04' with 44K quieter than 08' with less than 3K??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fjryder

Reaction score
i have an 04' non-abs with over 44k on the clock. bought her used with 32k. recently changed the plugs with a set of NGK cr8eix and change the oil regularly using Rotella Syn. she runs perfect and strong as an ox.

last week i came across an 08' with less than 3K on the odometer and the guy just wanted to get rid of it. couldnt pass it up. brought her home changed all the fluids and she runs fine. but i do notice that the 08' seems louder and rougher around the edges than my 04'. the 08' also seems to be quiet heavy when turning at slow speeds and the 04' feels light and natural. both are very strong, but the 04' seems more refined than the 08'.

has anyone else owned Gen I and Gen II at the same time and have noticed these things??

First thing to do is check for a shagged front tire on the '08. If it has an original stone '021 then that's your answer to heavy steering. BTW, you have checked the air pressure...right?

I much prefer my GENII over the '04 I had before. Engine sounds are somewhat subjective, I *think* my '06 is louder than a couple 08's that I hang around with. Have fun with the new scoot!

--G

No surprise. Anybody who knows, knows that Gen I FJRs are superior to Gen IIs. Just as Gen I owners are superior to Gen II owners.

Just ask RH or RJ........

Just ask RH or RJ........
Yep, another Gen2 owner to feel sorry for.

Hope you didn't get rid of the '04 yet, -as that is the one you'll want to keep.

You've already seen some of the inferior attributes, -and that heavy feeling --well it is heavier, uhh, and slower.

Perhaps you can fix your error and dump the Gen2?, No doubt that is the best chance of recovery.

Those of us 'who know' have replaced our Gen1's ...with Gen1's.

Others have done as you. Some admitted the mistake, many corrected their error. Yet, unfortunately, there are a few --too stubborn or stupid to admit what you've been brave enough to do. I applaud your courage.

Me thinks you'll be one of the smart ones and correct your misguided Gen2 purchase..

Sometimes folks don't realize what they have until they replace it.

Best of luck, please keep us posted.

RJ

Last edited by a moderator:
First thing to do is check for a shagged front tire on the '08. If it has an original stone '021 then that's your answer to heavy steering. BTW, you have checked the air pressure...right?
I much prefer my GENII over the '04 I had before. Engine sounds are somewhat subjective, I *think* my '06 is louder than a couple 08's that I hang around with. Have fun with the new scoot!

--G

yeah the front tire pressure is around 37psi. similiar to where i keep the gen I front tire.

Right after I ordered my 05 and a half a friend of mine with yamahahaha said that the FJR was going to have some changes for 06 ect. At first I was wondering what those changes were and should I have waited. From what I see the changes were small at best. The only thing that really stands out was the heat issue. And to this day I still ask my self what HEAT? And at what price. To add more stuff and weight to address what I consider a non issue. It seems to me to be only marketing Razmataz. And what about the cold. A common farkle is heated grips. If I am riding in the cold a little warmth between the legs is a good thing RIGHT! I have not ridden a Gen2. But I have ridden with Gen2's. The only real differences I see is hair splitting on paper and not in real world riding!

Heat. Now your gonna start sumpin. I can't understand folks who don't notice an unmodded gen 1's fire breathing attributes. Mine is still hotter than I would like even with the heat fix.

The real reason the Gen1 owners haven't upgraded to the SUPERIOR Gen2 is they probably can't afford it!!!!!!!!!!! :p
Spoken like a true Harley owner.

Oh, wait....did I just associate a Gen II with a Harley?

Nah....never heard of a Harley that needed an ignition recall, ECU replacement, instant MPG-display replacement, wiring harness replacement & clutch soak.

But like a Harley, them Gen IIs are heavier, slower and cost more.

If I had cash-in-hand right this minute to walk out the dealer's door with a brand new, 2010 FJR, I'd take that money and go buy two low mileage, well cared for '04s to put in storage for my future.

