Does Hi-Viz gear really make you more visible to other motorists?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
In another safety oriented thread, a forum member recently said:

I recently read an article saying how high viz gear doesn't make you any more visible to motorists, but I'm not sure how you could miss SouthernCruizer in that jacket.

I know that I have adopted the practice of wearing HiViz yellow/green jackets, especially when I know that I'll be traveling in traffic, less so if I'll be blasting through country or dirt roads. So, clearly I have already developed my own opinion, which was based on such input as the often referenced Hurt Report.

But I have also heard this sort of a reference before from other sources; That HiViz doesn't help at all? We all know it can't possibly help in all circumstances. But just using one's own senses it sure seems hard to discredit that it would work some of the time.

But we should all be open minded enough to consider evidence that shows otherwise. So bring it on... Who has evidence that has proven that wearing HiViz doesn't help at all?

PS - We're really not looking for opinions about fashion or whether you like the way it looks or makes you feel. Just hard documented evidence as to whether it increases your margin of safety at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do construction workers and cops wear when they want to be seen? Black leather? Just saying.

-worney

Just hard documented evidence as to whether it increases your margin of safety at all.
I believe documented evidence is hard to come by. I only know of the Hurt Report from the 70's that accident involvement is "significantly reduced by....the wearing of high visibility yellow, orange or bright red jackets".

That said, I love my Aerostich yellow jacket and new Neotec Borealis. I see people's eyes and heads move to more often than with non Hi Viz.

I quit counting the number of times drivers have walked up to me after I've parked the FJR and told me that my jacket (Hi-Viz tourmaster Transition II0 really stood out and that they really noticed it. I've also noticed drivers getting ready to pull out into traffic in front of me do a double-take and then wait until I have passed before pulling out. That's good enough for me to keep on wearing the jacket and a recently purchased Nolan n-104 in Brilliant Cab Yellow. I draw the line at a bunch of flashing lights like a Christmas tree though.

If a driver is not looking at the road, it doesn't matter what you wear.. I was rear ended wearing a hiviz jacket, hi viz helmet, and had a flashing Whelen TIR LED brake light, all to no avail cuz the moron that hit me was not looking at the road, his phone was more important.

But when I'm on the road, I can spot a rider with hiviz gear from a lot further out than anyone else, especially in a group of riders.

Look at UK cops.. their entire vehicle (car or bike) is covered in hiviz colors and the cops' street jacket is all hiviz.

I think that if everyone wore high viz gear, the effect would potentially be diminished. In a box of apples, only the orange stands out, and visa versa.

Personally, I notice riders with high viz gear, and when wearing my high viz gear, I see drivers react to me. So I wear it.

Valid point about the apples and orange.

I've read where the factor that makes HiViz work isn't it's brilliant color, but rather it is contrast to the background, and the fact that is is an unnatural color means that it is more likely to be in contrast. Unless you happen to be riding past a field full of sunflowers in brilliant sunshine, in which case you'd be better off with a camo jacket.
wink.png

Sure. To the point of OP, there was a study in 2004 that stated:

Reflective or fluorescent clothing contributed to a 37% lower risk.

White helmet versus black is associated with a 24% lower risk.

Daytime lighting is associated with a 27% lower risk.

Scientific and statistical methods of this New Zealand study can be found here:

https://www.bmj.com/content/328/7444/857

The bottom line in this academic study:

"Wearing reflective or fluorescent clothing and white or light coloured helmets and using headlights in daytime could reduce serious injuries or death from motorcycle crashes by up to one third"

Interesting use of could. Check it out, it's a good read.

Besides, bright yellow just looks cool -- just ask a certain forum admin.

Scientific and statistical methods of this New Zealand study can be found here:
https://www.bmj.com/content/328/7444/857

The bottom line in this academic study:

"Wearing reflective or fluorescent clothing and white or light coloured helmets and using headlights in daytime could reduce serious injuries or death from motorcycle crashes by up to one third"
I now know of two actual studies. Thanks.

And sure many more armchair studies will follow besides my own.
wink.png

I've never worn one before, but purchased the Olympia Airglide 3 that should make me look like a huge piece of chartreuse fish bait. I get a lot of attention from the HIDs and Krista LED lights. I respect that clothing can make a difference, but I think that where it counts...oncoming drivers making left turns and drivers pulling out of drives and side-streets, the lights rule.

Chartreuse... it's the new black.

I think you know that I also bought myself and my bride a set of Oly AG3 HiViz at the reduced clearance prices this winter. We had some perfectly good Oly AG2 gear in stealthy silver/pewter color, but... well, you know... we got sucked in by all of the HiViz hype.

I think we are going to... no, no, I know we are going to die! Hopefully a long time from now.

Hope this thread doesn't devalue our used silver airglide jackets. Check the classifieds section soon!

This probably doesn't count but... Walking through my company getting ready to leave I was in full motorcycle gear including Hi-Viz walking down the 6' wide hallway, a fellow worker was walking down the hall toward me. Straight at me. I stopped and stood there while he walked directly into me and was startled to hit me/see me standing there. Hi-Viz don't work if they ain't lookin'

That said, I wear Hi-Viz for all the others that look and especially for the ones that are scantly paying attention because in this case the color may be just enough to get them to notice.

I think that if everyone wore high viz gear, the effect would potentially be diminished. In a box of apples, only the orange stands out, and visa versa.
I've read where the factor that makes HiViz work isn't it's brilliant color, but rather it is contrast to the background, . . .
Very reminiscent of back when daytime running lights came onto the scene. I suppose additional lighting on our bikes countered this.

Mitigating risk... read an article on the UK drivers training using motor cops. The instructor had been hit 2 or 3 times while driving his super high vis FJR and clothes. If someone wants to text and drive then it doesn't matter what you wear.

I think "OM Yellow" helmets work...that's why I got one...to be like Mike. I've also noticed that the "Airboss White" helmets get noticed even more.

I got a Hi-Viz Oly setup last year...I think it works pretty good, but I know there are certain situations where it won't...so that's where lighting comes in.

Then after that, you really hope that the driver looking to turn left in front of you didn't just get an "important text"...or is painting her fingernails.

I've also found that if you've just crossed paths with a negligent fecktard, that a horn plus brights plus "the bird" gets their attention. In fact they usually try to follow you so they can discuss the matter with you.

But I found that on the internet, so that one's probably not true.

2011MAYKALITRIP342.jpg

Maybe It does, but only if the other person is looking. Since you don't know who's looking, it's no guarantee.

You need to ride like you're invisible, hi-vis or no hi-vis.

I do have a white helmet, but a dark suit, with some reflective highlights 'cos tbat's how it came. And I try to ride accordingly.

The white helmet does make me easier to spot by a following rider, it is more easily seen when amongst traffic than a black one, and more so than a hi-vis jacket.

Well studies may show that it may work and I guess if that's what you want then good. Might I suggest is it better not to be seen. Why are most police cruisers black? WHY????? BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT FOLKS TO SEE THEM. "BASTAGES"

Now I may fall under the other ilk here. I don't want to be seen. Most likely my next suit will be black. I know for a fact the PoPo's can't see me coming so now we are at least even in that battle. Black in my opinion has saved me many a ticket. Leave it to me to take the other side.

Dave

bottom line, when it comes to riding motorcycles in traffic, against multi ton vehicles....safety is an illusion. The only true safety is abstinence.
bike.gif

i learned that lesson about 850,000 miles ago on a Honda 750K.