas and go through a lot of rubbers, I mean rubber.

went to go see the 1400 today the black is hot the bars seem a little low .but the bike is hot and got me thinking about something black in my garage

went to go see the 1400 today the black is hot the bars seem a little low .but the bike is hot and got me thinking about something black in my garage
Hey Zorkler (Mike)…go get her done! You already saw this pic…but here is my black 14 with the Oxford TP in place of the speed-hump. Ain’t temptation grand? LOL. :devil:

By the way…the stock bars fit me like a glove…but don’t worry, there are aftermarket risers from Heli and SW-Motech and a few others if need be for you. First, give your body some time to adjust before you do anything. Also, MRA is coming out with a slew of aftermarket windshields that should be available at the end of September. Here’s a link to a distributor for the windscreens: Clicky MRA shields. I will probably order either the “Spoiler” or the”Double Bubble” model in black tint of course. LOL. Many seem to like the Double Bubble for LD high-speed blasts.

Welcome to the dark side. :ph34r:

Steves14.jpg

**** me hard. I love that bike.

No offense to any of you cats, but I think it would better suit my age: 35. You guys always seem to wonder if risers can be put on every bike that comes up for discussion.

I think I should get something low and long while I have no physical ailments.

"Honey..."

-BD

just recived the insurance quote can you belive this $ 3104.00 there out of there minds .
Zorkler & FJRMGM, yes…the rates can be rather astronomical when shopping around. Two words: STATE FARM. They don’t care if it’s a ZX-14, Ural, GSX-R1000, FJR1300 a Harley etc…they charge by the cc, not bike category. They will require your car to be on the policy as well. At least that is the case in my area. Zorkler, you live in a very high insurance risk area…NY! YIKES! As they say…location, location, location. LOL.

Last note Zorkler, the ZX-14 is quieter than the FJR believe it or not with its stock cans. The 14 has a very slight Kawi "rasp" down low but when its on its way...sounds quiet as the wind. Maybe you can swap those hot BlueFlames on the 14? Also heard a guy that had some “2Bros” on his 14 and it sounded absolutely 100 percent ferocious.

**** me hard. I love that bike.
No offense to any of you cats, but I think it would better suit my age: 35. You guys always seem to wonder if risers can be put on every bike that comes up for discussion.

I think I should get something low and long while I have no physical ailments.

"Honey..."

-BD
BrunDog…you go DOG! LOL. Tell the “wifie/honey” it’s time to take her out shopping for something nice for the hell of it. LOL And BAM!…bring that new bad boy home. LOL. Don’t worry…no lubrication required for this beast in your stables! LOL. What’s the worst case scenario? A few nights sleeping in the “DOGSTABLE” next to your new 14? LOL. It’s a win-win situation. LOL.

Come my fallen angels…it’s time to run with the devil. LOL. ;)

Come my fallen angels…it’s time to run with the devil. LOL. ;)
Check you out Steve... on this forum fishing f/ FJR's? You seemed like such a nice boy.