2006 FJR1300AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VFRMike

Reaction score
In Sport Rider Magazine (oct 05) they indicate that there will indeed be two versions of the FJR 1300. The main difference between the two models is the electronic transmission on the E model. Apparently "All the rider does is tell the ECU to change gears by either a pair of buttons on the left handlebar (thumb operated for downshifts, index finger for upshifts) or a lever residing in the conventional gear lever's location, which is attached to a sensor unit, not the transmission. There is no clutch lever; the electro-hydrolic gearbox not only controls shifting, but also manipulates clutch action on take-off, stopping, and shifting in both acceleration and deceleration." Adds 17.6 lbs. There are other changes with the E version to read about but thought this would be the one you all would appreciate (or not)reading about.

VFRMike

Hmm... That's what a lot of us have surmized. Wonder if Sport Rider is gonna get into MamaYami's doghouse by releasing info too early? I assume the next issue or so of all the rags (MC/CY) will also have a write up.

Yea, I want to get one, put a normal clutch lever on it and have the worlds biggest PTT switch! :yahoo:

I'd a settled for more alternator output and/or cruise control, although if true, sounds like a pretty trick setup.

As long as they keep it optional. I would prefer that they move the ABS and integral brakes to the option list as well. Then Yamaha would be able to fill 2 niches with one bike; the SPORT touring niche where I like to live, and the more touring oriented folks who might be buying the ST and other alternatives today.

I wonder if you have to back off before changing gears. It would be a blast to have automatic-like shifting. But it would probably rob some power as well. :(

It sounds like another PDP is immenent, what with options and all.

Uh, excuse me, but WHY? Is it faster? Easier? Safer? Better in some way I can't see? NO! It's just more STUFF, more complex, more things to break.

I just don't get it. OK, maybe you're the guy who bought RADD or something and you want someting nobody else has. I'll grant you that. But are there any other reasons to consider this? Maybe paraplegic riders with a hack?

I'm confused.

This isn't a transmission thing, it is a shifter control (bionic foot) and a clutch controller (bionic hand). When you tap the shift button the bionic hand (typically) retards timing while engaging the clutch, the bionic foot makes the mechanical shift just as your foot would have and then the clutch releases. Bionics shift much faster than you can, the trick is how the clutch behaves. :erm:

Alan

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh, excuse me, but WHY? Is it faster? Easier? Safer? Better in some way I can't see? NO! It's just more STUFF, more complex, more things to break.
I just don't get it. OK, maybe you're the guy who bought RADD or something and you want someting nobody else has. I'll grant you that. But are there any other reasons to consider this? Maybe paraplegic riders with a hack?

I'm confused.
Cooler. There are bikes with this (Ducati) and they are copying the racing shift mecahisms found first in formula one race cars (and now all the way down to the new GTO)

My fear: Some newbie rider who is afraid of a clutch thinks "I'm getting an FJR because the shifting is so easy."

I like to "Ride my bikes" and riding includes pulling clutch levers and manually shifting gears with my foot! This gimick is for the lazy crowd! Buy a Burgman scooter then! Jeez

The "E" stands for EEEWWWWWWWWW.

Gay ass lazy riding is for scooters and the sidewalk.

Anyway, I can easily do very fast clutchless shifting at high rpms on my 04.

Is Sport Rider nationally distributed or a local rag?

Where do I get a copy?

Sorry for the ignorance, just haven't seen it on any of the local racks..

**** this. Have the people at the factory lost their mind?? They must be trying to turn this thing into a scooter. Shift speed is not a priority - if racing were the target activity, they would have cut the weight and excess. But its not, this is a touring bike.

Like RTR said - I like to shift. I like the clutch. I like the control. If I want to cruise lazily I'll hop in my SUV which has an AUTOMATIC.

This is an absolute pile of crap. Just leave my bike alone!!

-BD

**** this. Have the people at the factory lost their mind?? They must be trying to turn this thing into a scooter. Shift speed is not a priority - if racing were the target activity, they would have cut the weight and excess. But its not, this is a touring bike.
Like RTR said - I like to shift. I like the clutch. I like the control. If I want to cruise lazily I'll hop in my SUV which has an AUTOMATIC.

This is an absolute pile of crap. Just leave my bike alone!!

-BD
Oh, c'mon, peeps! Not to worry! Kawasaki is introducing the ZZR1300 this year... Next year they'll take that motor and plop it into a revised Connie that'll spank the new Feej...

Wanna bet? ;)