On Loss and Living Life

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With deference and concern for our friend Steve's wife, and his family, must also face the fact that our beloved Petey is gone.
I'd like to think and hope that he didn't suffer in his tragedy, but I don't know. Regardless, from what very little I knew of Petey, I can state with confidence that he lived a wonderful life. A happy life filled with activities and people that gave him joy. If he held any grudges or animosities toward anyone, I certainly couldn't see it. In my opinion, Petey let all of that shit go a long time ago. He took frequent assessments of what mattered most to him, and dismissed the rest as the nuisance it really was. For that which mattered, he pursued it with a fevered reverence and pursued it often. He laughed a lot. He made time for the people that meant to the most to him. He let his actions speak for themselves and others noticed and believed in him. He viewed his world as a playground, filled with peace and happiness.

I wonder and hope that I will have the courage to do the same. And that you will too.
It's my sister folks and she's still hangin in there but the prognosis is still bad. (sorry, I wasn't trying to hijack the post.)

Absolutely no apology necessary, Steve. You're comments are MOST appropriate for this thread, and I appreciate them.

My own comments were not directed at you or anyone else. I was just reminding myself (through my writing) to have the courage to do what Petey and others have done. Walk the walk.

I hope your sister is comfortable, and I'm keeping you and your family in my thoughts today.

Yes, life is indeed short and one must live it to the fullest while you can. My Dad, who has followed me for at least 40,000 miles on his Gold Wings (multiple years) is now suffering the debilitating effects of Lou Gerig's/ALS and is a mere shell of the person he was only 2 years ago. We have ridden our bikes all over the state of California since 2003, and prior to that rode dirt bikes all over the Sierras.Dad and I have coffee every Tuesday morning, and In the past talked about everything that Dads and sons talk about - life, work, family, how to be the best we can be, and the love of our savior, Jesus Christ.

Now, it is a chore to understand what Dad is saying and sometimes I just have no clue....but, because of the relationship we have shared over the years it doesn't really matter. Just being together is what's important for these remaining times.

Dad has never complained, never said "why me", and has just accepted what's been handed him like a loving human being.

You never know when things will change in life- for the better or for the worse.

If you have fences to mend with a family member, do it while there is still time.

Get out there and ride!

Biknflyfisher
Well, my beloved Dad that I mentioned in this post lost his battle with ALS/Lou Gerig's disease on Monday. We have his service tomorrow, which will bring closure, but will not take away the sting of losing my best buddy. We had so many more places to ride - Monument Valley, the trip to Colorado that we talked about, another spring ride to Death Valley....

Just another stark reminder that there are no guarantees in life, and every day with those that you love is a true blessing.

Peace and happiness to all on this forum,

Brian the biknflyfisher

Well, my beloved Dad that I mentioned in this post lost his battle with ALS/Lou Gerig's disease on Monday. We have his service tomorrow, which will bring closure, but will not take away the sting of losing my best buddy. We had so many more places to ride - Monument Valley, the trip to Colorado that we talked about, another spring ride to Death Valley....Just another stark reminder that there are no guarantees in life, and every day with those that you love is a true blessing.

Peace and happiness to all on this forum,

Brian the biknflyfisher
Brian, go do one those rides and bring your dad with you in another way... I know he will be with you and, I hope, you'll feel him with you. While we lose the physical presence of those we love, we never lose the spirit, the memory, the essence of who they were (and still are)... in that way they will always continue to be with us. Peace.

So true Tyler, whenever and wherever I ride Dad will be with me. My 34yr old son also rides (when he can with 3 kids 7 and under) has been out with me on several good day rides this year. We are already talking about and planning a ride to Death Valley in Spring of 2018.

The support this forum shows to it's members is truly amazing....

Brian

Brian, belated condolences to you and family. I hope the pain of the loss is being replaced slowly by fond memories and rides with your kids to make new memories to cherish.

Live each moment like its is your last and never forget to tell others you love them. Not my original thought but words to live by nonetheless

Last edited by a moderator: