I went to the Redwoods and in my luggage I took ....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to Crater Lake in and in my luggage rack...
I packed a 1911 and two full mags.

Unless you need to make room for all of the other stuff mentioned.
Mmmm Checked my gun safe - no 1911 :-( ... got a couple of S&W M&P's - 9mm and 45 - a Khar 9mm and a Beretta 32, ... will any of those do instead ?

While I suspect some specific members here might embark on this trip without it, I find that at least one change of underwear is a good idea.
wink.png
Didn't see it on your list so I didn't know.
biggrin.png

As far as a top box...once you have one you will wonder how you got along without one. Mine is a permanent fixture on my bike. I look at all the crap I carry around with me now and wonder where I put it all before I had all this luggage space.

Last edited by a moderator:
double stick foam tape

duct tape

cable ties

tire plug kit

12v compressor

lil wd40

cruz tools multi tool packs...allen & metric set each

leatherman multi

paper funnel

channel locks pliers

some bailing wire

Ummmm --- Underwear ... . <checks to see if she remembered to put any on this morning> .....

As far as top box - I'm looking at maybe the Coocase S50 on the Givi SR359 rack ... Coo is about 50% the price of the equivalent Givi ($179 incl light kit plays $269 plus $58 for the light kit for the V46) and I prefer the styling ... Having read up on this forum and others, people seem generally happy with the Coocase apart from some weak solder joints ...

Givi rack seems a given, because of the sub frame issues. But any reason to prefer the V46 / V47 over the Coocase S50 ?

Give the Shad a look too. I've had mine for nearly a year now and aside from bad customer service from one individual (I can say the same about Givi) I've been very happy with my SH50. My one favorite feature is that you don't have to have the key to open it if you don't want to. More pricey than the Coocase, but I have no experience with them so I can't say if it's worth it over one of those. It will however hold a whole lot of underwear!
biggrin.png

Hmm, I carry a bit more than most, but we know she is riding an FJR ...

The tool kit she should really be taking is to work on those Harleys... remember the american made, have tube tires, and require standard (not metric) tools.... Just Sayin

Well, I'm packed and ready to go. Installed a Givi V47 top box last night (had it rush shipped down from Canada, together with the Givi frame mount).

As this is my first multiple day trip on the FJR, I erred on the side of caution and packed everything that has been recommended - so that's most of the Givi right there !

Hopefully when I get back on Monday, it will all be still nicely packed up in the zip locked baggies, never having been called upon.

Thanks for all the advice - see you when I get back.

Riona

Hopefully when I get back on Monday, it will all be still nicely packed up in the zip locked baggies, never having been called upon.

Riona
With this bike, that's exactly what's going to happen. Happy Trails! :)

Riona
With this bike, that's exactly what's going to happen. Happy Trails! :)
Well, I'm set up to be the "mother ship" for a bunch of unknown Harley's... so we'll see ... If I have to use any of the gear, let's hope its not on my own bike ...

Have a great trip Riona! Once you return you'll figure out what you didn't need...it'll be a lot, trust me on this.

--G

Dear FJR Forum,

Just got back from the trip - 1,345 miles over 5 days, so not exactly Iron Butt, but still we covered some ground. I wanted to close this thread by saying "thank you" for all the advice, and letting you know how it turned out.

I equipped myself with the list of stuff I posted earlier, and installed a Givi V47 top case to carry it all.

Quite a lot of the stuff I took actually got used ! As follows:

a) 6' clear pipe ... one of the bikes in the group was a Yamaha V*Star, which only had a 3 gallon tank. So we were stopping for gas for Brian ridiculously often. At one point, we were crossing the high desert in Oregon, between Yakima Canyon and Crater Lake, and hit a section where there were no gas stations for 66 miles forward, and the nearest was 33 miles back ... so the V*star got a gas transfusion from the FJR to help make it to the next fuel stop.

B) Jumper cables .... Nicole is a new rider and made the rookie mistake of leaving her Triumph for the night with the key in and the ignition on. Result, a flat battery and "thank you for having jumper cables, Riona".

c) Zip ties ... Lee's rat bike (I will post pictures, Lee had built this thing himself, no front brake, no fenders, no fairing, no dampers under the springs, looked like a POS but he drove it the entire way around Oregon) had a length of bare wire running to the tail and brake lights - I made him zip tie it up as it was trailing on the road.

d) Extension cable / power strip ... used in every hotel, they just don't provide enough power outlets for all the things we needed charging ...

e) Plexus & microfiber cloths ... I seemed to be the only person who had thought it would be a good idea to have clean helmet visors, so each morning was a round of visor and sun glasses being cleaned.

f) Leatherman - Nicole's Triumph lost a tail light, so the Phillips bit on the leatherman was called into action

g) Gerber folding knife - was called into action so often I switched to carrying it in a pocket.

h) ear plugs ... boy, did some of the other bikes have loud pipes ... I had to start my bike before the rest, otherwise I couldn't hear it. Eventually I started wearing plugs just to block out the noise from the other bikes.

i) Tire pressure gauge - I checked my pressures regularly, in particular after the first day, and after we dropped down to sea level after being up in the high plains.

j) flash light - used a couple of times when we got to a hotel after dark

And of course, the three C's ... cash, credit card and camera ... though the real camera didn't take as many photos as the cell phone camera did ..

Things others packed and I did not ...

Miranda had a good supply of protein bars - the guys were VERY erratic about planning for food stops, so the Miranda fed the girls (myself, herself, Nicole ..) out of a well stocked top box

Ibuprofen / Advil ... Nicole had a good supply of these ... I didn't need any but the Harley / V*star / rat bike riders were popping pain killers after the first day

Heated gear ... Miranda and Nicole both had nice heated jacket liners ... very cozy as we hit snow and 40 degree weather at parts of the trip. They took me to Eagle Leathers in Tacoma on the way home and I now have my own heated liner, that just needs some wiring installed to hook into the bike. That, plus the LED light kit for the Givi V47 will be a nice little electrical project for me.

Swim suit ... The other girls had thought ahead and had swim suits for sitting in the hot tub at each hotel in the evening. I made do with T-shirt and panties rather than miss out on the soak, but that is on the list for next time

So, again a huge THANK YOU to the experienced tourista's in the Forum. Without your advice there would have been a few stranded bikes on our trip!

Riona

Sounds like your friends really need you around...good thing you were there to help. ;)

T-shirt and panties...right. w/o piccies, it did NOT happen. :D

T-Shirt and panties? Seems I recall someone mentioning underwear as a list item.
biggrin.png

There you go stirring things up again... ;)

Glad the trip went well Riona. Every trip will be a new adventure!

--G

Me in t-shirt and panties in a hot tub ? ... plausible deniability remains. There are no pics, therefore it didn't happen. At any of the 4 hotels we stopped at. Let alone all of them.

Trust you guys to pick up on that one ... after I deliberately left the subject of Miranda's well stocked top box hanging out there as bait ...

and yes, guilty as charged for stirring things up. I take it as my mission in life.....or at least as my role on this forum.

angel.gif