08 FJR R&R Clutch Plate Soak

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone had this issue with an 08 AE? Yamaha's site says the AE got a redesigned clutch and trans for 08.

Mike

I'm not aware of any noise coming from the shaft area on my bike. It's easy enough to inspect and lube the shaft splines, if you think that's where the noise is coming from. I'd check it out.

I never noticed it till I ran it in gear on the center stand after I did the clutch soak. Sort of like a chattering noise. I thought WTF, and loaded the drive line by applying the rear brake. It seemed to subside with some drag on it, so I think it'll wait till I do a tire change.

My '06 had the dreaded clunking shift affliction too. Hard from neutral into first and from first into second. May have done the same into all gears but the wind and engine noise was louder than the shifting after this point.

Took the clutch apart, did the soak with some nice Mobil 1 and put it all back together.

Didn't seem to make one bit of difference :angry:

Like others, mine seems to shift like butter sometimes and like a can of rocks other times. Can't seem to figure out if it's me or the bike but it did that before and after the clutch soak.

This is the only thing about my FJR that I don't like, but WTF can you do? <_<

I never noticed it till I ran it in gear on the center stand after I did the clutch soak. Sort of like a chattering noise. I thought WTF, and loaded the drive line by applying the rear brake. It seemed to subside with some drag on it, so I think it'll wait till I do a tire change.

n1acguy--- that noise is just the power pulses you are getting from your engine firing and the tranny is getting a slop and tightening effect going on real fast with every power pulse, putting a load on it like you did will stop it , in other words its normal

Last edited by a moderator:
n1acguy--- that noise is just the power pulses you are getting from your engine firing and the tranny is getting a slop and tightening effect going on real fast with every power pulse, putting a load on it like you did will stop it , in other words its normal

That's why I decided to leave it alone. I'll just make sure to lube it when I take the rear wheel off.

No discussion here about '09 models?

Supposedly a redesigned clutch for '09? Anybody know what exactly was redesigned?

I'm still breaking mine in (only 250+/- miles).

I haven't noticed any downshifting issues from 5-4-3-2. Sometimes I have to double clutch to get it from 2/or N to 1 at a light and a big "clunk" into first. Upshifts seem too tight and very long needing alot of toe force to push the lever up. I think it probably just needs to be broken in and I need more time in the saddle. I've spent the past year with a Honda transmission which may be part of the problem too.

I only ask because it seems like many of your bikes are new ('07s &'08s) and you're already having to tear into the clutch. What's the word on '09s or is it too early to tell?

Supposedly a redesigned clutch for '09? Anybody know what exactly was redesigned?

I'm still breaking mine in (only 250+/- miles).

I haven't noticed any downshifting issues from 5-4-3-2. Sometimes I have to double clutch to get it from 2/or N to 1 at a light and a big "clunk" into first. Upshifts seem too tight and very long needing alot of toe force to push the lever up. I think it probably just needs to be broken in and I need more time in the saddle. I've spent the past year with a Honda transmission which may be part of the problem too.

I only ask because it seems like many of your bikes are new ('07s &'08s) and you're already having to tear into the clutch. What's the word on '09s or is it too early to tell?
Having to hunt for neutral at a stoplight was the first sign that mine had an issue. I was missing the positive neutral finder Suzuki used, and wondering why this Yamaha trans was so notchy. Trying to get neutral got me second gear half the time. I also thought it just needed to be broken in, but never had a finicky trans on any previous new bike I had owned. As it turns out, the clutch dragging was the entire issue. So far, the clutch soak worked wonders, but I haven't had a chance to ride it after the initial test. Others have reported that the initial soaking lasts and doesn't need to be done again.

This is the best motorcycle support board I have seen. The owners and mechanics on this board are more knowledgable than my dealer's service department.

My 09 is clunky going into first gear unless I keep the clutch lever pulled in for about 30 seconds, then it just snicks into gear. Never had a problem shifting, but I do have occasional problems finding Neutral as it really wants to go to 1st or 2nd instead..

Guess i need a soak

My 06 is also a bit clunky going into 1st gear but if I keep the clutch lever pulled for about 10 seconds it’s much better. The first owner told me that Yamaha did something to the clutch just after he bought it because it was “kind of stuck with grease”. I have all the papers from that work but still wonder what they did and if it was enough. I think it has improved a bit lately after I had the clutch pulled for longer periods during slow down instead of a downshift. Hopefully it gets a bit more soaked that way, at least according to others around here.

From Yamaha website - "For 2009, the FJR1300A receives an updated clutch to reduce lever pressure for rider comfort."

From the parts list, the unit called the Push Lever Comp. has been changed to exactly what Gen I models used to have ($96) vs. '06-'08 models ($69). This has been reported before in some other thread too.

Was curious to know if anyone has made this change in their '08 (i.e. used the '09 Push Lever Comp.) and how was the outcome. I think this too has been reported before, but I couldn't find it.

From Yamaha website - "For 2009, the FJR1300A receives an updated clutch to reduce lever pressure for rider comfort."

From the parts list, the unit called the Push Lever Comp. has been changed to exactly what Gen I models used to have ($96) vs. '06-'08 models ($69). This has been reported before in some other thread too.

