17 MPG Instant Reading problem fixed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
My early 06 suffered from the 17 mpg maximum reading syndrome. Dealer just fixed it.. Got my pretty little sticker affixed to the inside of the glove box stating the original miles. Seems kind of strange to see 000003 miles on the odo.. Anyway - didn't realize they had to replace the entire cluster.. now I have a new, scratch-free tach, speedo and information panel! :yahoo: This time I'll be more careful when cleaning the soft plastic of the speedo lense...

Good to know. I wasn't going to do the fix. However, if I goober up part of my instrument cluster, I'll probably get it done...

Forgot to mention that my sticky-needle at key-on problem has not yet resurface either.. so maybe this replacment fixed 3 issues.. time will tell.

My early 06 suffered from the 17 mpg maximum reading syndrome. Dealer just fixed it.. Got my pretty little sticker affixed to the inside of the glove box stating the original miles. Seems kind of strange to see 000003 miles on the odo.. Anyway - didn't realize they had to replace the entire cluster.. now I have a new, scratch-free tach, speedo and information panel! :yahoo: This time I'll be more careful when cleaning the soft plastic of the speedo lense...
Plastic polish, same shit you'd use on the WS, will work nicely on cluster lenses, as well as headlight lenses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine has the "17mpg" thing. I've got almost 2k on the bike now. I don't want to switch it out. Changed ODO numbers always feel fishy to me when buying vehicles. I didn't even know this bike had that option when I was shopping, and I'm so used to doing a cursor check when I finish pumping gas to get my recent MPG that it's (for me) a complete non-issue.

I've had my FJR for a week now, and it has the "17 MPG" demon. I have already contacted the dealer, and they will have the replacement gauges in the next day or two. I will just have to shop their showroom while they install the new gauges. I'm still a little pissed that they didn't do this before I picked up the bike. Typical.

I don't even care about that defect. That's not what I look at while I am riding.

I had my bike detailed, however(it was a gift), and my windshield is badly scratched. I am totally bummed about that.

Does anyone know if there is a time limit on this repair? Would this be an original owner only deal? May need to ask dealer. I don't see any real usefull purpose for the instant mpg reading. But I may change my mind or buger the lens or something else up down the road and want it replaced for other reasons.

I had my bike detailed, however(it was a gift), and my windshield is badly scratched. I am totally bummed about that.
+1

I can hardly touch the stock shield on the '06 w/o scratching it. A couple months ago, I ran the top of my finger along an existing scratch (the top of my fingernail, not the end of it that I snip) and it put another scratch on there. I have a nice little cross now. The thing is soooo soft.

Same issue with the scratches...I made the mistake of waiting until the 600mi. checkup to point out the problem and the dealer wouldn't go for replacement. Some druel got carried away in setting up the bike, (not done at the dealer) and messed the window up. I was so excited about getting the bike I didn't notice the scratches. I will be searching out for a polishing kit and DIMS. PM. <>< :angry2:

I tried polishing with some Novus product...to no avail. It only looked worse. Sad.

I was thinking of replacing it with a smoked or blue one(if available). It may make the bike look too bulbous from the front though.

I paid for a bike with instantaneous mpg readout. Plus, I'm a sucker for trip computers. Anyway, since Yamaha can easily fix it I let them.

Good News - My dealer simply replaced my meter assembly with a new one. It took them almost four weeks to get the meter. However, the instantaneous MPG now works!

Bad News - The mechanic told me as I walked in that he had an "accident" while working on my bike. That's never a good thing to hear. Sure enough, somehow he managed to put a two-inch gouge on the side of the fairing. Of course, it's right where it shows the most, and it's not going to buff out. Plus, it's not on a small replaceable panel, it's on the main big expensive piece. He told me the I would have to live with it...

Good News - ...for a few weeks while he ordered a new fairing from Yamaha, on him. Man, I'd hate to be that guy when his boss sees the bill for that. Do shops have insurance for that kind of thing, or is the shop going to eat it?

Last edited by a moderator:
not that it matters, but I'm not gonna get it fixed. I'd never use that feature even if it was operable... so it seems unimportant in the long run.

who knows maybe I'll regret if ever want to sell,

or maybe not.

glad to hear you all are happy with it though.

Also had the cluster replaced and the mechanic managed to put some deep scratches in glove box lid. :angry2:

So, he told me he would get me a replacement. <_<

Now two weeks went by, so I called and ask about the new lid and when they thought it would get here.

The reply was...the lid is not available by itself, I guess the complete panel has to be replaced. :huh:

So I asked, now what? His reply... we're working with yamaha to get it resolved. :unsure:

the 17mpg thing is not that important to me to have the ODO reset. the way I see it, if you have enuff time to constantly check the instant mileage, your not paying attention to the road enuff. also I don't need some kid with a sharp object (read: screw driver) in the dealers shop anywhere near the pretty blue painted parts of my bike... <_<

I've had my FJR for a week now, and it has the "17 MPG" demon. I have already contacted the dealer, and they will have the replacement gauges in the next day or two. I will just have to shop their showroom while they install the new gauges. I'm still a little pissed that they didn't do this before I picked up the bike. Typical.

I think a really good dealer would have had this taken care of. The dealer I got my bike from said he was fixing all the FJR's he still had in stock before they go out the door.

For all of you guys that missed it, the ODO can be brought up to your current milage. I had it done on my bike and the dealer paid for it.