2006 FJR1300A or 2003 BMW K1200GT?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sradek

Redbird!!
Reaction score
I need to decide, but how?

I can't test ride a FJR, but I can test ride a 2003 K1200GT w/ ABS (~$10K)

A 2006 FJR is available in PA for $12.5K (now has ABS std.)

(I can't afford a new BMW.)

My mind is playing games. I like the +sport part of FJR and the +comfort of the GT - long distance touring being equal.

Also, I need to sell my 2006 V-MAX.

btw. My Yamaha dealer doesn't want to buy back my V-MAX even if I were to order a FJR through them ... he claims business is slow, etc. Oh, well. I have to figure out a way to sell / trade.

The K1200GT isn't all that comfortable.

I almost bought a 2005 K1200GT. I'm glad I didn't.

The FJR is better, not just cheaper.

I need to decide, but how?I can't test ride a FJR, but I can test ride a 2003 K1200GT w/ ABS (~$10K)

My mind is playing games. I like the +sport part of FJR and the +comfort of the GT - long distance touring being equal.

btw. My Yamaha dealer doesn't want to buy back my V-MAX even if I were to order a FJR through them ... he claims business is slow, etc. Oh, well. I have to figure out a way to sell / trade.
You'll find that if you want to do some serious distance on the GT that you will be doing some modifications - specically the seat and will try to come up with a heat fix. It is WAY hotter than the '06 FJR.

then there is the maintenence costs - see what a sevice II costs at your beemer dealership

I need to decide, but how?

I can't test ride a FJR, but I can test ride a 2003 K1200GT w/ ABS (~$10K)

You'll find that if you want to do some serious distance on the GT that you will be doing some modifications - specically the seat and will try to come up with a heat fix. It is WAY hotter than the '06 FJR.

then there is the maintenence costs - see what a sevice II costs at your beemer dealership
GT is hotter than 06 FJR? Hmmm. What kinda fix is out there for heat on a GT?

both nice bikes. My decision was between a 2004 K1200GT, 2005 BMW R1200RT and the FJR (after I eliminated all other contenders).

The RT and the FJR both get into turns a lot easier than the GT. The GT's engine is as smooth as the FJR's.

FJR handles as well as the RT and is as smooth as the GT plus:

- get bigger sidebags (GT sidecases have to go around the pipe that sticks up at an angle)

-looks better without sidecases on

- better long distance riding position

- less expensive maintenance

All that said, and I think the K1200GT is a great bike...get what you like best.

Last edited by a moderator:
All that said, and I think the K1200GT is a great bike...get what you like best.
+1! Get whatever "floats your boat". For me, after a combined 33K+ on my '04 and the replacement '05, I still look in my garage and smile and giggle. The FJR makes my heart sing. Find the bike that does that for you and buy it.

The 2003 GT is not likely to be more comfortable for you than the FJR. The GT puts you a good deal further forward, perhaps putting more weight on your wrists. The GT also puts more heat on the rider than the 2006 FJR.

The 2003 GT is not an equal to the 2006 FJR in the touring department. The FJR has a bigger fuel tank, is more comfortable, and has two *full* sized saddlebags. The 2003 GT had a left side saddle bag that gave up almost half its space to where the exhaust pipe was routed under it. The strange shape of the remaining space in the left side saddlebag made it hard to find anything that would fit in there. Also, if you're doing very long distance touring, the Yamaha dealer network is easier to come across by chance in the wild than the BMW dealer network.

Having ridden the 2003 GT and the 2006 FJR, there's no question in my mind I'd buy the FJR if presented with the deal you are being presented with.

Well I've got a beautiful 2002 K1200RS I bought new with all the options; the only difference between it and a K1200GT of that year and all years up to 2005 being a few very small plastic fairing add-ons. I suspect the K2 would take the FJR fairly easily on a straight or winding road, but I don't know where you got the idea it's more comfortable.

I've added a Sargent seat, Verholen peg-lowering and bar-back kits, the higher BMW "Sport" windshield and an Airhawk seat cushion and still get pretty tired after a 400 mile day. Yes, I'm out of shape and that sure doesn't help the problem. I like everything about my BMW (it's my second) except the getting tired part, including the engine smoothness, heated grips and especially the perfectly-operating factory electronic cruise-control.