Was curious to know if anyone has made this change in their '08 (i.e. used the '09 Push Lever Comp.) and how was the outcome. I think this too has been reported before, but I couldn't find it.
I put the gen I push comp lever (clutch slave cylinder) on my 07 and it is sweet. The pull on the lever is much lighter.

I had responded to this thread several months ago, but have an update.

In my opinion, OK Red's procedure is the correct one.

Clutch soak - probably necessary given the gunk between the plates. However, isn't the end all, be all.

Switch to synthetic - I did it, I like it, but can't claim it was really the oil - that's for NEPRT

Running bike on stand w/ clutch lever engaged - priceless imo; this made the biggest single impact for me.

Oh, an extra 10k miles is good too - breakin' in the bike never hurt either.

Combining all 4 together was the hot ticket for me.

My bike is just over a year old with just over 10k miles. The transmission behaves quite nicely now, with only an occasional clunk here or there. Funny part is now I notice the most noise when really on the RPMs and shifting between 2nd and 3rd. I plan on another center stand session to see if there's any further improvement. But to be honest, I'm just being finicky as the largest improvement has already been had.

Good luck FJR owners!

Picked up my bike last September and thought that it shifted like a box of rocks - very out of character for an otherwise refined machine. Figured it would get better with some wear, but a month later I was having some of the classic 'dry clutch' symptoms (violently lurching when shifting from neutral to 1st, clutch never really felt totally disengaged with lever in, etc). I read up on the issue in this forum, and actually bought the clutch cover gasket when I purchased the oil filters and crush gaskets for oil change #1.
However, on the advice of one of my gear head friends, I ty-wrapped the clutch lever to the handgrip so that the clutch plates were separated, and ran the bike for 15-20 minutes on multiple occaisions over the long, snowy ohio winter. The idea was to soak the plates in situ. After each run I would remove the ty-wrap, put the bike in gear, move it a foot and redo the ty-wrap to get another part of the clutch plates in the oil. This helped significantly but did not alleviate all the issues.

I just changed over to Rotella synthetic, filled the resevior to the high end of the band, and ran the bike on the centerstand (previous runs on sidestand) with the clutch engaged for 15-20 minutes. This appears to have made a huge difference. The shifting is now much smoother and the neutral to 1st lurch is not really a lurch and is only noticeable when the bike is cold - when warm, just a snick-click.

One point regarding the steel discs. They are die cut and have a sharp side and a rounded side. My clutch was installed with the sharp sides facing out. Always re-install the plates all facing the same direction.

"Also, my bike has the conical ring but no flat ring."

Strike that..Flat ring is there...Post clutch soak shows no hang-ups..Me, on the other hand....

Hey Gang, 2007 AE With 1100 Miles

I just took mine to the Local Yami Dealer and asked them to do a clutch soak job. Luckily the mechanic that worked there has an 07FJR1300 with 30K on it and was having the same problem. I have an AE and it was surging pretty bad when cold.

They did the soak and now it's smooth as butter. Night and Day difference. So Another big thank you to the forum!

FYI-The work was covered under warranty and I have the Y.E.S. plan as well.

Had a quick read through this and sorry if I missed it in someones posts but is it worth mentioning to clean up the steel discs also. My shop said that some clutches are sticky from new however they mostly improve as the oil spalshes around the clutch and washes off the assembly grease that was on them. When I touched the steel plates between the clutch plates they were really sticky with grease, more so than the clutch plates, and perhaps the soak is just allowing the plates to separate easier between the steels. I'm no mechanic, its just an oberservation since having mine done.

I have read this thread, but am still uncertain if any of this applies to an '06 AE (I know Ironhorse has an other year AE). Does it? Or is this only for non-AE's?

Thanks FJR studs.

I have read this thread, but am still uncertain if any of this applies to an '06 AE (I know Ironhorse has an other year AE). Does it? Or is this only for non-AE's?
Thanks FJR studs.
AEs are just the same, their clutch is no different.

Symptoms: Clunk from neutral into first, juddering on slow move-offs from rest (particularly when being gentle), difficulty to get smooth gear changes (particularly 1st to 2nd), can be a reluctance to disengage the clutch coming to rest.

Clutch soak has improved all of these on mine.

Thanks FJR studs.

Symptoms: Clunk from neutral into first, juddering on slow move-offs from rest (particularly when being gentle), difficulty to get smooth gear changes (particularly 1st to 2nd), can be a reluctance to disengage the clutch coming to rest.

It has eliminated all these symptoms on mine...Just did 1200 miles to Biketoberfest and back..Bike performed perfectly, weather sucked on the ride. Lowest mpg was 40 highest was near 60!!

Thanks FJR studs.

It has eliminated all these symptoms on mine...Just did 1200 miles to Biketoberfest and back..Bike performed perfectly, weather sucked on the ride. Lowest mpg was 40 highest was near 60!!
Not to be off topic, but how fast were you averaging? I get an average mileage of about 38 mpg commuting to & fro work.

And to certain this post is on topic: I use my clutch in my commute! :rolleyes: