On Loss and Living Life

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Miss Demeanor
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
We/I have lost a lot of good spirits lately... seems almost every other day someone has transitioned or is dealing with some sort of illness and it breaks our hearts... but here's a fact... we're all going to physically cease to exist at some point... what is most important is how we live our lives and what we do while we are here... give as much as you can, fight as hard as you can, help whenever you can, love life and those in it to the best of your ability, live your life to its fullest ... because really that's all each of us can do and by doing so, we can make a difference.

I have crossed paths with so many amazing people, from all over and including this forum, and feel blessed to know/have known each of them in this lifetime and truly believe that what makes us who we are, our energy/spirit, will continue on even when the shell that encompasses us has failed... when someone enters your mind and you think, "Gosh I should touch base"... DO IT! I know it's cliche but you never know when your time or their time will be up... reach out, touch base, make the call, stop by, send a card, whatever... just DO IT so you don't regret having missed that moment. I'm doing my best to live this life and love all of those in it... hoping you all do too! :wub:

What a great thought for the day! I couldn't agree more. This philosophy is starting to consume me, in a good way. I find myself with a sense of urgency as there is much left to do. In that light, Mike P and I have recently met two other local motorcyclists, and the 4 of us have grown closer taking an occasional day trip. We've decided to do a 5 day weekend in Arkansas, which will start in about 5 hours. For the other two, it will be their first multi day tour. Mike and I are nearly as excited as they are!!

You Madam, are the Poster Child for this movement. Meeting and being with you at YFO is something I shall not soon forget.

Stay thirsty, my friends....

Well stated Tyler, like Pants states I feel some urgency in staying connected. At this stage in life I know we all have family & friends that are facing physical and even mental demons. Being there for them is important not just for them but for yourself.

Finding a balance of being a good spouse, father or friend can be a challenge, at least for me it can. But don't give up, the rewards are worth it.

Well said Miss T. I endevor to live by this motto as best I can, and it is all to easy to let life get in the way of keeping in touch.

Tyler's post had a little extra meaning for me for me today because this is my first week of retirement. Thanks Tyler. It is time go get out and enjoy while I can - JNSF (RIP Don).

The pain of losing someone close we can all relate to on some level. This forum's members taught me some important lessons about losing someone I never met. The Loss of beemerdonS and BigSky affected me in ways I had never considered. I resolved to take advantage of some opportunities to meet FJR folks in other parts of this country so I made it to SFO last year. Then Pop almost died in a crash earlier this year and the FJR community rallied around him. I was obligated to attend YFO.

Tyler, there are no words strong enough to express the Goodness that you bring to us. There are no adjectives to describe my gratitude for what you do.

Hey Pants! Have some fun in AR and I just got back from my first visit up there. My Butler maps provided some seriously fun roads. Route 123 north out of Hagerville might as well been a racetrack with a tree canopy. See you in October.

Yes, life is indeed short and one must live it to the fullest while you can. My Dad, who has followed me for at least 40,000 miles on his Gold Wings (multiple years) is now suffering the debilitating effects of Lou Gerig's/ALS and is a mere shell of the person he was only 2 years ago. We have ridden our bikes all over the state of California since 2003, and prior to that rode dirt bikes all over the Sierras.

Dad and I have coffee every Tuesday morning, and In the past talked about everything that Dads and sons talk about - life, work, family, how to be the best we can be, and the love of our savior, Jesus Christ.

Now, it is a chore to understand what Dad is saying and sometimes I just have no clue....but, because of the relationship we have shared over the years it doesn't really matter. Just being together is what's important for these remaining times.

Dad has never complained, never said "why me", and has just accepted what's been handed him like a loving human being.

You never know when things will change in life- for the better or for the worse.

If you have fences to mend with a family member, do it while there is still time.

Get out there and ride!

Biknflyfisher

Just being together is what's important for these remaining times.
Indeed... so many of us are dealing with aging parents and the loss of those who have been such great influences on our lives... we wish we could make them better, take away the pain and loss of their youth... but the very best thing we can do is love them, with patience, and be with them... and now it is our turn to guide them along their path with love. I think you get it... :wub:

This makes me think of Mike, Patriot here on the forum. He's pretty much left the forum but is active on FB, He's had a very rough time the last few months with kidneys failing, little insurance coverage (if any) and has had to get some home dialysis equipment set up, requiring sterile field, everything super clean, and no skipping sessions or you die. He's still able to get out and about but not on a bike. He never replaced the Can-Am that got wrecked.

I've seen him post that he's ready, I've seen him post some rather depressed thoughts. I'm going to see if we can meet next weekend about halfway, somewhere around Gulf Shores, because honestly, even if he lasts a good number of years, unless a miracle happens and he can get a transplant, his mobility from home is going to be severely restricted, with dialysis moving to a daily requirement (and eventually to not enough to keep him going) and his thoughts on quality of life have been... eye-opening, and eye-dampening.

So thanks, Tyler, for the little extra push to make sure I get that meet done next week!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Tyler, That is very sound advice, one should never stop making contact with the people you like, love and want to be around. Today I will be taking my parents to a local hospital so we can be with my younger sister as she passes to the other side. Tough times are ahead but I will never forget her, her sense of humor and her determination to live the fullest life possible. I wish there was more time, I wish I had told her the last time I saw her how much I loved her but being sure there would be a "next time" I just said "See you later." So take Tyler's advice and get out there and be a positive dynamic influence, go see the folks you care about and let them know that you are in their lives and damn glad to be a part of it.

She is still with us, the pulmanologist has one last procedure he is going to try tomorrow but I am not optimistic and neither is my niece who is an RN. I am so torn seeing her suffer. I want her to stay with us but realize it might be a selfish wish on my part.

She is still with us, the pulmanologist has one last procedure he is going to try tomorrow but I am not optimistic and neither is my niece who is an RN. I am so torn seeing her suffer. I want her to stay with us but realize it might be a selfish wish on my part.
Steve, tell her what you shared with us... tell her that you love her... tell her all of the things you want to say to her while she's still here... I believe she will hear you.

With deference and concern for our friend Steve's wife, and his family, must also face the fact that our beloved Petey is gone.

I'd like to think and hope that he didn't suffer in his tragedy, but I don't know. Regardless, from what very little I knew of Petey, I can state with confidence that he lived a wonderful life. A happy life filled with activities and people that gave him joy. If he held any grudges or animosities toward anyone, I certainly couldn't see it. In my opinion, Petey let all of that shit go a long time ago. He took frequent assessments of what mattered most to him, and dismissed the rest as the nuisance it really was. For that which mattered, he pursued it with a fevered reverence and pursued it often. He laughed a lot. He made time for the people that meant to the most to him. He let his actions speak for themselves and others noticed and believed in him. He viewed his world as a playground, filled with peace and happiness.

I wonder and hope that I will have the courage to do the same. And that you will too.

Tyler your reminder is one of the things that Marissa and I have always done. I met Marissa a couple of years after her first husband had died from an injury he had received in an industrial accident at work. We have always planned trips and excursions with or kids and by ourselves for the very reasons you gave above - you never know when your time is up, and we don't want to say "I wish we would have done ...". Our problem is the same as many others experience, is finding making time to do the activities. (and of course the bank account)

We have found that doing all the things we do, with our kids, and the larger community have made our lives much richer and fuller with all that we have seen and done.

Thank you for the reminder Tyler

Last edited by a moderator:
Tyler, it was good to hug you at EOM. Looking forward to another at SFO, you bundle of sunshine! Love you!