I'm new on this board because I'm figuring I'm going to sell it soon and perhaps buy either a new-style BMW K1200GT (completely re-engineered and very much improved for long-distance riding this year) or the more economical FJR which I recently learned about in MCN magazine. Guess you could say I like the +sport part of the K12 and the +comfort of the FJR!

Beemers are overpriced and largely overrated. Put the money you'll save to work on some customisation on your FJR. Start with heated grips and then move on to the exhausts -- liberate some of that great inline-four noise through a pair of Neptunes! www.neptunemufflers.co.nz

Whooar!

I suspect the K2 would take the FJR fairly easily on a straight or winding road, but I don't know where you got the idea it's more comfortable.
And that, my friends, is how they sell BMWs. Assuming you meant K12 above, I feel I should point out that the straight line tests have been done, and the 2003 K12 just does not measure up to the FJR. Here are the facts:

MCNEWS FJR PERFORMANCE DATA

MCNEWS K12GT PERFORMANCE DATA

And that, my friends, is how they sell BMWs.
Ari... I suspected my comment about the K12 taking the FJR would draw a quick rebuttal or two, but it's not really how they sell BMW's, for performance is not a normal topic of conversation between the kind of owners those bikes attract. Owners of other brands will invariably will tell you they're overrated, but I don't think so. Every single part and piece is finished well (mine shows absolutely no sign of its age anywhere) and they're very long-lived motorcycles too. Then again they certainly ought to be considering their cost!

I've been riding a long time, but the only Japanese bike I've owned was a Honda 305 Super Hawk back in the early 1960's. Had never considered another UJM until I read the recent MCN report about the FJR. I'll had one miraculous "save" and so will never ride another bike without ABS, and I suddenly realized the FZR was a good-looking and possibly "comfortable" sport-tourer at reasonable cost. I have some concerns about fit, finish and long-term service problems, and hope this board can offer some answers.

44084952-M.jpg

Very different bikes.

The GT is in the grand-touring sportbike genre, like the Busa, Blackbird, and ZX12/ZX14. These machines are really big, comfortable, very-fast, sportbikes.

The FJR is a true middle-weight sport-touring bike, about halfway between a standard and a grand-touring bike like the GoldWing. It's got much better weather protection, more upright riding position, etc. It is a reasonably good-handling bike but it doesn't have a sportbike feel or appearance.

In all these head-to-head tests, the FJR has come out on top. It offers similar performance, is more comfortable, and doesn't have the flaws of the BMW (limited range, compromise left saddelbag, clunky and problematic ABS system). That being said, GT sportbikes give you a much sportier ride than an FJR, and the BMW is incredibly smooth and a unique ride. It does appeal to many. However, I'd strongly argue that unless you're really hungup on shaft drive and factory luggage, you can get a lot more performance and better all-around bike with a Blackbird or Busa. You can pick up VERY NICE Blackbirds these days for $5K or so.

- Mark

I'll tell you right now, you do NOT want a 1200GT. If you can't afford a new BMW, you sure as hell can't afford the maintenance on a used one. For the $2,500 difference you will pay more than that the first time you have the clutch replaced on the GT. Beside the fact that you will be looking for gas at 180 miles on the GT and walking at 200 miles, and get about 5 mpg less. Also you only get 1 1/2 saddlebags!

The 1200GT was cobbled together out of the K1200RS. They just added a couple pieces to the fairing, put a electric windshield and heated seat on it.

The only reason to buy the Beemer is if you have to have one to get into the BMW rallies.

Tom

And that, my friends, is how they sell BMWs.
Ari... I suspected my comment about the K12 taking the FJR would draw a quick rebuttal or two, but it's not really how they sell BMW's, for performance is not a normal topic of conversation between the kind of owners those bikes attract. Owners of other brands will invariably will tell you they're overrated, but I don't think so. Every single part and piece is finished well (mine shows absolutely no sign of its age anywhere) and they're very long-lived motorcycles too. Then again they certainly ought to be considering their cost!

I've been riding a long time, but the only Japanese bike I've owned was a Honda 305 Super Hawk back in the early 1960's. Had never considered another UJM until I read the recent MCN report about the FJR. I'll had one miraculous "save" and so will never ride another bike without ABS, and I suddenly realized the FZR was a good-looking and possibly "comfortable" sport-tourer at reasonable cost. I have some concerns about fit, finish and long-term service problems, and hope this board can offer some answers.

