Side case surgery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I never found a video. It turns out my major problem was the hooks had worn way down with years of vibration, so they could pop off even with the bottom (movable) pin was fully extended. I got a set of low-mileage used bags on e-Bay and swapped in the lock cylinders from the originals. One day I'll cut open one of the old ones to document what's inside, but first I need to get a round tuit.

No, I never found a video. It turns out my major problem was the hooks had worn way down with years of vibration, so they could pop off even with the bottom (movable) pin was fully extended. I got a set of low-mileage used bags on e-Bay and swapped in the lock cylinders from the originals. One day I'll cut open one of the old ones to document what's inside, but first I need to get a round tuit.
Cut this one out, then you'll have no excuse.
(Click on this one if you want it bigger)

To answer your questions... the bag is unlocked, and the grab handle is full up; you insert the blade of the screwdriver under the gear that is attached to the handle, and try to 'lift' it over the tooth so it is back where it belongs. Not a lot of pressure... you'll feel it pop over. When I did it, the first try I felt it give but it didn't quite pop, the second a little more pressure and it popped in. Use the same test of pressure on the locking pin/peg to find out if you got it right: if the gears are properly engaged the pin won't budge from the full-up position when the locking handle is all the way against the bag.

I used a fairly light-weight (read cheap) screwdriver that would bend before I got too much pressure on it, because I was nervous about breaking the bag as well. I reckon unless you really go Gonad the Barbellian on it, you should be ok. :huh:

It was raining... and being an engineer, I think he was just plain curious how the sucker worked.

Fred: just measuring the locking pin isn't enough: my left bag (the one with the problem) and the healthy right bag both had the pin protruding the same distance (+/- a millimeter or so); the difference with that last, skipped tooth is that it is that extra travel that pushes the cam over centre to lock the pin in place. I think this is that little "snap" sound you hear when the bag is locked onto the bike. If it isn't over centre, there is a bit of play in the pin that can result in the bag coming loose.

I'm wondering how many other 'flying bags' incidents that were chalked up to pilot error were actually a mechanical fault ? :unsure: Maybe time to open another incident report with the traffic safety folks? <_<

I've got to figure out how to get a video up here... we shot the video of the mechanism working and it is really a whole lot clearer watching it in action than my description and still pics can convey. Any suggestions? Do I have to pop it into YouTube and then post the link?

Griff
I was going to say you should just throw it up on YouTube and post the link. Also, great write up!

"When my bag was a bit loose, I glued a piece cut from an old inner tube in there. Bag now nice and tight."

Wow, I never thought of doing that. Last weekend, with the heat and humidity, and my advanced years, my bag was very loose all weekend. Sac stuck to my leg for most of the daylight hours. Never thought of using an old innertube to tighten up the marble pouch. Good advice...I'll try it! :lol:
Shit my mind went straight to re-sleeving the cylinder on my bag...JK cause she still has the factory hone 😜

How you did that?You pushed the handle upwards while you pressed what with the screwdriver?
When you raise the handle you will see the teeth appearing one by one. So while pushing the handle with one hand, I also helped with a screwdriver for one more teeth to come out.
Sorry, I'm not near the box right now to take a video but for sure you will understand what I'm trying to say if you raise your handle on the box :)
If not, let me know I will try to record it later.

When you raise the handle you will see the teeth appearing one by one. So while pushing the handle with one hand, I also helped with a screwdriver for one more teeth to come out.
Sorry, I'm not near the box right now to take a video but for sure you will understand what I'm trying to say if you raise your handle on the box :)
If not, let me know I will try to record it later.
Got it!Thanks!