I went to the Redwoods and in my luggage I took ....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riona

Reaction score
I'm planning on my first long distance ride since getting my FJR. I'm thinking of heading out to the Redwoods and Crater Lake for a long weekend in a couple of weekend's time, in company with 6 other riders (all Harley riders ...). We will be staying at motels, not camping.

The question is, what should I be planning to take by way of tools, spares, other equipment ? I'm not that mechanical, so no point carrying tools I don't know how to use, so I'm looking for the "Mr. Obvious" list that starts with "flashlight, rain gear, spare fuses, insurance documents, ...." and stops short of "feeler gauge to reset valve clearances" ..

what are the main causes of breakdowns and the best way to fix ? - jumper cables for a flat battery ? how would I fix a flat tire ? Is it worth carrying a can of WD-40 and a roll of duct tape ?

Just to add a certain amount of fun, I'm making this post into a party game. Each person only gets to add one additional item per post ... and has to wait for at least one other person to post before they can post again ...

I'm starting off ....

I went to the Redwoods and in my luggage I took ...

... spare fuses

OK I'll play along...

...A tire plug kit and a mini compressor/pump.

Or make sure someone in the group has the same. In a group of 1/2 a dozen someone you are riding with should know how to use it.

...a Leatherman FULL size tool.
tonguesmiley.gif

Cuz gurls are always looking for a big tool!

Nice meeting you on Saturday Riona. If you would have mentioned this at Tech Day everyone would have loved to show off what they're pack'n!

--G

OK I'll play along...

...A tire plug kit and a mini compressor/pump.

Or make sure someone in the group has the same. In a group of 1/2 a dozen someone you are riding with should know how to use it.
Plug kit & compressor, if ya got it you won't need it.

More than 100,000 miles on the road between two FJRs and have never been left standing beside that road because one broke

Cell phone with support numbers and/or access to the interwebs to post up here... ;)

Ear plugs

Camera (the redwoods are life altering)

fix-a-flat stuff as mentioned

Rain cover for the bike - damp rump while riding sucks

When I road up to Castlegar, I mainly had fuses, some extra wire, electrical tape, a leatherman, a knife, tire repair kit and the rest was clothes.

Enjoy the heck outta the ride - and make sure to ride the Avenue of the Giants to really see the redwoods!

All you need is a cell phone and a AAA card. I used to carry a ton of tools but never used them. As has been said a compressor and plug kit and a good Leatherman type tool along with the factory tool kit.

Several quarts of motor oil, some of that oil leak fix stuff, a drain pan and a couple of rolls of duct tape. That's the only way you'll get home with six Harleys.
biggrin.png

They have covered it Riona, the only time mine left me stranded was in my drive way! I was lucky as it was a bad started solenoid. You don't here to often of one of those going bad either.

I love you guys !! Wish I was cruising the Redwoods with you instead of the Harley's ...

Camera, tire repair, a good book, AAA card, spare fuses, cell phone, leather-man (why don't they make a leather-girl ?- oh, I checked, they do ... [ref]https://www.leatherman.com/product/Pink_Micra)[/ref] rain wear, bungee cords, something to keep the saddle dry overnight, something to wipe the bugs off my helmet, ...

Riona,

For the bugs use a micro fiber towel and Honda plastic cleaner or Plexus, if you have AAA make sure you have recreational coverage,, reg AAA membership will not cover towing motorcycles, also AMA membership has motorcycle towing. As George said you should have mentioned this at the tech meet, we could have shown you how to plug a tire since George is the Master Pluger.
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to a local beauty supply store and get a small 1 or 2-oz pump bottle to carry windex or I use plain water to use on your visor for the bugs. I even cut up old clean t shirts into 3" squares (about 6 will do) and both fit into the Feejeer glove box. Great for those nasty bugs and cloth won't scratch your visor like paper towels can.

I never clean the windshield until I get home as I always looked over the top when riding.

I would take George with you to the Redwoods, he is the Master Plugger and carries more tools than I know how to use.....and the best part is that he doesn't snore.....most of the time.

Other than the compressor/plug kit, you can't go wrong with ducttapezipties (I made that one word because you said we could only recommend one thing at a time... I follow instructions...
biggrin.png
laugh.png
)

All the above +

an amazing tool.

As an aside. Several years ago I made a side trip to Crater Lake in June and got snowed on!

Enjoy the trip.