Oh, Skooter....... :thumbsup:

RH

I've also had both the 04 non-ABS and the 08 at the same time, with similar mileage on my 04 as the OP is currently reporting. Living in the desert southwest, the heat issue makes a big difference. Yes the Gen II's are heavier; I compensate for this on the front tire by running a few more PSI than I did in the 04 (usually around 39-40). The 04 came stock with Bridgestone 020; the 08 with Metzeler Z6, which I found I prefer. About the only thing I really liked better on the 04 was the odo readout showing both the odo, and one of the two trip odo's. I have also found the fuel gauge far more pessimistic on the 08. But these are just minor quibbles, I do not regret making the change in the slightest.

I've also had both the 04 non-ABS and the 08 at the same time, with similar mileage on my 04 as the OP is currently reporting. Living in the desert southwest, the heat issue makes a big difference. Yes the Gen II's are heavier; I compensate for this on the front tire by running a few more PSI than I did in the 04 (usually around 39-40). The 04 came stock with Bridgestone 020; the 08 with Metzeler Z6, which I found I prefer. About the only thing I really liked better on the 04 was the odo readout showing both the odo, and one of the two trip odo's. I have also found the fuel gauge far more pessimistic on the 08. But these are just minor quibbles, I do not regret making the change in the slightest.

thanks. appreciate your input.

has anyone else owned Gen I and Gen II at the same time.......... and have noticed these things??
YES, 05 with Wilbers shock and GP Suspension forks rebuild---08 with stock suspension......... NO, the 08 is the best all around motorcycle I have ever owned.

Code:

Spoken like a true Harley owner.

Oh, wait....did I just associate a Gen II with a Harley?

Nah....never heard of a Harley that needed an ignition recall, ECU replacement, instant MPG-display replacement, wiring harness replacement & clutch soak.

But like a Harley, them Gen IIs are heavier, slower and cost more.

If I had cash-in-hand right this minute to walk out the dealer's door with a brand new, 2010 FJR, I'd take that money and go buy two low mileage, well cared for '04s to put in storage for my future.

Oh, Skooter....... :thumbsup:

Not a single issue in 40k klms with my 08. Insinuating I'm a HD owner ????? For Christ sake get real mate. :lol:

Don't get so defensive, Gen II guys....

Hell, I dated a fat chick once, too, and aren't to ashamed to admit it.

Move on already.

Don't get so defensive, Gen II guys....
Hell, I dated a fat chick once, too, and aren't to ashamed to admit it.

Move on already.
Yep, ...and in the case of the FJR the cost of entry is MORE! Typically fat chicks can be had at a discount. Makes you question the wisdom of the Gen2phools.

But, trust me when I tell you that it isn't the money that keeps *me* away from Gen2 bikes.

My latest purchase (gen1 to gen1): Nothing I'd have liked more than to take a step forward -and nothing I'd like to see more than Mama Yama move forward with this platform. But, in reality, the opposite is happening. Meanwhile other manufacturers are making their bikes lighter and stronger -uhh, -yep more reliable too.

**And the dirty secret: It is by design:

Howie, your Harley analogy is dead-on-target and if you look a the vast quantity of Harley guyz and galz moving to the FJR -this is not by accident.

Yamaha has set their sites to carve into the Harley niche and pick up some of that market share. From the influx of Harley owners we've seen come into the FJR community (look no further than this forum) it is obvious. MamaYama's "dumbing-down" of the FJR has been effective in their desire to capture more and more of the Harley segment of the market.

From '03, when a cutting-edge sport touring machine came out, and just 3years later the pounds performance and unreliability started building by the year. Today, no sign of letting up.

*Slower and heavier by the year .....and IMO same can be said for the folks buying them. And, a calculated and purposeful move by MamaYama, these are the folks they're targeting, and it's working.

**And the dirty secret: It is by design:

guinness-brilliant.jpg

I went from an '04 to an '08 and have no regrets. The 2008 model is smoother and more refined. I wouldnt go back to a Gen I for anything.