44084952-M.jpg
This board will never help you with your long term service problems. FJR's don't have problems with rear drives, clutches, transmission bearings etc. that your BMW has.

Your might want to check out the BMW sights... :D

Tom

Very different bikes.
The GT is in the grand-touring sportbike genre, like the Busa, Blackbird, and ZX12/ZX14. These machines are really big, comfortable, very-fast, sportbikes.

The FJR is a true middle-weight sport-touring bike, about halfway between a standard and a grand-touring bike like the GoldWing. It's got much better weather protection, more upright riding position, etc. It is a reasonably good-handling bike but it doesn't have a sportbike feel or appearance.

In all these head-to-head tests, the FJR has come out on top. It offers similar performance, is more comfortable, and doesn't have the flaws of the BMW (limited range, compromise left saddelbag, clunky and problematic ABS system). That being said, GT sportbikes give you a much sportier ride than an FJR, and the BMW is incredibly smooth and a unique ride. It does appeal to many. However, I'd strongly argue that unless you're really hungup on shaft drive and factory luggage, you can get a lot more performance and better all-around bike with a Blackbird or Busa. You can pick up VERY NICE Blackbirds these days for $5K or so.

- Mark
I think you might have missed the point that he was talking about a used K1200GT, not the new 4 cylinder GT.

Tom

I think you might have missed the point that he was talking about a used K1200GT, not the new 4 cylinder GT.
Didin't miss it at all. I was specifically referring to the old GT which I view as a shaft-drive, factory hard-bagged Busa or Blackbird.

- Mark

Didin't miss it at all. I was specifically referring to the old GT which I view as a shaft-drive, factory hard-bagged Busa or Blackbird.

- Mark
--Except heavier, slower and, y'know, more expensive....

Ari... I suspected my comment about the K12 taking the FJR would draw a quick rebuttal or two, but it's not really how they sell BMW's, for performance is not a normal topic of conversation between the kind of owners those bikes attract.
Yeah, except YOU freaking MADE IT A TOPIC OF CONVERSATION when you erroneously stated "I suspect the K2 would take the FJR fairly easily on a straight or winding road".

These are YOUR words:

I suspect the K2 would take the FJR fairly easily on a straight or winding road, but I don't know where you got the idea it's more comfortable.
These are MY words, which appeared in a post quoting your words (see immediately above):

And that, my friends, is how they sell BMWs. Assuming you meant K12 above, I feel I should point out that the straight line tests have been done, and the 2003 K12 just does not measure up to the FJR. Here are the facts:

In other words, the post responded to YOUR assertion that the K2 [sic] would "take the FJR fairly easily on a straight or winding road". You catching on? No? What's your native language? Maybe I speak that, and we can give that a go?

I was very disappointed when I saw the high aggression level evident in some of the remarks directed at me above. Having just joined, I believed I was discussing things pleasantly enough, but evidently I've stumbled into some sort of secret pissing contest among a couple of juvenile members without meaning to. I hope I won't find a similar level of rudeness from members in other sections of the board.

I was very disappointed when I saw the high aggression level evident in some of the remarks directed at me above. Having just joined, I believed I was discussing things pleasantly enough, but evidently I've stumbled into some sort of secret pissing contest among a couple of juvenile members without meaning to. I hope I won't find a similar level of rudeness from members in other sections of the board.
Assuming it must happen often enough for you to make some qualitative statements about the data, though you don't seem to need any data at all to make qualitative statements about data, as observable below,

the only Japanese bike I've owned was a Honda 305 Super Hawk back in the early 1960's

I suspect the K2 would take the FJR fairly easily on a straight or winding road

performance is not a normal topic of conversation between the kind of owners those bikes [bMWs, ed.] attract

Had never considered another UJM

I have some concerns about fit, finish and long-term service problems

Guess you could say I like the +sport part of the K12 and the +comfort of the FJR!
what percentage of the times a stranger hauls off and busts a cap in your ass do you find it to be a completely unprovoked act of agression?

I think your answer to the above question will provide all the insight necessary to determine whether your experience on this board will improve with more posts.

This thread has taken a hilarious turn. :assassin:

Poor sradek, his thread has become a travishamockery.

It sounds like you are working with the wrong dealer. Find one that wants to work with you more. Go in and tell them that you can test ride the competition. That might help get a test ride. See how fast the give you the keys.

And stick with the FJR, you will NOT be sorry. Notice I said nothing bad about the BMW....