Riding / Work Boots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient
Reaction score
I will be in the market for some new boots before the season is over, and I am looking for people's opinions.

I tend to ride to construction sites for work, so I need a boot that is good protection and comfort while on the bike, but also has a good sole, and is comfortable to walk around a construction site for several hours in.

I could just use a good work duty boot, but I wonder if they will have enough protection in the specific areas I might need if things go bad and I end up sliding down the pavement. I wont say cost is NO issue, but as long as the boots last for a few years I don't mind spending some money.

I will be in the market for some new boots before the season is over, and I am looking for people's opinions.
I tend to ride to construction sites for work, so I need a boot that is good protection and comfort while on the bike, but also has a good sole, and is comfortable to walk around a construction site for several hours in.

I could just use a good work duty boot, but I wonder if they will have enough protection in the specific areas I might need if things go bad and I end up sliding down the pavement. I wont say cost is NO issue, but as long as the boots last for a few years I don't mind spending some money.
I bought a pair of Chippewa work boots a couple of weeks ago (just before I picked up my new '07 FJR) and "love" them. I got 8" Style 72005 with a plain toe. I debated about the steel toe and read pros and cons and went with plain. They fit me like they were custom made for me. I've put on several 400+ mile days with them in temps from 40s to high 80s and wear them off and on for work.

They have a full lug soles so lots of traction. I'm new (read that first time) riding sport touring bikes so the peg and shifter position is totally new. It took a several moments to get use to the lugs and pegs; but quickly got comfortable with the heel/sole edge resting on the pegs.

In 7 years of riding, this is the first boot that really feels good on my foot both riding and walking around before and after.

I have a pair of these. They are like wearing sneakers. They are the best for walking and riding since they are completely waterproof. My feet do not ever get cold either. I see that someone beat me to the punch with the Bates bootes before I could finish writing this. Mine have the Gortex which is great.

I get them at a Army and Navy store for $120.00. I have both the tall and short ones.

https://www.batesfootwear.com/Shop/Detail.a...486&GNavID=

I have a pair of boots similar to the Bates, but the sole on them is too soft for construction sites. Earlier this year I was wearing them at a job site, and a screw rolled up into the bottom of the sole, and then proceeded to go through my foot. NOT GOOD. Also, I worry about how much protection they would provide for the toe area in a get off. Mine seam like they would grind away in a big hurry.

I like wearing good quality hiking boots as my "every day" shoes, which includes riding to work and/or errands.

I bought a pair of Vasque Zephyr Tech boots because I've loved the last 2 pairs of Vasque boots I've had and THESE HAVE NO LACES. They use a new-fangled cable system that is touted to be the future of shoe lacing. I actually had a boot lace snag on a foot peg when approaching a red light once and boy will that make you poop yourself.

Vasque Zephyr Tech Info

Oxtar Matrix 2.

Wear them all the time just because they are so comfy!

Not exactly great on hot days, but comfort is amazing for a motorcycle boot.

Try some of these: Booty-Call

I wear the tall ones. They come in varying widths and are ALL day comfortable. I have even crash-tested these. I was wearing these when I took the bad spill. My feet were the only thing not hurting.

I've used many styles over the years in search of that "superboot" for riding. My personal preference always comes back to a well used pair of these; https://tinyurl.com/4nucay. I tend to like steel toes because they seem to enhance and ease shifting, especially when riding old Beemers.

If I'm not wearing the above I'm wearing a 6" lace up steel toe, more often during warmer weather too.

I have found a Harley boot that I have got ordered, the "Island" https://tinyurl.com/3f7egp , we'll put them to the "superboot" test here shortly, along with some black dye to cover up those despicable letters plaster on them.

I think anything is better than Nikes but should cover the ankle and be secure enough as not to come off during a unfortunate road rash episode.

good luck.

I wear these. They are the most comfortable boots I have ever worn and have protected my toes in a get off about two years ago. I had a huge blister on my heal from a pair of workboots that I had just purchased, went into Boot World to exchange them and they told me to try these on. I was thinking that I should wait until the blister healed and come back then, but tried them on anyway. I couldn't even tell I had the blister, they were that comfortable. The pair I have on cost me around 100 bucks.

https://www.magnumboots.com/magnum_06_stealth_series.html

I have found a Harley boot that I have got ordered, the "Island" https://tinyurl.com/3f7egp , we'll put them to the "superboot" test here shortly, along with some black dye to cover up those despicable letters plaster on them.
You know, if we catch you out on a Yamaha and you can still read the lettering on those boots, we're gonna have to beat you down.

Nothing personal, though. ;)

I wear these. They are the most comfortable boots I have ever worn and have protected my toes in a get off about two years ago. I had a huge blister on my heal from a pair of workboots that I had just purchased, went into Boot World to exchange them and they told me to try these on. I was thinking that I should wait until the blister healed and come back then, but tried them on anyway. I couldn't even tell I had the blister, they were that comfortable. The pair I have on cost me around 100 bucks.
https://www.magnumboots.com/magnum_06_stealth_series.html
The Magnum boots are the exact ones I have, which the screw went through the sole. I LOVE these boots, and the soles are great for around the office, but they are WAY too soft for a construction site.

Thanks for the links from everyone. There are a few here that I am going to be looking into.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've owned a lot of boots, but I keep coming back to my tried and true Redwing Irish Setters with the moccasin toe. I oil them a couple times a year with red wing oil, so they're waterproof, and with that moc toe, there's room to put on heavy socks in the winter, or use light socks in warm weather and just lace them until they're snug.

I have the white crepe soles. They have much better traction on slick or oily surfaces than lug soles, but the down side is you have to replace the soles every couple of years -- $40 the last time I did it.

The leather is heavy and tough and comes well above the ankle, giving good support, yet these are supple enough that I can use them for serious hiking. They're what i wore to hike to the top of Mt. Lassen last year.

I own other boots that are made for riding, and I couldn't walk around in any of them all day. And even though they're advertised as having special protective components for the ankle and foot, I can't feel anything -- try as I might -- that seems any tougher or more bulletproof or protective than the red wings' heavy, well-stitched leather.

Trigger, Chippewa (made in USA!) makes a variety of great work and bike boots.

edit - I got their Rally Motorcycle boots - these ones from this place

and they're very comfy, offer great protection, and you can walk around all day in them.

Dr. Rich was sporting a pair of these though, last week, and swears by them.

100_4755.jpg

Tim
This is what I have https://www.newenough.com/browse/view_product_images/653 Vertigo Air Boots prior model to this. They are great rain or shine. They are also comfy. I teach in this boots, which involves lots of walking, running and quick jumping to get out of a way from a run a way bike :)
The Sidi boot is an excellent boot and definately one to be considered but I have always found that I come back to Redwing for everyday use.They dont slip too much when I hit an oil spot in the road at a light,can handle wool socks in winter and wear them all day walking when I am working at one of my rental houses.I am currently using the zippered bike boot.Very nice when you have to take them off after hours in the saddle.The Magnum boot is also a very good boot and can be found in most police supply stores or Army-Navy outlets