01 FZ1 Problems?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobcattoo

Reaction score
Any common problems specific to the 01 FZ1s? I'm going to look at one tomorrow. I know there are many on this Forum familiar with this model. Any "tickers" in this Generation? Bike has 20K on the clock.

Oh! If anyone has a better "deal" on similar equipment(within 300 miles), speak now or forever .......blah blah blah.

This one's listed at $3000 with several farkles.

Last edited by a moderator:
They do sometimes have a transmission problem. It involves 2nd and 6th gears. First signs are a false neutral between 5th and 6th. Second sign is jumpimg out of 2nd gear. Third sign is hard to get in/out of 2nd. Not all had these problems, and according to Yamaha it's all driver error. Another concern is the lean tuning that most people never fix, Ivans jet kit is the answer. Get a nice aftermarket seat, and you'll leave the FJR at home for the 150-200 milers. They are very nice bikes, and if you like the 1st/2nd gear acceleration of the FJR, this bike pulls like that all the way thru 4th@ about 140mph, then it slows a bit. I have an 05 that I bought new, I really hate to sell it, but can't justify two big bikes.

On the FZ1OA board my name is "geezer". If you have any questions, find me there, or here and I'll do my best to get you "correct" answers.

They do sometimes have a transmission problem. It involves 2nd and 6th gears. First signs are a false neutral between 5th and 6th. Second sign is jumpimg out of 2nd gear. Third sign is hard to get in/out of 2nd. Not all had these problems, and according to Yamaha it's all driver error. Another concern is the lean tuning that most people never fix, Ivans jet kit is the answer. Get a nice aftermarket seat, and you'll leave the FJR at home for the 150-200 milers. They are very nice bikes, and if you like the 1st/2nd gear acceleration of the FJR, this bike pulls like that all the way thru 4th@ about 140mph, then it slows a bit. I have an 05 that I bought new, I really hate to sell it, but can't justify two big bikes.On the FZ1OA board my name is "geezer". If you have any questions, find me there, or here and I'll do my best to get you "correct" answers.
Excellent info! Thanks! I rode one many years ago. I suspect it was an 01. Blue. After some moderate twists of the throttle I wondered why anyone would want more. Is the suspension as adjustable as the FJR?

Never mind the last question. Read the ENTIRE FZ1 FORUM! NOT! But I did read about the suspension options.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I both had '02's (she still has hers). No issues with mine in 50k miles. I did have the Ivan's jet kit, she doesn't have it- her bike still runs well. I added risers and a Corbin seat. Great bike for shorter trips. Not as comfy as the FJR for longer ones. I put a tall windshield on mine also.

My wife and I both had '02's (she still has hers). No issues with mine in 50k miles. I did have the Ivan's jet kit, she doesn't have it- her bike still runs well. I added risers and a Corbin seat. Great bike for shorter trips. Not as comfy as the FJR for longer ones. I put a tall windshield on mine also.
After doing more research on that FZ1 Forum one would get the impression that most if not all had problems(tranny and jetting). But I know from being on other Bike forums that many of the Bikes have little or no issues. My FJR(knock on wood) has been very dependable and virtually issue free. The same can be said for MY GoldWing. Just haven't had the problems that others seem to experience. The 01 that I was interested in has been sold and I really think with my propensity to "wind one up" I would no doubt be safer on something with WAY LESS HP! But if I run onto a "Deal", who knows. This one seemed well priced for all the add-ons and the miles. And obviously one person agreed.

Any common problems specific to the 01 FZ1s? I'm going to look at one tomorrow. I know there are many on this Forum familiar with this model. Any "tickers" in this Generation? Bike has 20K on the clock.

Oh! If anyone has a better "deal" on similar equipment(within 300 miles), speak now or forever .......blah blah blah.

This one's listed at $3000 with several farkles.

I've got an '05. Last year of the Gen1. The only problem I have had is the heat issue with the carbs getting hot and evaporating the fuel when I stop. A quick choke get's her running again. The bike goes from "Gee this pulls nice" to "Holy shit!" at about 7,000 rpm and holds your attention nicely well into the 11's. It has the HP of the FJR but not as much torque. My gut feeling is the FZ1 is faster if you use the cogs properly.

My best day on the stock seat to date is 885 miles. Your ass will be screaming for relief long before you hit that mark. A 500 mile day is a decent touring day.

Where the FJR is a sport TOURER, the FZ1 is a SPORT tourer. Great way for someone to get started with bigger machines. Good range, great power, smooth, nice suspension. Lots of bike for the buck.